Voltage question on OC'ing i7 4790k

Good morning LLT,

I have couple questions on OC'ing my CPU as my Kraken x61 is coming in today.

First thing that I did, of course, was watching LLT's video on how to OC 4790k.

Though I understood most of it, I do have one question about the voltage setting that I believe Linus did not cover (he did say put it back to adaptive but did not go into detail after).

Question -

I did a short AIDA64 test last night and found out that all 4 cores were running at 4.2 Ghz (I believe it OC'd a little through the motherboard) at 1.15V (Not sure why the voltage is so low?). Let's say that I did find my sweet OC setting at 4.7 Ghz at 1.3V and now I have to change the voltage setting back to adaptive. Do I set a limit of +0.15 since the baseline maxed out at 1.15V and I don't want the system to go above 1.3V? A bit more detail would be appreciated.

Thank you.

CASE - CM Storm Stryker, PSU - EVGA 1000 P2 80+ Plat, CPU - i7 4790K w/ NZXT Kraken X61, GPU - MSI GTX 1080 TI Seahawk X, MB - ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII, RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaw X Series (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600, SSD - SAMSUNG 1 TB, DISPLAY - ACER XB270HU + SAMSUNG S24C570HL

Good morning LLT,

I have couple questions on OC'ing my CPU as my Kraken x61 is coming in today.

First thing that I did, of course, was watching LLT's video on how to OC 4790k.

Though I understood most of it, I do have one question about the voltage setting that I believe Linus did not cover (he did say put it back to adaptive but did not go into detail after).

Question -

I did a short AIDA64 test last night and found out that all 4 cores were running at 4.2 Ghz (I believe it OC'd a little through the motherboard) at 1.15V (Not sure why the voltage is so low?). Let's say that I did find my sweet OC setting at 4.7 Ghz at 1.3V and now I have to change the voltage setting back to adaptive. Do I set a limit of +0.15 since the baseline maxed out at 1.15V and I don't want the system to go above 1.3V? A bit more detail would be appreciated.

Thank you.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're asking about how to switch to adaptive mode?

You want to set up the adaptive cpu voltage in exactly the same fashion as you set the manual voltage.  So you will put 1.3V in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage" (I believe that's how it will appear in your bios), and set the offset to 0V.  If you encounter instability at idle or medium load then you will want to shift your core voltage down and increase the offset accordingly (e.g. core 1.25V offset 0.05V).  I made an explanation thread about adaptive instability that explains this in more detail.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

If I'm reading this correctly, you're asking about how to switch to adaptive mode?

You want to set up the adaptive cpu voltage in exactly the same fashion as you set the manual voltage.  So you will put 1.3V in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage" (I believe that's how it will appear in your bios), and set the offset to 0V.  If you encounter instability at idle or medium load then you will want to shift your core voltage down and increase the offset accordingly (e.g. core 1.25V offset 0.05V).  I made an explanation thread about adaptive instability that explains this in more detail.

Thank you for the reply and your thread.

I'll take a look!

CASE - CM Storm Stryker, PSU - EVGA 1000 P2 80+ Plat, CPU - i7 4790K w/ NZXT Kraken X61, GPU - MSI GTX 1080 TI Seahawk X, MB - ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII, RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaw X Series (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600, SSD - SAMSUNG 1 TB, DISPLAY - ACER XB270HU + SAMSUNG S24C570HL