GPUs on CPU coolers

dialgarocksful

Would it be recommendable even on stock coolers? I'm thinking of ripping my future 260X apart and replace the fan with my AMD stock fan, or I buy a small heatsink.

Spoiler

Not recommended though, but someone has tried it:

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Would it be recommendable even on stock coolers? I'm thinking of ripping my future 260X apart and replace the fan with my AMD stock fan, or I buy a small heatsink.

You can do it but i would NOT recommend it it cuts your warrenty most times and it can make the pcb break!

You can do that easily. Here is a cool (pun) video made a while back.

Damn you're fast.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I'm not sure it's the greatest idea. Some people are claiming that they're yielding great temps over the main die, but I'm not sure how well you would be able to do your VRM cooling, which is also quite important. The NZXT Kraken G10 kinda does this idea, but it's terrible with VRM cooling.

Sig under construction.

You can do that easily. Here is a cool (pun) video made a while back:

Not recommended though, but someone has tried it:

Damn you're fast.

That was my plan, but considering a lower-in-height cooler. More like DeepCool CPU coolers.

Spoiler

That was my plan, but considering a lower-in-height cooler. More like DeepCool CPU coolers.

I think it's a bad idea still, CPU coolers are massive.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

Simple enough, don't buy a 260X that comes with a crappy cooler.

Oh right, future..... Yeah don't get crappy one :3

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

Sapphire wouldn't be that so bad, isn't it? Or let's say my GPU heats up after RMA replacements end, would it be viable?

Spoiler

You can do that easily. Here is a cool (pun) video made a while back:

or you could do a h80i mod :P

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Sapphire wouldn't be that so bad, isn't it? Or let's say my GPU heats up after RMA replacements end, would it be viable?

Sapphire makes good cards. It's unlikely that your GPU is going to ever exceed the thermal capacity of the cooler due to age.

or you could do a h80i mod :P

Not worth it, the cooling mod will cost more than the card itself.

Sapphire makes good cards. It's unlikely that your GPU is going to ever exceed the thermal capacity of the cooler due to age.

Even on 100% load? I'll be using it for a 3-hour Zift mine and/or BOINC work. (Though not everyday as I have to turn it off whenever I go to school)

Spoiler