4690k or 4790k

I am about to build a computer that I will only be gaming on and was wondering if the 4790k is worth the extra 100$ over the 4690k. 

I am about to build a computer that I will only be gaming on and was wondering if the 4790k is worth the extra 100$ over the 4690k.

As everyone else here will tell you, 4690k+8gigs of ram. Get a z97 board. You'll be good to go.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Put those $100 towards the gpu

i7-5820k @ 4.6ghz w/ H100i || Asus Sabertooth x99 || Gigabyte 980ti G1 ||  EVGA 980ti SC || 32gb DDR4 2666mhz Gskil || 1tb WD Black HDD || Samsung XP941 256gb M.2 PCIe || EVGA 1300w G2 || Corsair 540 w/ Silverstone Sound Dampening Foam || Logisys RGB Led  || Corsair M65 Mouse  & Corsair RGB k70 || A lot of Corsair SP120s

Yes, it will give u some boost, but if u don't feel like u can spend away ~100$ - do it.

If u're computating something, 4790k will be better tho.

Yes, it will give u some boost, but if u don't feel like u can spend away ~100$ - do it.

If u're computating something, 4790k will be better tho.

That makes such little sense.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

As everyone else here will tell you, 4690k+8gigs of ram. Get a z97 board. You'll be good to go.

Support.

4790k if you plan on doing major CPU work, for just gaming 4690k, 8GB of RAM, decent Z97, use saved money for GPU.

HydrOS (Waterworks 3.0) Pictures: // One // Two // Three

i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz (1.165v) // Asus X99-A // 16GB-DDR4 Vengeance 2400 CAS13 // RAID 0 Intel 730 240GB // Nvidia Titan X (+200Core +500Memory) // Swiftech D5 // ASUS ROG SWIFT

That makes such little sense.

For computing or server machines every 100mhz means a lot. Rly. Please, trust me.

What does the rest of your build look like and what is your overall budget?

For just gaming, the i5-4690k will do, but if you have the budget, and going for the i7 doesn't take away from another part of your build, I would get the i7 because initial benchmarks on DX12 look promising for 4+ threads.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Whats with the double posting today

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Supporting 4690k if it's only gaming.  Although I personally would go 16 gigs because I enjoy a million tabs in Chrome open.

Supporting 4690k if it's only gaming.  Although I personally would go 16 gigs because I enjoy a million tabs in Chrome open.

Or you could just use Firefox and save that money you would have spent on RAM.

My budget is very flexible and was looking into a gtx 980 from asus, 16gb of A-data xpg 2133 memory, h100i, 750w evga power supply, Asus Z97-E ATX , adata 256gb sdd, 4tb wd black drive

4690k if you dont do video editing, spend the difference on a nice SSD!

Also If you dont plan to overclock go with a h87 mobo, a locked i5 and use the stock cooler and save even more money!

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

Or you could just use Firefox and save that money you would have spent on RAM.

Uh, excuse me, I'd rather spend 80 more dollars and use Chrome just so I can have 60 FPS playback on Youtube.  Obviously, that's what matters /s

Although to be more serious, if he ever wants to play Star Citizen, he might be limited on system memory.

My budget is very flexible and was looking into a gtx 980 from asus, 16gb of A-data xpg 2133 memory, h100i, 750w evga power supply, Asus Z97-E ATX , adata 256gb sdd, 4tb wd black drive

Buy the i7.  You are going for a serious rig, get a serious processor to match.  Not that the i5-4690k isn't serious, but I would definitely splurge for the i7 in your situation.

Might I make a few recommendations though:

Motherboard, go for the Asus Z97-AR.

CPU Cooler, don't get the H100i, it has a lot of problems and is not guaranteed to work out of the box without issue, and even then, it is loud.  Go for the Cooler Master Nepton 240M.  Silent pump, nearly silent fans, same price.

Unless you are doing something very serious other than gaming, don't buy a black drive.  A Seagate barracuda or Western Digital Blue is just fine,

Buy the i7. You are going for a serious rig, get a serious processor to match. Not that the i5-4690k isn't serious, but I would definitely splurge for the i7 in your situation.

CPU Cooler, don't get the H100i, it has a lot of problems and is not guaranteed to work out of the box without issue, and even then, it is loud. Go for the Cooler Master Nepton 240M. Silent pump, nearly silent fans, same price.

Unless you are doing something very serious other than gaming, don't buy a black drive. A Seagate barracuda or Western Digital Blue is just fine

Buy the i7.  You are going for a serious rig, get a serious processor to match.  Not that the i5-4690k isn't serious, but I would definitely splurge for the i7 in your situation.

CPU Cooler, don't get the H100i, it has a lot of problems and is not guaranteed to work out of the box without issue, and even then, it is loud.  Go for the Cooler Master Nepton 240M.  Silent pump, nearly silent fans, same price.

Unless you are doing something very serious other than gaming, don't buy a black drive.  A Seagate barracuda or Western Digital Blue is just fine,

What are you smoking man?

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

For computing or server machines every 100mhz means a lot. Rly. Please, trust me.

That makes much more sense, but I think you mean for like servers, and rendering. Not just "computations" (that's litteraly every single thing the CPU does.

Spoiler

I would personally go for the i7 cos I'm looking to upgrade my rig for streaming purposes.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

indeed, the funny thing is: many people say that you only need 8 gb for gaming, but minecraft is a memory hog,  not even funny, for my birthday im gonna ask for money to buy more ram, after buying my pc im broke af

i5-4690K if you're just gaming, i7's Hyper-Threading doesn't do much in gaming. Although it "can" help, but the price range is pretty big between i5 and i7.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

i7 4790k,if you want the fastest single thread performance.In other words a bit speedy,however little or big depending on application,but definitely faster nonetheless.