Multi-boot Suggestions

dgtL

So on my new build I am planning on partitioning a msata 120Gb ssd half for caching and the other for some small boots (ubuntu, backtrack5 and others) any downfalls to partitioning?

Also i normally only have had windows installs on the same drive at once. i would normally run live cd's or vm's. But with this new build I would like to have windows 7 as my main boot (maybe win 8 as well) and a ubuntu and a backtrack5 always there. Should i be using the win bootloader or grub? Or is there another option? what are your thoughts/opinions?

I don't understand what you are truing to do. I would just get a 256GB SSD, and dump all OSes there, and have another partition for personal files so that all OS's have easy access too. A 256GB will give plenty of room for all your programs and even games. You can pull it off with a 128GB but you'll be tight.

P.S: Windows 8 Pro upgrade offer at 40$ (and not 200-250$) is today the last day. If you want Win8, now is the time.

Also, WIndows 8 Media Center with DVD-playback codec pack is for free, is also the last day. Once you receive your product key for this pack, it needs to be activated before the 31st to make i valid, else it's 10-15$ more later on.

the system is gonna have 2x 256Gb ssd's in raid0 but i want to keep the other boot options on the msata

I dont plan on "purchasing" win8. :D thanks though.

Use GRUB. Install your windows OS' first. Once you've installed your linux OS's then set Ubuntu as your default boot. then you will get grub when you turn on your computer so you can select all your OS's if you choose windows 7 or 8 bootloader will then come up and let your choose which one. Have your bootloader default set to windows 7. That should work. If you don't want to be prompted by bootloader after you can edit it either in an elevated command prompt with bcedit, or download and install EasyBCD which has a GUI and is easy to use like it says.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Use GRUB. Install your windows OS' first. Once you've installed your linux OS's then set Ubuntu as your default boot. then you will get grub when you turn on your computer so you can select all your OS's if you choose windows 7 or 8 bootloader will then come up and let your choose which one. Have your bootloader default set to windows 7. That should work. If you don't want to be prompted by bootloader after you can edit it either in an elevated command prompt with bcedit, or download and install EasyBCD which has a GUI and is easy to use like it says.
great. thanks for the input

welcome. :)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4