GTX 980 XSPC Backplate problem

Hi all,

I currently have a little bit of a problem.

I have 2x 980's that I want to watercool and I have currently ordered and received 2x XSPC Razor Waterblocks for the 980's, which my aunt brought to me from Australia when she visited me in South Africa (So no shipment fees)  :D:ph34r:.

However, at the time when I ordered the supplier was out of stock for the back plates... Which leads to my problem. I currently still have to buy my fittings and a couple of other things, which would most likely be imported as there is a HUGE shortage of shops that supply any kind of water cooling parts and fittings. (and I don't want to use plumbing parts) and i do not want to import unnecessary things, as I pay per kg and per package value to import. (Currently the dollar is RR12.50 to the US Dollar)

Here is my question:

Does anybody know whether you HAVE to use the XSPC backplates with the XSPC blocks, or are the default plates that come with the reference cards sufficient? (i.e. Screw lengths to fix the backplate to the block)

I have tried to contact XSPC directly, but some lady which struggled to speak proper english from China sent the list of the cards that the Razor block fits... So that doesn't really help. :wacko: Nor do their site say anything about the blocks, however the backplate's information states that it should be used with the XSPC waterblock, but not the otherway around? There is nothing.  :blink:

Has anybody tried it?

*I have the EVGA Superclocked Reference model cards

Any help would be very much appreciated as it could save me a lot of problems! :D

I have the EK GPU blocks for my GTX 980s and the backplates are purely optional. And I couldn't use the original backplate that came with my GPU to use with the EK waterblocks. The benefits to getting the backplate is increased rigidity/support and aesthetics. 

I'm not sure if it's similar with XSPC but I wouldn't be surprised. 

i7 4790K - MSI XPower Z97 AC - 32GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Sabranco - ASUS Strix GTX 980 SLI - ASUS Xonar Essence - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - RoG Swift + Samsung 28" 4k UHD - Logitech Z906 5.1 - Custom Water Cooling Loop

Mobile: Samsung S8 Plus | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50X / ASUS Strix Pro | Laptop: Alienware 17 R2

Thanks, I suspected this is the case, however I would much rather make sure than having to ship twice.

I like the default backplates more anyways.  B)  So perhaps if i get longer screws would be able to make them fit.