Basic info about RAM/Memory

2things I need to confirm

1st: If I already have Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz. I can't or shouldn't buy a Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 4 x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz as an add on to work with my previous RAM, because the speed aren't the same then the new and better RAM would just slow down to match my Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz?

2nd: Since I have already bought the 16GB kit of 1600MHz, would it work if I upgrade by buying another 16GB or 32GB kit of the same speed (1600MHz) ?

1. Yes the newer RAM speed will be downclocked to 1600MHz meaning you wasted the pure power of the RAMs

2. yes it should work provided both sets have the exact speed CAS and voltage

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I wouldn't recommend running two different speed rated RAMS. It may work, but the only way would be to set them all to the slowest speed.

If you bought an upgrade kit of the same speed you shouldn't have any issues. However that is not guaranteed.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

I don't think the amount of memory really matters since they give you different options like 16GB, 32GB and 64GB right? So it's all down to timings, voltage and clock speeds.

Kindda like putting 2 different brands of graphics card in SLI. Same gpu but different memory clocks, it will clock down to the lowest speed.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |