Razer blade or dell xps 15?

Hi guys,

I'm considering the two laptops in the title the xps 15 (QHD+) and the Razer Blade 14. The two of them are similarly priced on the education store from Microsoft. Xps is $2070 and the Blade is $2150 (Canadian pricing)

I'm going into engineering next year at university and these two laptops seem to be the best fit for me, I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on which is the better buy.

I've heard that the quality control on the xps 15 is pretty bad (I've heard people going through 3 laptops until they got one that worked) and from what I've heard Razor is much much more reliable.

I like the look and all of the blade and I'll probably be doing some gaming, but not a whole lot so I don't think the xps would hold me back in that regard.

Thanks for any input!!

If you are gaming the blade

But there are others worth looking at

Clevo P650SG

MSI GS60 Ghost

Aorus X3/X5

Alienware 15

Gigabyte p35x

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hi guys,

I'm considering the two laptops in the title the xps 15 (QHD+) and the Razer Blade 14. The two of them are similarly priced on the education store from Microsoft. Xps is $2070 and the Blade is $2150 (Canadian pricing)

I'm going into engineering next year at university and these two laptops seem to be the best fit for me, I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on which is the better buy.

I've heard that the quality control on the xps 15 is pretty bad (I've heard people going through 3 laptops until they got one that worked) and from what I've heard Razor is much much more reliable.

I like the look and all of the blade and I'll probably be doing some gaming, but not a whole lot so I don't think the xps would hold me back in that regard.

Thanks for any input!!

what about this : http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs70-stealth-pro-i7-b0-102705.htm

im getting it soon

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I agree with ShadowCaptain, there are really good alternatives. Especially the MSI GS60 is a really solid option if you would also like to do some gaming. The blade 14 is still a really good laptop, but it is too expensive for something you may have to replace 2-3 years later...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

what would be something fairly thin that has good battery life? I'm not finding many gaming laptops with battery life above 6 hours without going into the really bulky ones

what would be something fairly thin that has good battery life? I'm not finding many gaming laptops with battery life above 6 hours without going into the really bulky ones

6 hours on a gaming notebook is generally unheard of. The laptop needs to be lacking many components to acquire that kind of battery life out of the box. Batteries have advanced little in the last few years.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

So with battery life in mind, does anyone know of some laptops that strike a nice balance between graphics performance and battery life and portability?

As D2ultima mentioned, this just wond happen on a gaming dedicated laptop. However when thinking of speccs concerning a gaming laptop, something to take into serious account is: What games do you play? 

In all laptops compromises has to be made, if you only game the most demanding fps games vs if you sometimes play games the likes of CS:GO or LOL or Minecraft, is a huge difference. The more graphics needed, the more battery life youll loose (generally), so if you only play the less demanding games, like most gamers do these days, the graphics card may not be number one priority even for a "gamerbook".

What more to consider that is usually forgotten is this: make sure the laptop you by is the one that will please you the most to work with. What i mean is that you want one that to you looks and feels the best physically. A sturdy good looking machine that delivers a good emotion as you start working with it will always be superior to a computer with a little better speccs that feels clunky and cheap when productivity and gaming on the move is relevant. 

With this in mind ill recommend this. XPS 15, Razer 14 and MSI gs60, all great in terms of apperance and build quality, i find it utterly unlikely that youll "feel" better about another computer. XPS 15 for productivity in work and school with battery life greatness but ONLY very light gaming. Razer 14 for sturdyness and size, great portability very good gaming capabilities, no batterylife but great keyboard and pad. MSI GS60:  less sturdy than razer but equal as far as keyboard, pad and screen. Little bigger than the razer but equal to XPS 15, great gameing and shines in memory options and lower pricetag than razer.

These 3 computers are my personal favorites as of what exists today when you need a "real computer". Ffom experience ill say this again, the highest value laptop is the one that you really like working on and that comes from primarily: Keyboard, mouse pad, build quality!! and screen. 

hope i didnt loose you in my rambles and good luck

As D2ultima mentioned, this just wond happen on a gaming dedicated laptop. However when thinking of speccs concerning a gaming laptop, something to take into serious account is: What games do you play? 

In all laptops compromises has to be made, if you only game the most demanding fps games vs if you sometimes play games the likes of CS:GO or LOL or Minecraft, is a huge difference. The more graphics needed, the more battery life youll loose (generally), so if you only play the less demanding games, like most gamers do these days, the graphics card may not be number one priority even for a "gamerbook".

What more to consider that is usually forgotten is this: make sure the laptop you by is the one that will please you the most to work with. What i mean is that you want one that to you looks and feels the best physically. A sturdy good looking machine that delivers a good emotion as you start working with it will always be superior to a computer with a little better speccs that feels clunky and cheap when productivity and gaming on the move is relevant. 

With this in mind ill recommend this. XPS 15, Razer 14 and MSI gs60, all great in terms of apperance and build quality, i find it utterly unlikely that youll "feel" better about another computer. XPS 15 for productivity in work and school with battery life greatness but ONLY very light gaming. Razer 14 for sturdyness and size, great portability very good gaming capabilities, no batterylife but great keyboard and pad. MSI GS60:  less sturdy than razer but equal as far as keyboard, pad and screen. Little bigger than the razer but equal to XPS 15, great gameing and shines in memory options and lower pricetag than razer.

These 3 computers are my personal favorites as of what exists today when you need a "real computer". Ffom experience ill say this again, the highest value laptop is the one that you really like working on and that comes from primarily: Keyboard, mouse pad, build quality!! and screen. 

hope i didnt loose you in my rambles and good luck

Thanks so much, that was pretty much exactly the kind of response I was hoping for! you and everyone else has been a huge help thanks so much!

Thanks so much, that was pretty much exactly the kind of response I was hoping for! you and everyone else has been a huge help thanks so much!

No problems, If you want even more options (even though i dont have any personal experience with it) this to me looks like a great machine: Venom Blackbook 15 

https://www.venomcomputers.com.au/Products/blackbook-15/

Linus Tech Tips, GTX 970m with 3k panel:

Austin Evans, 980m with 4k panel:

It seems to be a very well rounded machine that ships for free all over the world. Boot time 5s seems insane. Venom Blackbook 15 if: you play not very demanding games but what the play them in 4k with the fastest speccs available on the market today! BUT: the pricetag is huge and there is a small compromise when it comes to weight compared to the other machines. (i personally have a macbook 13 retina for notebook and a desktop for heavier applications, I'm gonna move to much to keep any desktop and am personally thinking of replacing it with a venom blackbook 15)

Let me know what you decide and what motivated you to that choice. 

So with battery life in mind, does anyone know of some laptops that strike a nice balance between graphics performance and battery life and portability?

Check out Gigabyte Aorus x3 plus v3

1.87kg, 970m, and, relatively speaking, great battery life for a gaming laptop (A bit over 5h of web surfing). And best of all, it's a 13.9 inch laptop lol. (It also has a 3200x1800 display if that matters)

No problems, If you want even more options (even though i dont have any personal experience with it) this to me looks like a great machine: Venom Blackbook 15

That is an overpriced Clevo P650SE. And I emphasize "overpriced". Venom also denies it being a Clevo, which means they're flat out lying about what they sell. I would give them no business.

Check out Gigabyte Aorus x3 plus v3

1.87kg, 970m, and, relatively speaking, great battery life for a gaming laptop (A bit over 5h of web surfing). And best of all, it's a 13.9 inch laptop lol. (It also has a 3200x1800 display if that matters)

Please, for the love of everything half-decent left in gaming notebooks, DO NOT BUY ANY AORUS MACHINES. They all overheat and throttle like crazy.

And a 970M can't handle a 3200 x 1800 display. Would you buy a single GTX 780 3GB to play at 4K? That's basically the equivalent of what is in that thing.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday