Suggestions for upgrade build.

Here is what I have so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NbwfjX

I have been out of the building scene for long enough that I don't know which brands and models work best together anymore.  Mostly I just want to make sure I'm not buying some known super bad part or something.

My budget is for whatever will work best while not simply wasting money for the sake of spending more.

My plan is to use my current video card for the time being, along with my current HDDs and SSDs.

Plans are to later upgrade to a hybrid 980, and possibly a 5960 (if directx12 makes it worth it).

There is 0 chance (unless your profession requires it) that you will use 32gb ram heck 16 is probably more than enough. Also right in ~5 months 390x.. With mega opencl

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

What use are you giving it? for just gaming and no more than 2 GPUs go with socket 1150 = more bang per buck!

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

There is 0 chance (unless your profession requires it) that you will use 32gb ram heck 16 is probably more than enough. Also right in ~5 months 390x.. With mega opencl

See, you say things like this, but when I bought 12GB of ram 5 years ago for my current computer, that is my main daily computer, I was told I was stupid for even considering it, and now it almost isn't enough.

What use are you giving it? for just gaming and no more than 2 GPUs go with socket 1150 = more bang per buck!

Mostly gaming with some video rendering/converting.

See, you say things like this, but when I bought 12GB of ram 5 years ago for my current computer, that is my main daily computer, I was told I was stupid for even considering it, and now it almost isn't enough.

5 years is a long time in tech.. and for gaming the recommended is 8gb right now... besides if you need it JUST BUY MOAR down the line.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

PSU is a little bit overkill, you can upgrade ram in the future and that mobo has a 5 years warranty: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c8bQYJ

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

5 years is a long time in tech.. and for gaming the recommended is 8gb right now... besides if you need it JUST BUY MOAR down the line.

I agree and disagree.  I could easily just go with 2 or 4 sticks of the 8GB, (which I will likely do), and then add more later.  But if you replace any sticks, like if I got the cheaper 4gb sticks now, its wasted money to replace the working parts.  So I agree with your sentiment, but it can be rather situational.  cost of replacement vs cost of upgrade vs performance/value gained.

PSU is a little bit overkill, you can upgrade ram in the future and that mobo has a 5 years warranty: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c8bQYJ

PSU is the only thing I am never sure no how much I need, and if I eventually upgraded to dual 980s I figured I could use the headroom.  But again, not sure how much peak power things will use later on.

750w is more than enough for dual 980s, considering OC on both CPU and GPUs.
Also the case is a little bit subjective, that corsair is kind of huge! but if you like it go for it!

750w is more than enough for dual 980s, considering OC on both CPU and GPUs.

Also the case is a little bit subjective, that corsair is kind of huge! but if you like it go for it!

Good to know with the 750.  As far as the case, I am just tired of having not enough room in my case, lol.  I would rather have too much than too little.

It has lots of unusable space! it is just for airflow (hence the name!) If you like Corsair a 750D is full tower, can store multiple long GPUs and drives and does not use a lot of desk footprint!

It has lots of unusable space! it is just for airflow (hence the name!) If you like Corsair a 750D is full tower, can store multiple long GPUs and drives and does not use a lot of desk footprint!

My desk is a 3x6 4x8 (just measured cause that seemed a bit large) sheet of plywood with legs on it.  I plan to build a shelf for the case in the corner I don't sit at.  So the case will be off the ground but under the desk where I can't see it or hit it.

Edited by ChineseChef