Which Graphics Card?

Go to solution Solved by incarnate,

I had a sapphire dual-x r9 270, the cooler performance on that card was amazingly good, i never saw the card go hotter than high 60s at almost 1100 mhz core clock. it is quite the cooler. the 280 will likely run hotter than the 270 but should still have really good temps.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between two graphics cards,

A Radeon R9 285 from Powercolor that costs £139.99

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-175-PC&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1983

and a Radeon R9 280 from MSI that costs £149.99 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-251-MS

I'll be using them on one 1080p monitor for playing games like Company of Heroes 2, Cities: Skylines, Gran Theft Auto 5 and Garry's Mod.

From what I've been reading up, the 280 has more VRAM so better for large textures like in Skyrim and probably GTA5 when it finally comes out (and potentially more future proof maybe?) but the 285 performs a little bit better in frame rates and is based on newer GCN technology. 

To be honest I'm not to bothered about things like Freesync or TrueAudio just yet, I will when the 300 series comes out and I buy my ultra high end graphics card, this is something I'm investing in for a couple of months until the 300 series is released and the prices normalize a bit (as they're always crazy when they just come out!).

So looking for your ideas guys on which is better purely for playing games, thanks! 

• CPU: AMD FX-9590 | MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 OC DirectCU II | CASE:NZXT H440 White W/Window | COOLER: NZXT Kraken X41 | RAM: 16GB AMD Performance Series | STORAGE: AMD OCZ R7 Radeon SSD 240GBPSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 850w White

Honestly the extra vram would be nice to have. there is no gradual step down in performance if you run out of vram, it drops like a sac of bricks. if you plan on modding skyrim you'll definitely want more than 2gb of ram.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

The 280 will perform significantly better.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I would take the 280.

I have a 280x so my my hat is the 280

Honestly the extra vram would be nice to have. there is no gradual step down in performance if you run out of vram, it drops like a sac of bricks. if you plan on modding skyrim you'll definitely want more than 2gb of ram.

The 280 will perform significantly better.

I was looking at the 4K decode and encode on the 285 which looks really useful, but if the 280 is better in games I'd go for that, realistically I'm looking for the card to run Cities Skylines and GTA 5, I know Rockstar are recommending a 2GB VRAM atm but I'd imagine that's being conservative with all the massive textures and draw distances and all that. 3GB could be a good idea there maybe?

By the way would anyone go for Sapphire over MSI (or the other way around)? There's a Dual-X model 280 for the same price as the MSI model

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-347-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1842

• CPU: AMD FX-9590 | MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 OC DirectCU II | CASE:NZXT H440 White W/Window | COOLER: NZXT Kraken X41 | RAM: 16GB AMD Performance Series | STORAGE: AMD OCZ R7 Radeon SSD 240GBPSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 850w White

I had a sapphire dual-x r9 270, the cooler performance on that card was amazingly good, i never saw the card go hotter than high 60s at almost 1100 mhz core clock. it is quite the cooler. the 280 will likely run hotter than the 270 but should still have really good temps.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

That sapphire looks pretty good, think I might settle on it, overclocking potential seems pretty good with the cooler it has, thanks dude :)

I was looking at the 4K decode and encode on the 285 which looks really useful, but if the 280 is better in games I'd go for that, realistically I'm looking for the card to run Cities Skylines and GTA 5, I know Rockstar are recommending a 2GB VRAM atm but I'd imagine that's being conservative with all the massive textures and draw distances and all that. 3GB could be a good idea there maybe?

By the way would anyone go for Sapphire over MSI (or the other way around)? There's a Dual-X model 280 for the same price as the MSI model

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-347-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1842

3 Gb's is pretty much the minimum since more games are utilizing it more.