CPU Frequency Fluxuation

Verrucosus
Go to solution Solved by xNeon,

Intel built that into the cpu to save power and make your cpu last longer. If you want to, you can turn it off in the BIOS. It's called "Intel Speed Step". It's kind of like running your car at 5000rpm all the time though. It can do it, but your engine is going to last for fewer miles.

Ive have recently noticed that my CPU clock speed has been going up and down a lot at idle or doing simplistic tasks, like scrolling on facebook, or changing tabs on steam. The temperatures do change a little bit. Is there any reason or fix to this? Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
i5 4690k @4.2GHz
Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3
Corsair H100i (Arctic silver 5 thermal paste)
Asus GTX 660Ti
Corsair RM750

| i5 4690k @ 4 GHz | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte H97 Gaming-3 | Corsair RM750 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | 128GB Cruital SSD | 240GB Crutial SSD | 2TB WD Green | NZXT H440|

Intel built that into the cpu to save power and make your cpu last longer. If you want to, you can turn it off in the BIOS. It's called "Intel Speed Step". It's kind of like running your car at 5000rpm all the time though. It can do it, but your engine is going to last for fewer miles.

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.60GHz 1.264v | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16.0GB (2x8GB) | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77 WS | Graphics - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | Storage -  120 GB Samsung 840 EVO | PSU - Corsair RM650 | Case - Corsair 550D

It does that. Dont worry

Yeah, ive had it for a while, but the temperatures just seem to spike to over 50 degrees+, at an ambient of around 25 degrees. 

Ive tried turning the boost mode off in the bios but that just seemed to lock the CPU to 4.2Ghz

| i5 4690k @ 4 GHz | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte H97 Gaming-3 | Corsair RM750 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | 128GB Cruital SSD | 240GB Crutial SSD | 2TB WD Green | NZXT H440|

Oh, ok, thanks for the help.

i5 3570k goes a bit silly overclocked at 4.3 ghz. by that I mean if fluctuating temps, speeds, usage. stopped watching it, its been months now.

Thats normal

When you do anything that uses your CPU it will spike up to a higher frequency to finish the task faster even if youre just browsing the web

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i5 3570k goes a bit silly overclocked at 4.3 ghz. by that I mean if fluctuating temps, speeds, usage. stopped watching it, its been months now.

have you not had any problems at all with it? I have tried lowering the clock speed to 3.8GHz and still has similar results.

I keep well dusted with a stock cooler and I've had no crashes or problems b/c of the cpu. max temp 70.