Power supply for GTX 660 Ti

Irfan

Greetings. I have a pretty powerfull computer, but the graphics card is only weak component. I want to change that card with some card from GTX 660 Ti series, but my power supply has 420W, in system requirements of GTX 660 Ti series writes minimum 450W, but graphics cards don't use that much. So my question is, can I run GTX 660 Ti on 420W power supply? Other components: Intel Core i5 3570, 8 GB of DDR3 1333 Mhz ram, Intel SSD 330 Series 60 GB, Western Digital Blue 1 TB 64 MB, ASRock B75 Pro3 - M. My weak graphics card is GT 630 2 GB DDR3 video ram. Oo and I don't play so much games, maybe 1 hour on a day, if that can help? (I need better card for future games, like Crysis 3...) Please for response!

No, I haven't overclocked anything I don't think to have, and yes, I have direct 6-pin connector. I am going to try, if it doesn't work I' m going to buy a new 600W power supply. And one more question, what is a sine that the power supply can't produce enough power for graphics card?

if your psu can't give you enough power it will shut down, or your pc will be stuck and you will need to reboot, or if it can go over 420w it will overheat and turn it self off, just keep in mind that manufacturers say you need 450w does not mean that you will NEED it to run your card, some, they say that so they can be sure that any 450w 80+ psu can handle it, that is a conservative look, and it is a way that you don't get to sue them or rma the card, and it builds credibility, not to mention PSU is noisy when working at full load.

watch some reviews ppl use i7's with 680, much more power hungry components than you do and they overclock it like mad

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_680_lightning_review,10.html

this is one example, so if your PSU is 80+ certified you should be fine, but invest in a nice PSU in the future

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

I would recommend at least getting a 600w psu.

Good Morning...

yea a 600-650w quality power supply is a good choice. Corsair TX650 is on sale at $70 with promo code CEMCXWTX25 + $20 mail in rebate

newegg link:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I run my i7 2700K (OCd to 4.5Ghz) and a MSI 660ti(OC'd quite a bit) with a Antec 520W PSU and I have no problems with power. I think 420W is a bit too low, but it should work if you don't overclock anything.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I run my i7 2700K (OCd to 4.5Ghz) and a MSI 660ti(OC'd quite a bit) with a Antec 520W PSU and I have no problems with power. I think 420W is a bit too low, but it should work if you don't overclock anything.
620W version of my PSU, only $40 after rebates! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

if its high quality you have nothing to worry about , with a 3570K clocked at 4.2 ghz , 8 gb ddr 3 ram , an ssd , a hdd , dvd drive and the msi 660 ti power edition , while running furmark and prime95 at the same time , the system was pulling 270watts from the wall.