5.25' Bay iPhone Dock

odrusso

Me and my mate are going to be pimpin' out my 200R with a (hopefully) sweet 5.25' bay, that is an iPhone dock. The plan is to get some timber and make it into a brick shape, without 1 face, and the inside of this brick shaped cube thing will be just the right size for a iPhone to fit into, then I'm going to mount the iPhone dock connector to the back of it, so when I slot the iPhone in, it will automatically connect when I put the phone in. I (hope) to cut the iPhone cable, and ghetto rig it to one of my spare USB 2.0 headers on my motherboard, but if that fails, I'll just use a 'passthough' I also hope to line the interior of the brick with velvet, or some other material so that the wood doesn't scratch the phone :)

/wall of text

There are a few things that I'm not all to sure about, like how I'm going to get the wood and the 5.25' bay connected and secured. Anyone got any more suggestions? I hope to be making this tomorrow or the day after, so stay tuned for a video/pics ;)

Intel

i5 3570k; Asus P8Z77-V LX; Asus GTX 780 @ Stock; 8GB Kingston Blu; Corsair GS700; Corsair 230T (White); Shimian QH270-Lite (RIP); Logitech G710+ & G502; HD518s; SOLO6c's; ZH-DX200-CBs.

i7 4790k; Asus Z97-Pro Gaming; 2x Asus GTX 780; 8GB Kingston Blu; Corsair GS700; Corsair 230T (White); AOC G2460PQU 144hz.

Intel 

It would probably be better if you did metal instead of wood, that way you can just drill holes and be able to mount it to the 5.25" bays with screws or screw less mounts.

I see where you're going with this and would like to see the finished product, but I think wood might be a bit, hard.

You can get small header-to-standard-female usb plugs (with varying cable lengths, or just as a little pcb with the plugs right on it), if you want to skip chopping up your old cable.

Maybe you could use the drive bay cover as a facade, and just cut an appropriately-sized hole in it for a slot to insert the phone through? (Stick on a little u-channel if the edges are sharp?)

Also, depending on how you did it, you might be able to use a router (I mean the wood kind, not the network kind) on the inside-"back" of the unit to create a perfectly-sized recess for the phone's connector - just cutting enough of a hole to feed the usb end through, and then holding the 30pin (assuming it's not an iPhone 5... I think the Lightning would be too small) connector in place

I guess it would be cool looking but it would drive me crazy having my phone mounted to my pc. I pick it up too often. but if you do follow EChondo remark and do it in metal. it would look much better.

• 1 month later...

I am really curious to see how this turns out. Upload Pictures once completed. Please and thank you :D

Can be found on my profiIe