Noctua NH-D15 or CM Nepton 280L in a Bitfenix Ronin?

AdrianHasGame

Which would be better for cooling? Which one would be more effecient? Should I use a different case? If you think I should change case, what case should I use?

MY PC: Some random ok-ish laptop

Not to sound biased, but those Noctua coolers are freaking massive :blink: I would lean towards the Nepton

Yes, you should choose a different case. Bitfenix cases, aren't very good with the exception of a few.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Yes, you should choose a different case. Bitfenix cases, aren't very good with the exception of a few.

Which case should I choose?

NZXT H440 :P

Do you think I should just not get a fan controller and an optical drive?

Give the Define R5 from fractal design a try. It's roughly 120 bucks and absolutely amazing for options. Also on the topic of cooler, the noctua d15 is a beast. It might even be on par with the 280L, maybe a couple degrees higher if airflow is limited. It's not the best looking though.

Do you think I should just not get a fan controller and an optical drive?

Personally, I don't have a fan controller, don't really need one, and the three fans at the front of the case I have undervolted with an adapter, so that is that :) and optical drive? I have one external Blu-ray drive, but I have used it maybe once/twice in the past 3 months, so... depends on how often do you use it. External is always a good option :) Check my build log if you want and see how the case looks with hardware installed :)

Phanteks Enthoo Pro/Luxe

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Decided to go with an NZXT H440. I always liked it. I also have always wanted to put a custom design on the right side panel haha

Define R5 + NH-D15 = near silent. I would go for that...

Give the Define R5 from fractal design a try. It's roughly 120 bucks and absolutely amazing for options. Also on the topic of cooler, the noctua d15 is a beast. It might even be on par with the 280L, maybe a couple degrees higher if airflow is limited. It's not the best looking though.

I am NOT a fan of the swinging door design. I think it's weird. If the R5 had an alternate version with no optical bays and no swing door, I might consider it. Also, I decided to go for the Nepton 280L because I decided to switch to the H440 and the airflow is not the best in it.