Halo Combat Evolved/Halo 2 PC

ProAFKGuy

I was just wondering does halo combat evolved and halo 2 still have their multiplayer servers up on pc? I heard that they were supposed to be shut down back in February but then 343 extended it to june to see if they could keep them up any longer and that is all I know. 

Yes they're both still up. Halo 2 was supposed to go down before CE. Just played Halo 2 pc MP the other day.

Halo CE pc has more players on it last time I checked.

Edited by Viking Kong

Yes they're both still up. Halo 2 was supposed to go down before CE. Just played Halo 2 pc MP the other day.

Would you still recommend buying them? Are they still populated?

Would you still recommend buying them? Are they still populated?

Eh, at this point I have no clue when Halo 2 wont be playable anymore because of them saying they were shutting them down in June and its now July. I bought Halo 2 pc over a year ago for $20. As for Halo CE I just  pirated it and the online is still playable, its only 500 megs. The population is very small (halo 2 is smaller) TOPS at 50 on halo 2. I couldnt give any numbers for CE, but it defiantly has more than halo 2. 

Halo 2 PC I believe is staying up as long as Xbox Live for Xbox 360 is still up and running. I am not sure what will happen when the Xbox One comes out but technically when you play Halo 2 PC you are playing on "GFWL" and thus you are signed in on Xbox Live. Also matchmaking for Halo 2 died a long time ago so its all dedicated server browser based for now. It doesn't cost Microsoft anything to keep the dedicated server indexing service up so I doubt they would pull a dick move and turn it off. 

Halo: CE is still very alive with a lot of full servers with fun game modes. I still hop on every now and then for nostalgia reasons. 

In my thread I talk about this.

Halo: CE is still popular, but Halo 2 is eh. "Supposedly" Halo 1, 2, and 3 will be coming to Steam, but it's all rumors and semi-based confirmations. Halo 2's servers were suppose to be shut down last month, but Microsoft said they were exploring other options. Many are thinking that Microsoft is having a 3rd party(Certain Affinity) convert Halo 3 to PC and they are going to drop GFWL on Halo 2 and then have all three be put on Steam with dedicated server support(community driven possibly).

I would say, buy Halo: CE if you can, but you can't buy Halo 2 digitally right now, Microsoft isn't allowing it. You'll have to pick up a box copy of Halo 2 if you want to play.

In my thread I talk about this.

Halo: CE is still popular, but Halo 2 is eh. "Supposedly" Halo 1, 2, and 3 will be coming to Steam, but it's all rumors and semi-based confirmations. Halo 2's servers were suppose to be shut down last month, but Microsoft said they were exploring other options. Many are thinking that Microsoft is having a 3rd party(Certain Affinity) convert Halo 3 to PC and they are going to drop GFWL on Halo 2 and then have all three be put on Steam with dedicated server support(community driven possibly).

I would say, buy Halo: CE if you can, but you can't buy Halo 2 digitally right now, Microsoft isn't allowing it. You'll have to pick up a box copy of Halo 2 if you want to play.

Can I get halo: ce in a digital download or do I have to buy a physical copy of the game? If there is a digital download please link it for me :)

Can I get halo: ce in a digital download or do I have to buy a physical copy of the game? If there is a digital download please link it for me :)

Sorry, but I don't think there has ever been a digital purchase of Halo: CE...at least there is nothing I could find for it :(

Halo custom edition is all non-microsoft servers, so it might live past the 360's matchmaking stuff.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Halo custom edition is all non-microsoft servers, so it might live past the 360's matchmaking stuff.

Halo: Custom Edition and Halo: Combat Evolved both have servers up. Neither game uses Microsoft servers. The official one uses Gamespy servers, but it has been altered and others have been able to list their servers on it.