What's the best performing linux OS that isn't too dumbed down?

So I want to know which distro of Linux will give me the best performance without taking a huge hit on feature. I liked the speed and features of Kubuntu, but wanted to know what you guys think. Are there way better alternatives? thanks!

Xubuntu is even faster and more lightweight than kubuntu. Features are pretty much the same, it's still ubuntu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I use Xbuntu and I find it has a really nice minimalist look that also makes things run a bit quicker compared to the Unity window manager that comes stock with Ubuntu. 

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Don't want dumbed down but want performance? To Arch with ye. Roll your own. Any features you want are available in packages.

Jokes & honesty aside: Linux Mint, Xubuntu, ElementaryOS are all great.

Xubuntu? I'll try that out. Thanks! also, in regards to Xubuntu, is it easy to modify an installer for? Just curious.

Don't want dumbed down but want performance? To Arch with ye. Roll your own. Any features you want are available in packages.

Jokes & honesty aside: Linux Mint, Xubuntu, ElementaryOS are all great.

arch? I'll try that out too.

arch? I'll try that out too.

Arch is very minimalist. It doesn't even have a GUI to install. All commands and the "GUI" of gparted/parted if you can call it that. It comers with nothing more than to get a machine running and into a console. From the console. you'll have to install everything you want, all the way to the smallest things, like mp3 support, or a desktop environment.

Arch is very minimalist. It doesn't even have a GUI to install. All commands and the "GUI" of gparted/parted if you can call it that. It comers with nothing more than to get a machine running and into a console. From the console. you'll have to install everything you want, all the way to the smallest things, like mp3 support, or a desktop environment.

okay. I might install xfce from xubuntu, if it allows me to have that much room for growth.

okay. I might install xfce from xubuntu, if it allows me to have that much room for growth.

i meant installing arch and then installing xfce.

i meant installing arch and then installing xfce.

Totally doable. Make sure you're very comfortable with Linux before using it though. You will regret it if you don't.

Arch is alright if you've got the milion years that it takes to configure it. If it is up and running it is great though. If you want something that you just have to install, then try Xubuntu or Lubuntu which is even more lighweight than Xubuntu.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Totally doable. Make sure you're very comfortable with Linux before using it though. You will regret it if you don't.

Oh yeah. been down that road before lol

Arch is alright if you've got the milion years that it takes to configure it. If it is up and running it is great though. If you want something that you just have to install, then try Xubuntu or Lubuntu which is even more lighweight than Xubuntu.

I tried Lubuntu. not enough features for me.

Only takes 'a million years' if you don't know what you're doing or aren't comfortable with it.

Only takes 'a million years' if you don't know what you're doing or aren't comfortable with it.

When I set up Arch the first time, it took quite a long time. I had to install a lot of stuff and needed to mess with kernel a bit to make it run perfect on my old laptop. This might not be the case with you or the op. I'm just saying that it CAN take quite a long time, especially if it's your first Arch installation. There's a pretty good installation guide in the arch wiki if the op needs some help

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Ubuntu 15.04 and if Unity is too heavy swap it out with Cinnamon or go straight to Linux Mint. Ubuntu Mate too shouldn't be that demanding and runs the Mate desktop environment which is a replica of Gnome2.

Zorin OS is snappy even on my old 2006 laptop.

It's based on Ubuntu so it does all the stuff Ubuntu does, but without as much of the bloat and weird UI stuff.

I always liked Mint. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard