g3258 4.4 + DarkRock3

First of all - Hello everyone! It's my first post here :).

Now straight to the problem ;).

I was building a new PC (bought one part when had money, 2 months later another etc) in which I was meant to have i7-4790k. However my laptop died so I bought a g3258, took the SSD out of my laptop and finished the build with a crappy CPU. I overclocked it to 4.4 Ghz. I had the vcore about 1.290V, but then the PC crashed when opening Core Temp. Just a black screen. I was pretty surprised because Prime95 run for about 5 hours and I was pretty sure it was stable at that point. I increased the voltage up to 1.330V and it was ok for a long time but then PC started to crash again. The mouse cursor started moving in like 1 fps and I coudn't do anything at that point but hard reset. Memtest passed. Now it's running back at 4.4 Ghz/1.290V and I don't really know what to do to eliminate the problems. I never overclocked a CPU but I followed a Linus's video about overclocking g3258. Any ideas?

Another problem.

My temps are pretty high...Idle about 38oC, and up to 75oC when in load. The heat sink is...a room temperture...I removed and put again a thermal paste to be sure that I've mounted it correctly but nothing changed.

Any ideas?

Cheers to everyone! :)

Specs:
Asrock z97 Extreme 4

Intel Pentium G3258

BeQuiet Dark Rock 3

A-Data sp900 256 GB

Asus GTX770 DirectCU II OC

16 GB Kingston hyperx fury

Corsair RM-850W

Fractal Design R2 XL

HEy there, welcome to the forums, nice ot have yo here :) 

Hmm, sounds like its a "bad" chip. Silicone lottery and all that. Pumping more voltage may solve the problem, but i think going above 3.5 is not too recommended for continuous use. 

Aslo your high idle temps may be because of those voltages? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

that's strange. with my G3258 on 4.4@1.25v, my load temps only get to about 70C on a Freezer 11LP, which is barely better than the stock cooler.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

75 degrees sounds right to me with that cooler and 1.33v at full load. Did you reinstall the OS and install the correct drivers when you switched to the new hardware? Does it work fine with other clock speeds? Also, people say to never use P95 because it stresses CPUs way more than what anything else can do. I use HeavyLoad but there's some other commonly recommended program people use; Intel's utility works good too.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Of course, the temps are way lower when not overclocked however as I said - it's strange that the heat sink is not warm at all...I disabled all of the fans including a CPU and it made no difference... is my chip THAT bad? :( I had e5200 many years ago...people had it stable at 5.0...my cousin overclocked mine to 4.0...yea, my luck...

You think that crashing problem is also because of OC?

I honestly need that...i'm making a lot of audio editing (and so my computer must be reaaally quiet) and I'm switching from mobile i7 to Pentium...i need all power I can get from the CPU...

CatzRuleZWorldYes, OS is clean, drivers installed correctly, BIOS updated.

Another problem.

My temps are pretty high...Idle about 38oC, and up to 75oC when in load. The heat sink is...a room temperture...I removed and put again a thermal paste to be sure that I've mounted it correctly but nothing changed.

That's kind of worrisome. The Dark Rock Pro 3 should be overkill—it costs more than a G3258 itself, doesn't it? I've heard of people having good results overclocking the G3258 on the stock cooler.

Could there be an issue with airflow into and out of your case? Are your fans positioned well, and are any cables obstructing the flow of air to/from the cooler?

That's kind of worrisome. The Dark Rock Pro 3 should be overkill—it costs more than a G3258 itself, doesn't it? I've heard of people having good results overclocking the G3258 on the stock cooler.

Could there be an issue with airflow into and out of your case? Are your fans positioned well, and are any cables obstructing the flow of air to/from the cooler?

Airflow is good. Fans at the stock r2 XL positions - intakes at the bottom and front and exhaust at the back. If I take the side panel off and put a hand in the case, the air flow is very noticible and it seems really cool. Also the cable management is done to make the build as clear as possible.

Also - It's not a Pro version. I have a Dark Rock 3. ;)

Update:

Aida64 running for 2:20h so far, temps around 60-65oC. I changed all the case fans from 5V to 12V. No difference. I opened a side panel - heat sink still cool...i mean. Really cool. Like...metal-cool...

Is that a problem similar to the one that i7-4770k had? That it coudnt give a heat away? VCore 1.290V.