Should I keep my Corsair CX750M?

Go to solution Solved by AliveGhost13,

The evga G2 would be my pick out of those. Very very solid unit, superflower OEM, whopping 10 year warranty.

So, last week, I bought the Corsair CX750M from NCIX. Main reason being that my old PSU on my very old desktop(2003) went kaput and needed to recover my most recent files on it. 

The other reason I bought it is being that I am currently in the process of building a new desktop, since the hard drive is failing on the other and I need a new desktop. This rig is mainly going to be for gaming, video editing(Premier and After Effects), and Audio Production(Ableton Live 9). I will be overclocking with water cooling(H100i) and in the future doing a dual GPU setup.

Parts are:

CPU: Core i5-4690k

Cooler: Corsair H100i

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A or MSI Z97-GAMING 5

GPU: XFX R9 290 DD

RAM: 16gb ADATA XPG DDR3-1866

SSD: Kingston HyperX Fury 240gb

HDD: Hitachi 750gb and 320gb (had these laying around and not one of the dead ones)

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (want this to be a silent build since my old desktop sounded like a leaf blower)

This going to be my main rig for most likely the next 3-5 years with some changes as previously mentioned.

My main concern is, is the CX750M a good power supply when it comes to overclocking and being under a constant load when I would be gaming or editing(I can sometimes be editing for upto 8-16 hours)? If you do recommend something different, I want it to be either Modular or Semi-Modular.

Also, what would the return policy be like? I know there is a 15% repackaging fee, which I don't care about, but could I just walk in and be like, I want to return it? (NCIX is 20 minutes away if I need to return it)

CPU Core i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb @ 1866MHz GPU Asus GTX 970 Strix Case Fractal Design R5 Titanium (Windowed) Storage 1 x 256gb ADATA SX900, 1 x 120gb Samsung 840 Evo, 1 x 1TB WD Blue PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W Cooling Corsair H100i Monitor Asus VS239H-P

OS Windows 10 and 7 

I have the CX430 and I do just fine when I render and game and I do it hours on end!

my girlfriend has that PSU hers makes a high pitched noise when ever she moves the mouse or copys files over the network, it was ok when i got it but im replacing it soon as its just annoying xD , corsairs customer service is excellent from what iv experienced, so i will still buy another corsair, just not that impressed with the one i got =/ ,. but i might just have been unlucky 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

its a great PSU if you are on a budget 

my girlfriend has that PSU hers makes a high pitched noise when ever she moves the mouse or copys files over the network, it was ok when i got it but im replacing it soon as its just annoying xD , corsairs customer service is excellent from what iv experienced, so i will still buy another corsair, just not that impressed with the one i got =/ ,. but i might just have been unlucky 

i have the same problem it doesn't happen all the time

its a great PSU if you are on a budget 

i have the same problem it doesn't happen all the time

really! omg i thought i was the only one, have you managed to find out what causes it? 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

The restocking fee may make getting a new PSU not worth it. While the CX750M isn't the best build PSU, it is capable of power your system without any problems.

Edit: I had misread, so I had edit it out. But I would expect you can just go to the store and returned it... Here's a thread on someone returning an online bought item to the store. http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2594970

The restocking fee may make getting a new PSU not worth it. While the CX750M isn't the best build PSU, it is capable of power your system without any problems.

Edit: I had misread, so I had edit it out. But I would expect you can just go to the store and returned it... Here's a thread on someone returning an online bought item to the store. http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2594970

Well, it's already opened, and I don't mind it if I have to pay for the restocking fee. I'll see after today or tomorrow how things go.

CPU Core i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb @ 1866MHz GPU Asus GTX 970 Strix Case Fractal Design R5 Titanium (Windowed) Storage 1 x 256gb ADATA SX900, 1 x 120gb Samsung 840 Evo, 1 x 1TB WD Blue PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W Cooling Corsair H100i Monitor Asus VS239H-P

OS Windows 10 and 7 

Yeah, from reading reviews, a lot of people are complaining about coil whine. 

OS Windows 10 and 7 

really! omg i thought i was the only one, have you managed to find out what causes it? 

no i haven't but it only happens for about 30 mins after start up

The CX builder series is a pretty-decent series of power supplies. They are certainly not the best, but for a modest build like yours it will do fine. The higher wattage is also nice because it means you won't be putting too much load on the PSU

Thank you for answer :)  I guess I'll keep it for now and if anything goes wrong, there's warranty. If I do end up getting a new psu, I'll probably give it away to someone.

OS Windows 10 and 7 

Here's a review from who I think is the best PSU reviewer - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=416

How much did you pay? If there's a fee to get it restocked, then I wouldn't return it but if it's free then I'd definitely at least consider doing so as there are definitely better units out there for the money

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Here's a review from who I think is the best PSU reviewer - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=416

How much did you pay? If there's a fee to get it restocked, then I wouldn't return it but if it's free then I'd definitely at least consider doing so as there are definitely better units out there for the mone

After taxes here, I payed around $120. With the restocking fee, I would get back around $102. If there is a much better psu that you can recommend, I can go return it tomorrow. I was thinking about the Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750m, Seasonic G-750 Gold 750W, or the EVGA SuperNova 750 G2. I want to keep in the 750w area because I will be overclocking right out once it's built(Already got my Corsair H100i), then later on down the road, adding a second GPU.

OS Windows 10 and 7 

The evga G2 would be my pick out of those. Very very solid unit, superflower OEM, whopping 10 year warranty.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Yeah, I might just get the G2 then. I did read some reviews and the JonnyGuru review of the 750m, so it kind of deterred me.  Get paid today, so I don't mind paying the 15% and I'll return it tomorrow before I go to work. Thought I would keep it and give it away, but still need to get my CPU.

OS Windows 10 and 7 

So, i ended up getting the G2 today before going to work. just had to pay an extra $20 on top of what they had returned. Wasn't bad at all. Picked up some black Noctua NF-F12's for my cooler while i was at it.

YITN8wo.jpgxitzcv6.jpg

OS Windows 10 and 7 

So, i ended up getting the G2 today before going to work. just had to pay an extra $20 on top of what they had returned. Wasn't bad at all. Picked up some black Noctua NF-F12's for my cooler while i was at it.

Be sure to register the product within 30 days, so you get the full 10 year warranty.

Be sure to register the product within 30 days, so you get the full 10 year warranty.

Already done :)

OS Windows 10 and 7 

Already done :)

Good choice with the EVGA G2  :)