Installing win 8.1 on win 7

lovingGamer

Installing win 8.1 on win 7

if i do that, Files on my Local Disk (D:) will be safe (they will not get deleted)

If you select upgrade in the windows 8.1 installer your flies will be there, however I wouldn't recommend this

For that to happen (or even be an option), you'd have to do 7 > 8 > 8.1.

OP: If you don't select the D:\ drive in the installer, your files will be fine.

OP: If you don't select the D:\ drive in the installer, your files will be fine.

What is 7>8>8.1?

I have to upgrade to windows 8 first?

If you do it through the microsoft upgrade assistant you won't lose anything if you choose the keep Just Personal Files option during installation.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

What is 7>8>8.1?

I have to upgrade to windows 8 first?

To upgrade and keep your windows install AND files, yes. If you just want to keep your files on D:\, just wipe C:\ and install it on C:\.

To upgrade and keep your windows install AND files, yes. If you just want to keep your files on D:\, just wipe C:\ and install it on C:\.

So i don't have to upgrade to win 8?

Cause I have 8.1 on a disc..

So i simply Format C:/ and don't touch D:/

So i don't have to upgrade to win 8?

Cause I have 8.1 on a disc..

So i simply Format C:/ and don't touch D:/

Yep. If you wanted to keep your Windows install (eg. Not have to reinstall things), you'd have to take the long path of 7 to 8 to 8.1 (and yes, there's a difference.) But, since you want to just keep your D:\ drive, you're fine to format C:\ and install it there. Once you've got Windows running again, you may need to give what 'was' D:\, a drive letter again in Disk Management, as Windows may or may not know, but your data will remain in tact. If you want to be super safe, unplug the SATA data from the D:\ drive, install Windows, and once you're in Windows, shut it down, and plug back in the D:\ drive.

Yep. If you wanted to keep your Windows install (eg. Not have to reinstall things), you'd have to take the long path of 7 to 8 to 8.1 (and yes, there's a difference.) But, since you want to just keep your D:\ drive, you're fine to format C:\ and install it there. Once you've got Windows running again, you may need to give what 'was' D:\, a drive letter again in Disk Management, as Windows may or may not know, but your data will remain in tact. If you want to be super safe, unplug the SATA data from the D:\ drive, install Windows, and once you're in Windows, shut it down, and plug back in the D:\ drive.

One thing is still unknown to me, do i have to install windows 8 first?

I just want to wipe c:/ and to keep all files in d:/

One thing is still unknown to me, do i have to install windows 8 first?

I just want to wipe c:/ and to keep all files in d:/

Unplug your D:\ drive physically. Boot into the Windows disc you have, wipe the C:\ drive, install it. Once you're in Windows 8.1 (so AFTER the install), turn the machine off and plug back in the D:\ drive. Boot back into Windows (8.1), go to Disk Management and make sure the D:\ drive has a drive letter, and if it doesn't, give it one. The files on D:\ will be fine.

Unplug your D:\ drive physically. Boot into the Windows disc you have, wipe the C:\ drive, install it. Once you're in Windows 8.1 (so AFTER the install), turn the machine off and plug back in the D:\ drive. Boot back into Windows (8.1), go to Disk Management and make sure the D:\ drive has a drive letter, and if it doesn't, give it one. The files on D:\ will be fine.

How to Unplug it?

I only have one HDD?

How to Unplug it?

I only have one HDD?

If you only have one drive, your Windows install should have been on C:\, not D:\. In that case, you have to take the Windows 7 > 8 > 8.1 path to keep your files.

If you only have one drive, your Windows install should have been on C:\, not D:\. In that case, you have to take the Windows 7 > 8 > 8.1 path to keep your files.

I KNOW! that my windows is on C:/ omg

But when i Re-install windows 7 (With Disc) Files on my D:/ are not removed

I KNOW! that my windows is on C:/ omg

But when i Re-install windows 7 (With Disc) Files on my D:/ are not removed

So you're saying you have multiple partitions, not discs? Because that's something to say, as most people, myself included, treat different drive letters as different drives. Then just install Windows to C:\. simple as that. D:\ will remain in tact.

So you're saying you have multiple partitions, not discs? Because that's something to say, as most people, myself included, treat different drive letters as different drives. Then just install Windows to C:\. simple as that. D:\ will remain in tact.

yeah partitions :)

So i'll have to format C:/ Normally just like i'm re-installing win 7 and D:/ will be cool

yeah partitions :)

So i'll have to format C:/ Normally just like i'm re-installing win 7 and D:/ will be cool

Should be, yup.

oh, ok, I've only ever selected fresh installation

​Nothing Screams Professional Other Than Comic Sans

My Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bQVfqs

Dark Theme, GG