Stereo Audio in Games broken?

Go to solution Solved by Snazzy,

hmm the games you play somehow think you're using an 5,1 audio setup, check your windows audio settings if there is some setting saying you have 5,1 speakers.

Check for the same 5,1 setting in creative drivers too and switch it to 2 speakers or headphones.

Hey All,

Had a massive problem recently with stereo audio in most games. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50's and a Creative Audigy Sound-card.

This issue i'm experiencing is something as follows;

In a game (e.g. Metro LL, Arma 3 and B4 especially), when another character talks and I look directly at them (the sound source) I cannot hear a word they say, however if i turn slightly to the left or right, i hear them as if i'm facing them directly.

I have attempted using third-party solutions such as Razer Surround to combat this but that crappy software cant pick up any of my audio devices, great! and I have tried using options like "Headphone mode" in the game settings but that doesn't work or sometimes (e.g. Arma 3) isn't available.

I would love to have this issue resolved before the PC release of GTA V, any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the help :) Great community. Best community.

May you have many mahogany doors. | http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/GsxYcf

hmm the games you play somehow think you're using an 5,1 audio setup, check your windows audio settings if there is some setting saying you have 5,1 speakers.

Check for the same 5,1 setting in creative drivers too and switch it to 2 speakers or headphones.

Edited by Snazzy

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

You are a true saint!

Fantastic, I may now enjoy GTA V and not have to avoid looking at Trevor's face when talking to him ;) Not sure what I'd prefer to be honest.

May the odds forever be in your favour, sir.

Solution > For other wondering, I entered my sound-card properties (control panel) and changed the "Speaker configuration" to "Headphones" from "7.1 Speakers". (must have detected the Vengeance 1500 or I was dummy and thought bigger was better - only accurate in some circumstances :/ apparently.)

May you have many mahogany doors. | http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/GsxYcf

You are a true saint!

Fantastic, I may now enjoy GTA V and not have to avoid looking at Trevor's face when talking to him ;) Not sure what I'd prefer to be honest.

May the odds forever be in your favour, sir.

Solution > For other wondering, I entered my sound-card properties (control panel) and changed the "Speaker configuration" to "Headphones" from "7.1 Speakers". (must have detected the Vengeance 1500 or I was dummy and thought bigger was better - only accurate in some circumstances :/ apparently.)

glad it worked so fast that i didn't have to skim through your soundcard's tech sheets :P

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |