I think Windows screwed up my PC

KrutoyEegrok

Hello,

Back in early June of 2014 I built a computer with the specs listed on my profile, except for one thing. I used a Gigabyte G.1 Sniper Gaming Z87 motherboard. My computer was having problems back in January, so, I took it to micro center and they said I needed a new motherboard. I talked to Gigabyte and they refunded me, and I bought the motherboard you see in my profile now, the MSI Z97 Gaming 5. After I rebuilt the computer a few days ago with the new motherboard, I tried to turn it on and nothing was on the screen. Turns out I put my RAM in starting with the closer slot instead of the second closest one. I switched the RAM around and turned it on and all was good. I started downloading windows, but, when it prompted me to restart, it just turned off. Nothing came back on the screen after it restarted, but the fans and lights were all still going. I have turned it on and off about 7 times and nothing shows up on the screen. The fans are all working and the lights on the board and GPU are all on, but nothing happens on the screen which genuinely confuses me. I am a very novice builder so I really need help. And yes, I have read the readme for no boot/no post

Thanks ahead of time, I know you guys will be helpful.

What does that mean?

It's possible that the monitor wasn't hooked up right.

Also is your monitor connected to your motherboard or graphics card?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

What does that mean?

use the automatic font colour. night theme users can't see your post.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

It's possible that the monitor wasn't hooked up right.

Also is your monitor connected to your motherboard or graphics card?

I tried both, but GPU mainly. I can try a different monitor, but I don't think that will solve it, the monitor I was using works fine.

use the automatic font colour. night theme users can't see your post.

fixed that

Unplug the SSD/HDD and try turning it on.

Just did that, still nothing on monitor

Unplug the SSD/HDD and try turning it on.

How long after turning it on should I wait until I assume it doesn't work?

Hello,
Back in early June of 2014 I built a computer with the specs listed on my profile, except for one thing. I used a Gigabyte G.1 Sniper Gaming Z87 motherboard. My computer was having problems back in January, so, I took it to micro center and they said I needed a new motherboard. I talked to Gigabyte and they refunded me, and I bought the motherboard you see in my profile now, the MSI Z97 Gaming 5. After I rebuilt the computer a few days ago with the new motherboard, I tried to turn it on and nothing was on the screen. Turns out I put my RAM in starting with the closer slot instead of the second closest one. I switched the RAM around and turned it on and all was good. I started downloading windows, but, when it prompted me to restart, it just turned off. Nothing came back on the screen after it restarted, but the fans and lights were all still going. I have turned it on and off about 7 times and nothing shows up on the screen. The fans are all working and the lights on the board and GPU are all on, but nothing happens on the screen which genuinely confuses me. I am a very novice builder so I really need help. And yes, I have read the readme for no boot/no post

Thanks ahead of time, I know you guys will be helpful.

I had an update that did that to my PC. I had to reinstall, unfortunately. I wish you the best, and hope you don't have to

I had an update that did that to my PC. I had to reinstall, unfortunately. I wish you the best, and hope you don't have to

Reinsall all parts or windows?? because I got this while trying to install windows so I can't reinstall windows because it isnt even installed

Reinsall all parts or windows?? because I got this while trying to install windows so I can't reinstall windows because it isnt even installed

Reinstall windows. Like, pop in your installation disc, format and install

When was this subforum renamed from Programming & Software Design to troubleshooting?

In future post here http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Make sure your monitor is not plugged in to your motherboard. Otherwise sounds like a dead mobo.