Old School Beat 'em Up

Cocoabytes

Hoping someone knowledgable can help.
So i've alwasy liked the old school beat em ups like golden axe and streets of rage, and decided I like to try and make my own. I have a great (or at least I think it is) idea to go off of, but little to no programming knowledge.
What existing game engines and software would I need to use from start to finish to reach my goal? Also, is programming knowledge completely essential? 

Thanks!

Unity maybe, there are alot of videos and tutorials on the web try googling "unity 2d platformer" and have a look at some videos to see if thats what you want.

@Cocoabytes yes you definitely need knowledge in at least scripting to be able to make that game there are tons of free/paid 2d engines. The most popular would be either cocos2d-x or Unity 

But there are also engines that don't require an extensive knowledge in programming like ClickTeam Fusion(The one Scott Cawthon uses for FNAF) but even so a game like "Beat 'em up" would require ton's of scripting and using clickteam's API IDE for scripting would be a total hassle. It would be easier/faster when using the traditional way of writing code.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]