Hyper 212 evo? Overclocking

adamsjus1

So I just finished building my friend his pc with a FX- 8320 and he wants to know what cooler he should get for overclocking. With safe temps how far would the hyper 212 go? 

And yes I am aware that the overclocking is mostly about how far the chip wants to go. 

A 212 EVO is much better than stock cooler, but if he wants maximum overclock he will have to get an aio water cooler

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Depends on the budget. If you're on a tight budget get the 212 evo then the Enermax ETS 40 and so on

Steve

We don't know; like you said, it's mostly about your luck in the silicon lottery. 8320s already run hot, so you won't get any more than a mild overclock.

Like what speed do you think would run with okay temps using the hyper 212 evo!

Like what speed do you think would run with okay temps using the hyper 212 evo!

I'm afraid you've got it backwards

Go as high as you can go, within a reasonable temperature. Your temp will be your limiting factor before you max out the chip.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266044-fx-8350-safe-temps/

I'm afraid you've got it backwards

Go as high as you can go, within a reasonable temperature. Your temp will be your limiting factor before you max out the chip.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266044-fx-8350-safe-temps/

Thats what I am asking! Trying to figure out how high people have pushed a fx 8320 with the hyper 212 with good temps.  I would think it would be able to handle around 4.2 but not much more but I don't know for sure. 

Thats what I am asking! Trying to figure out how high people have pushed a fx 8320 with the hyper 212 with good temps.  I would think it would be able to handle around 4.2 but not much more but I don't know for sure. 

Each chip is different, how high you can go depends on your cooling, and the silicon lottery.

You're cooler isn't really all that important either. All that matters is your temps.

So overclock until your load temps are as high as you feel comfortable.

The thread I linked stated not to go above 60C on the 8350. So IF it were me, and I was overclocking, I would keep my chip under 55C. That way when your ambient temperature changes, you will still have some breathing room. So in this scenario, I would continue to up the voltage and multiplier until the load temperature reached 55C. Now obviously, changing your heatsink to something more efficient will let you overclock higher. But only to a point.

Take this for example. When I overclock, I go slow and steady. The core i7 can turbo out of box to 3.9 GHz, so I started my overclocking at 4GHz. I recorded the voltage required for each multiplier past 40. So 41,42,43,44,45,46,47 etc...

I no longer have my spreadsheet saved, but I do remember the 3 threshold values.

@ 4.4GHz I needed 1.28 vCore

@ 4.5GHz I needed 1.31 vCore

@ 4.6GHz I needed 1.38 vCore

@ 4.7GHz I needed 1.43 vCore

Now, I am personally not comfortable running 1.43 vCore 24/7. So I immediately scratched that off my list. The real world benefits of 100Mhz is pretty negligible, but the heat difference from 1.31v to 1.38v is pretty substantial. Because of that, I chose NOT to use 4.6GHz. This left my maximum, comfortable overclock, of 4.5GHz @ 1.31 vCore.

Couple of things to note here, I'm using an intel chip, so it's not an apples to apples comparison. These numbers were also with a Corsair H100i w/ a push/pull config. This meant that I didn't really have to worry about my temps, YOU DO.

Hopefully, you can understand what I am trying to explain here though. You will just need to experiment with various voltages and multipliers until you are comfortable with your results. If you notice something runs too hot under load, then you have found your ceiling, and start working backwards from there.