Good build for 1440p Gaming?

Hello

I am fairly new to this forum, but i came here to get some opionions on my first rig. I have a budget of about 4000 dollars and what i am planning to do with this build is to play games at smooth and stable fps at the highest settings as possible. More specifically, i wanna play games such as Thief, Dayz Standalone, Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield Hardline etc. I am NOT going to overclock this rig, therefore i decided to go a little bit of an overkill on the GPU and CPU while staying under my budget.

Here are the parts that i picked for my rig:

Case:                                                Corsair Obsidian 450D

Monitor:                                            BenQ 32" LED BL3200PT 2560x1440p

Power Supply:                                  Corsair RM1000, 1000W PSU

RAM:                                                 HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz, 16GB  (2x8GB)

CPU:                                                 Intel Core i7-4790k

CPU cooler:                                      Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

SSD:                                                 Kingston SSD V300 120GB 450MB/s

Motherboard:                                    MSI Z97S

GPU:                                                 Sapphire Radeon R9 295x2 8GB DDR5

HDD:                                                 Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 6Gb/s sata 3.0

Optical Drive:                                    Basic cheap DVD+RW

I also have keyboard and headphones with the purchase, but they wont affect performance as much.

Also i would appreciate it alot if you could help me tweak the list a little bit, make some changes here and there.

I have not purchased the parts yet, although i am planning to build this rig by the end of summer. (I apologize for my terrible english).

EDITS ON THIS RIG IS IN THE REPLIES SECTION

instead of an R9 295X2, get two 290X's. They'll cost less, be easier to cool and will have better power delivery. and they look nicer.

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

Dont get that SSD. It has many problems with the controller and is really slow

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

i would wait for new cards to come out, or consider nvidia's offerings?

Hello

I am fairly new to this forum, but i came here to get some opionions on my first rig. I have a budget of about 4000 dollars and what i am planning to do with this build is to play games at smooth and stable fps at the highest settings as possible. More specifically, i wanna play games such as Thief, Dayz Standalone, Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield Hardline etc. I am not going to overclock this rig, therefore i decided to go a little bit of an overkill on the GPU and CPU while staying under my budget.

Here are the parts that i picked for my rig:

Case:                                                Corsair Obsidian 450D

Monitor:                                            BenQ 32" LED BL3200PT 2560x1440p

Power Supply:                                  Corsair RM1000, 10000W PSU

RAM:                                                 HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz, 16GB  (2x8GB)

CPU:                                                 Intel Core i7-4790k

CPU cooler:                                      Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

SSD:                                                 Kingston SSD V300 120GB 450MB/s

Motherboard:                                    MSI Z97S

GPU:                                                 Sapphire Radeon R9 295x2 8GB DDR5

HDD:                                                 Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 6Gb/s sata 3.0

Optical Drive:                                    Basic DVD+RW writer that i got from my brother

I also have keyboard and headphones with the purchase, but they wont affect performance as much.

Also i would appreciate it alot if you could help me tweak the list a little bit, make some changes here and there.

I have not purchased the parts yet, although i am planning to build this rig by the end of summer. (I apologize for my terrible english).

How much are you planning to pay for that 295x2?

How much are you planning to pay for that 295x2?

Well, its for about 860 dollars right now, it seems like a good deal to me, considering the fact that all the stores around my area are selling it for 100 more dollars

Dont get that SSD. It has many problems with the controller and is really slow

Thanks for the input!

Do you think i should go for a HyperX Fury SSD Instead? They seem cheaper, and are a bit more reliable.

Well, its for about 860 dollars right now, it seems like a good deal to me, considering the fact that all the stores around my area are selling it for 100 more dollars

Still it's hot as heck, still technically 2 GPUs running in Crossfire, and use too much power. I'd suggest you get 2 970 instead?

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Still it's hot as heck, still technically 2 GPUs running in Crossfire, and use too much power. I'd suggest you get 2 970 instead?

Yeah, i get the fact that it runs on high tempratures, but that's what you're gonna get when u got 2 gpus in one card. Arent the GTX 970s flawed? I heard they run on 3.5GB instead of 4GB :S

Also, the max temprature that people have got the card to is 85 Degrees Celcius at 100% load for a long period of time. This card has 8GB in it. i really doubt that a game at ultra settings in 1440p is at 100% GPU load for that long. 

Yeah, i get the fact that it runs on high tempratures, but that's what you're gonna get when u got 2 gpus in one card. Arent the GTX 970s flawed? I heard they run on 3.5GB instead of 4GB :S

Also, the max temprature that people have got the card to is 85 Degrees Celcius at 100% load for a long period of time. This card has 8GB in it. i really doubt that a game at ultra settings in 1440p is at 100% GPU load for that long.

Yeah it's 3.5, but it's fine really, dont forget that the so call "8GB" in the R9 295x2 is actually 4GB per GPU (it will only become true 8GB if DX12 really combined GPU VRAM, in which it also mean 2 970 will now have 7GB of VRAM), so there isnt much of a different there to begin with. And for your record, as long as the game is optimized, it SHOULD run at 90+% load at all time, you wouldnt want to spend money on a GPU that just sit there doing nothing while it could use more of it GPU power to provided more fps isnt it? (Prime example would be World of Tanks, it stuck at around 50-60fps no matter what GPU you have, and it only use about 40% GPU load while almost every other games use ~90-100% all the time...)

And for your record, the MSI GTX 970 Gaming I have even on long-time benchmark, overclocked with 110% power limit, (needless to say, 100% GPU load all the time) stay at around 63 degree Celsius. Also it use way less power, to the point where you can run 2 GTX 970 on a 600-650W PSU, so you dont need such a powerhouse 1000W PSU there.

For your record

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

@Moamal

Which store are you planning to buy from ? And what is your budget in Norwegian Krone ?

Your English is very good by the way.

I'd drop the 295x2 and get a GTX 980 or 2 970s personally and save money, either is fine in 1440p.

You could then drop to a max 750w PSU and save even more $$$.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

@Moamal

Which store are you planning to buy from ? And what is your budget in Norwegian Krone ?

Your English is very good by the way.

All in all, the whole thing will end up at about 28 000 Norwegian Krone.I am planning to buy everything except the GPU from Komplett.no. The GPU will be purchased from Netonnet.no

Thanks for the input!

Do you think i should go for a HyperX Fury SSD Instead? They seem cheaper, and are a bit more reliable.

That SSD is fine. I personally use Intel 730 series. I think Reliability > Speed

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I would do something like this.

The Titan X is the same price at both stores. It will run 1440p very well and works out slightly cheaper than 2 x GTX 980's.

If you want to bring the cost down then you could change to a single GTX 980.

The 750W psu will run SLI with the Titan X or GTX 980.

24y2xdj.jpg

I would do something like this.

The Titan X is the same price at both stores. It will run 1440p very well and works out slightly cheaper than 2 x GTX 980's.

If you want to bring the cost down then you could change to a single GTX 980.

The 750W psu will run SLI with the Titan X or GTX 980.

24y2xdj.jpg

Why a Full tower? isnt a mid tower enough, or do i need more airflow?

Why a Full tower? isnt a mid tower enough, or do i need mroe airflow?

The Phanteks case isn't that much bigger than the 450D. If you prefer the Corsair case then just swap it over. Everything in my list above will fit in the 450D.

The Phanteks case isn't that much bigger than the 450D. If you prefer the Corsair case then just swap it over. Everything in my list above will fit in the 450D.

I also forgot to mention that i render alot of videos with many effects, which will add up to longer render time. Do you think i should stick with the 4790k and 16GB of ram? or is that an overkill?

I also forgot to mention that i render alot of videos with many effects, which will add up to longer render time. Do you think i should stick with the 4790k and 16GB of ram? or is that an overkill?

The i7 will definitely help with rendering, as will 16GB Ram.

https://www.komplett.no/intel-core-i7-4790k/817261

https://www.komplett.no/hyperx-fury-ddr3-1866mhz-16gb-red/812886

Swapping the i5 4690K and 8GB Ram for the i7 4790K and 16GB Ram makes it 28,258 Norwegian Krone overall.

The i7 will definitely help with rendering, as will 16GB Ram.

https://www.komplett.no/intel-core-i7-4790k/817261

https://www.komplett.no/hyperx-fury-ddr3-1866mhz-16gb-red/812886

Swapping the i5 4690K and 8GB Ram for the i7 4790K and 16GB Ram makes it 28,258 Norwegian Krone overall.

This is what my build looks like at the moment:

zE3Mq7k.png?1

I added 3 anti-static wristbands for me and my friends who are going to assist me in building this rig. Also i chose to stay with the MSI Z97S because i like black and white color combination  :D I am thinking about switching this case to the one you linked, not entirely sure yet. That extra space could come in handy in the future. The monitor you linked really caught my attention, it looks really aesthetic and it has G-sync support, which is amazing!

This is what my build looks like at the moment:

zE3Mq7k.png?1

I added 3 anti-static wristbands for me and my friends who are going to assist me in building this rig. Also i chose to stay with the MSI Z97S because i like black and white color combination  :D I am thinking about switching this case to the one you linked, not entirely sure yet. That extra space could come in handy in the future. The monitor you linked really caught my attention, it looks really aesthetic and it has G-sync support, which is amazing!

The XFX power supply in my spec is better than the Corsair RM although it costs more.

This EVGA G2 750W is better still, and is cheaper than both - http://www.netonnet.no/art/data/datakomponenter/stromforsyning/evga-supernova750g2/202020.7051/

Here is a review - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=380

You don't really need any thermal paste, as the Coolermaster 212 cooler will have it's own.