looking for sub $1000 workstation laptop

outroot

I know the requirements might seem a little far fetched, but my sister works in interior design and she needs

a laptop that can run photoshop and autocad (possibly 3ds max). She used an old dell laptop to do her work (and I don't exactly

know how she did it or how she could stand it), so I don't think we're looking for a crazy good laptop here.

Maybe some sub $1k gaming laptop will do? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

I know the requirements might seem a little far fetched, but my sister works in interior design and she needs

a laptop that can run photoshop and autocad (possibly 3ds max). She used an old dell laptop to do her work (and I don't exactly

know how she did it or how she could stand it), so I don't think we're looking for a crazy good laptop here.

Thank you!

If this was 2006/2007 I'd  be recommending a Toshiba Tecra M5 (3ds max 7 runs fine-never bought a newer copy). Perhaps you should look towards the newer versions? (Though in 2006 this laptop was worth over $1800)

Edit: their product page-http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/computers/tecra#

I'll look around to see what their competitors are. Would used be OK? (note that in those cases I'd recommend buying a new battery).

Edit: @outroot, BTW, welcome to the forum and remember to follow your posts.

Edit2: this is from 2012 so I'll need to find a more recent copy, but this might help-http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-workstation-laptop/

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Your best bet might be to wait and keep your eyes peeled for deals (this forum is a good place to start).  Get a laptop that normally costs >$1000 but is marked down.  "Under $1000" and "workstation laptop" aren't usually used to describe the same machine :)

She starts her new job in two weeks, so that would be best but probably not an option at the moment. But I agree, sub 1k workstation is almost an oxymoron.

yea...a workstation starts at like 1500

so what shes gonna want is a gaming laptop basically

with a decent videocard

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

what she should probably really do is have a high end desktop..and then have like an ipad for when on site..she can transfer the autocad stuff to the ipad and show the clients there with the ipad

but do the rendering and stuff on the high end desktop

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Thank you!

a lenovo y50 would be good i guess

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday