Does folding effect my computer's performance?

I'm afraid that the folding thing will effect my computer's performance and I'm also worried that it will take a lot of power. Are these things to be concerned about? Ever since my computer started folding its fans have been going harder than usual. I have a Lenovo Y40 btw. 

I would say don't fold or mine on a laptop, it will kill them

Folding is (typically) using the GPU to compute complicated mathematical problems. Utilizing the GPU generates heat, which makes the fans run faster. You really shouldn't be mining on a laptop.

I don't recommend folding on a laptop, and yes, it'll impact performance.

This could reduce the lifespan of your laptop.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

I personally would not recommend folding on a laptop, partially because it can and does use up the very limited resources that you already have just because it is a laptop and a lot less powerful than a desktop. Also, it theoretically is going to make your laptop run hotter and your fans run harder. So I guess that answers your question. Folding takes up system resources, so yes, it does affect performance.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Folding has been discontinued.

every little bit of folding does help if you would like to help out i would recomend running the in chrome client every once and a while but laptops are not ideal for folding, even more so for laptops with limited cooling, use speccy from piriform to check temps and enjoy!

Firetruck will never die.