5820k or wait?

So, I'm planning on a CPU upgrade at the end of the year (I can go without my PC for a while at the end of the year) so my question is 5820k or wait longer for an 8 core to be more affordable. The 5820k is ~NZD$600 but I have a use for the cores it gives me.

I'm currently running a 3570k and it's struggling. It's great in games but when it comes to building programs, 3D rendering etc, it's really struggling to be fast. I'm gonna sell my current PC (After I've stripped it for parts) and buy a new CPU.

I don't plan on 4way SLI anytime soon, so I don't need the extra PCI-E lanes but extra cores would be great. I've looked at xeons and would be happy with one, but I can only buy from UK(haven't looked for xeons there yet) and NZ, and NZ doesn't stock many xeons.

Any advice would be great :)

So, I'm planning on a CPU upgrade at the end of the year (I can go without my PC for a while at the end of the year) so my question is 5820k or wait longer for an 8 core to be more affordable. The 5820k is ~NZD$600 but I have a use for the cores it gives me.

I'm currently running a 3570k and it's struggling. It's great in games but when it comes to building programs, 3D rendering etc, it's really struggling to be fast. I'm gonna sell my current PC (After I've stripped it for parts) and buy a new CPU.

I don't plan on 4way SLI anytime soon, so I don't need the extra PCI-E lanes but extra cores would be great. I've looked at xeons and would be happy with one, but I can only buy from UK(haven't looked for xeons there yet) and NZ, and NZ doesn't stock many xeons.

Are you sure that you couldn't suffice with an i7 4790K?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I agree with Geekazoid. The 4790k sounds like the perfect CPU for your needs.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

If your always waiting for something new to come out, you will never buy anything

If you wait until the next generation comes out then you will wonder "hmmm, now should I wait for the next generation now?"

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

If I'm to be perfectly honest, I had thought about going down the X99 route, however, after looking at some benchmarks, from the likes of AnandTech, and other places, it came pretty clear to me that the i7 4790K was the better choice. Because, whilst the 5820K may have more cores, the i7 4790K stills seem to perform considerably better. Also the 700MHz core clock speed difference, between the 5820K and the 4790K, is what I think helps the i7 4790K come out on top. So, if it was my choice I would stick with the Z97 platform and save some money whilst you're at it of which you can then use to spend on other components, like the GPU.

If you want some proof, I have left a link to the AandTech benchmark below for your convenience.

Link: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1320?vs=1260

My Usage: Videography

If I'm to be perfectly honest, I had thought about going down the X99 route, however, after looking at some benchmarks, from the likes of AnandTech, and other places, it came pretty clear to me that the i7 4790K was the better choice. Because, whilst the 5820K may have more cores, the i7 4790K stills seem to perform considerably better. Also the 700MHz core clock speed difference, between the 5820K and the 4790K, is what I think helps the i7 4790K come out on top. So, if it was my choice I would stick with the Z97 platform and save some money whilst you're at it of which you can then use to spend on other components, like the GPU.

If you want some proof, I have left a link to the AandTech benchmark below for your convenience.

Link: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1320?vs=1260

My Usage: Videography

Well, the thing is the 5820k can easily be pushed to over 4 gHz and that point, I dont think the 4790k can even compare

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Well, the thing is the 5820k can easily be pushed to over 4GHz and at that point, I dont think the 4790k can even compare.

Well, can you kindly show me any benchmarks between the two CPUs to back this up? I'm not arguing, just would like to see how true that is. :)

if you do allot of rendering and productivity work, then a 5820k would realy be the better choice imo.

THere is not much of a diffrence between the 4790k and 5820k, even at stock speeds.

THe 4790k might perform better in games that realy bennefit from highspeed on less cores, but the diffrence between both cpu´s are not that significant.

THe fps is allready that high on both cpu´s that an extra 5 fps isnt going to make any sense at all.

NExt to that, you can easaly overclock a 5820k to arround 4.2GHz, and you will just as fast as a 4790k in gaming.

The only diffrence is that in terms of productivity, the 5820k will blow it out of the water.

If your always waiting for something new to come out, you will never buy anything

If you wait until the next generation comes out then you will wonder "hmmm, now should I wait for the next generation now?"

^ This.

And it seems like new tech is only coming out faster and faster.

If you have a MicroCenter near you, go X99. 5820k is $299 which is a fantastic deal, couple it with memory or a mobo and you get an additional $40 off.

DDR4 has also come down a bit too, and you can pick up a sensible kit now like the HyperX Fury DDR4, which is considerably less $$$ than something like Dominator. X99S Sli Plus from MSI is also a good board and great bang for the buck.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

While I completely agree, i most likely have to wait until the end of the year anyway and I am not sure of when Intel will release the new chips. I can buy a 5820k now and live with my awful monitor for a while longer or buy a new monitor, and upgrade CPU nearer new years.

TBH, I forgot about the 4970k although I don't really care about gaming performance as I have only played around 4 hours of games in the last 3 months... (I got this pointed out to me when playing games for concept ideas earlier today)

-snip-

Toward investing more in a GPU, I'm keeping a 780 Ti so think I'm good. If I buy a GPU, it'll likely be something with a tonne of vram that I can't really justify.

I should probably say what parts I'm keeping;

GTX 780 Ti

AX860i - I'll buy a cheaper 500w corsair as leaving the 860 would be overkill

Kraken x61

Also is 5930k different from 5820k other than clocks, lanes and binning?

EDIT

Had a look into benchmarks for the CPUs, 4790k isn't slow but does get beaten by the 5820k which is less than $100 NZD more.

4790k = $499

5820k = $566

However looks like Z97 mobos are around $100 cheaper

^ This.

And it seems like new tech is only coming out faster and faster.

If you have a MicroCenter near you, go X99. 5820k is $299 which is a fantastic deal, couple it with memory or a mobo and you get an additional $40 off.

DDR4 has also come down a bit too, and you can pick up a sensible kit now like the HyperX Fury DDR4, which is considerably less $$$ than something like Dominator. X99S Sli Plus from MSI is also a good board and great bang for the buck.

I'm getting a set of fury for whatever platform I get, love the look and profile of it (I'm currently using a white set)

I bought a 5820k for $300 and I was in the same situation with the 3570k. I have not put my new rig together yet so I cant tell you. I do know that this cpu is a beast by all accounts. 

The 4690k and especially the 4790k are great for gaming, but for youy needs I think the 5820k is the way to go.

Watch Linus' video on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgDZKGA89I

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz, Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61(Push/Pull), MOBO: EVGA Z97 FTW, OS: Windows 10, RAM: 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR3 2400, Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb + 500gb SSD, WD Black 1tb HDD, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G1, Case: NZXT Phantom 530, GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 CLASSIFIED, Monitor: Seiki 39 inch, 1080p @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz

The 4690k and especially the 4790k are great for gaming, but for youy needs I think the 5820k is the way to go.

Watch Linus' video on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgDZKGA89I

Yeah, looks like the 5820k does well. How much headroom do these CPU's have to overclock, because 4.4GHz boost on the 4790k looks like it is clocked pretty aggressively.

The only thing is if I want to do a small form factor build, the 5820k wouldn't fit. Although, having said that, the kraken wouldn't either.

I'll go do more research into the power of that 4790k vs 5820k (I actually have access to a server running one of these and it's pretty impressive in terms of speed).

Found a benchmark showing the build times for google chrome (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e-cpu,3918-5.html) and the 5960x was a lot faster  but sadly out of my budget. The 5820k built 240 seconds faster than the 4790k, I might justify the cost tbh