Looking to get an audiophile-grade headset and mod mic.

Ripull

I currently have a Corsair H2100 and have been having some ridiculous problems with it (low mic volume with static, charging problems, frozen in charging state problems, impossible to turn on without first draining its entire battery..).

Hoping to try get a refund on this thing, but if I can't, I can't. C'est la vie.

Anyway I've already chosen the mic: Modmic 4.0.

My main problem is the headset I'm meant to look for.

I know I want an Open Back one just to try it out for the heck of it cause people say the clarity is better and it's apparently better for gaming aswell.

I don't know what else to look for in an audiophile grade headset though.

There seems to be a huge amount of variants and its definitely confusing.

I've watched a good few videos, still not getting the information I need to make an informed choice, so I was hoping to come here to ask for some advice instead.

I'd probably be willing to pay up to £300 which includes both the headset and mod mic. Could probably stretch to £350, but I feel I might be going overboard for anything over that for my use case (gaming, music, a bit of audio creation for game design.)

I think the Modmic is £30 last time I checked from the retailer I was intending to buy from (will post in an edit).

Oh also, if there are any good reads regarding audiophile headsets, I'd appreciate links to such articles.

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

The hd558 seems to be the go to and same goes for the 710s

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Many good open-back transducer headsets are available from Sennheiser and AKG. Try Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K702 in the ~$300/320£ range

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

HD600/650 used if you can find them, K712 used is another option, or K7XX

More options would be DT990, HE-400, Fidelio X2/X1

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Anything Sennheiser in your price range.

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

I'd be a little concerned about sound from the headset bleeding into the mic. Unless this isn't actually an issue. (In which case I'll go pick up a mod mic too)

Headphones are such a personal preference thing that you should really audition them to find what you like. People kept telling me to get a set of AKG's but after listening to them, I went with Sennheisers. But as for sound quality, open is better than closed for mids and trebles imo and for games, I definitely prefer the openness to the sound but you might not.

a bit of audio creation for game design

Really should be using speakers for creation, but AKG K612 would be good for this purpose and shouldn't disappoint in other areas either.

I'd be a little concerned about sound from the headset bleeding into the mic. Unless this isn't actually an issue. (In which case I'll go pick up a mod mic too)

You'd run into at least one of the following two problems before this becomes an issue:

A) Your headphones are so loud you damage your hearing.

B) Your microphone gain is so high your friends are complaining about hearing everything else in your room.

The hd558 seems to be the go to and same goes for the 710s

What's a 710s?

Headphones are such a personal preference thing that you should really audition them to find what you like. People kept telling me to get a set of AKG's but after listening to them, I went with Sennheisers. But as for sound quality, open is better than closed for mids and trebles imo and for games, I definitely prefer the openness to the sound but you might not.

Pretty sure the mod mic v4 ha good noise cancelling, and like the other guy said, you'd have to have your volumes turned up pretty high for it to be a problem.

Also something Im wondering about audiophile headphone: a lot of then seem to have been around for quite some time.

It doesn't appear that their are many new audiophile headphone release unlike in other categories such as gaming headsets where new models come out all the time.

Is this a fact or am I misinterpreting it based on the few models I've had a look at?

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

Anything Sennheiser in your price range.

Thanks "Linus", but you cannot apply the same logic to headphones as you do soundcards.

I second the point about audio creation on stereo speakers. Maybe not worth it if you're only dabbling but it really makes a difference.

Other than that, I recommend the Phillips X2 for headphones.

Also something Im wondering about audiophile headphone: a lot of then seem to have been around for quite some time.

It doesn't appear that their are many new audiophile headphone release unlike in other categories such as gaming headsets where new models come out all the time.

Is this a fact or am I misinterpreting it based on the few models I've had a look at?

Gaming peripherals are cycled frequently to keep people buying them. They are not actually functionally different than the products they replaced. Same crap with different colors and buzzwords to trick consumers.

Thanks "Linus", but you cannot apply the same logic to headphones as you do soundcards.

Not exactly sure what exactly you're saying, but ok. I just have had great experiences with Sennheiser products. I could also recommend, say a pair of audio-technicas or Bowers & Wilkins.

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

My under $150 pick would be the Phillips SHP9500. For around $150-200 there are the DT990 and AKG K612. Prices in Ireland might be a bit inflated compared to these though. If this is your first pair, I would highly recommend sticking to the cheaper one(the Phillips) until you know what you want in a headphone.