this math just doesn't add up.

VioDuskar
Go to solution Solved by VioDuskar,

Use TreeSize Free to see where the space went?

this tool is fucking amazing.

and nvm, you were right, 23.9 GB in the hiberfil.sys! that bastard!

thanks for all the help everyone!

look at this.

i have a 128GB SSD, and i'm only using 57.5GB of that space. that means i should have ~53.5GB left over.

where the hell is all my SSD space? why do i only have 13GB there?

NWBoC45.jpg

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Anything in your recycle bin? It still counts the space until everything has been removed.

Always trying to find reason.

the OS probably took 40% of the HDD, have you included it?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

Anything in your recycle bin? It still counts the space until everything has been removed.

it's empty. i use CCleaner

the OS probably took 40% of the HDD, have you included it?

pic says ALL of C: that includes the OS, or the "windows" and users files, yes.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

it's empty. i use CCleaner

pic says ALL of C: that includes the OS, or the "windows" and users files, yes.

do you count hidden files such as "pagefile.sys"?

Its usually the system restore, by default it seems to be able to take a large chunk of your SSD (50% on mine).

Right click "Computer" -> properties -> "system protection" in the left pane -> select c: and click configure.

Try running disc cleanup.

EDit: Over provisioning may also be playing a part in this.

what is over provisioning?

do you count hidden files such as "pagefile.sys"?

yes i did.

Its usually the system restore, by default it seems to be able to take a large chunk of your SSD (50% on mine).

Right click "Computer" -> properties -> "system protection" in the left pane -> select c: and click configure.

that only accounted for ~700MB.

Get a live link usb and then tell me your space to bother to convert from GiB to GB or otherwise.

Never mind.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Check the drive partitions manager. Maybe it made a separate partition and it isn't being used therefor you can't see it. 

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

and nvm, you were right, 23.9 GB in the hiberfil.sys! that bastard!

thanks for all the help everyone!

Might be a shadow copy taking up space? Been a while since I've had to deal with that because I don't think W8 has them any more but there is a way to disable it and it usually eats up tens of GBs of space.

Edit: Oh nvm you found it :)

When your is is on a disk it partitions space so that the space it is using is hidden does that help?

Check the drive partitions manager. Maybe it made a separate partition and it isn't being used therefor you can't see it. 

no, it's not that.

Yes it is, I love it when I need to find where all my space went. :D

Yes it is, I love it when I need to find where all my space went. :D

i just went from 500MB to 37GB of free space.

i just went from 500MB to 37GB of free space.

Glad I could help with that. :)

Glad I could help with that. :)

well @Snazzy helped too. i didn't know that i had a hibernation cache.

i don't need to hibernate on a desktop, that's just stupid.