Codytappen game/streaming/editing rig

codytappen

My current PC is falling apart and cant meet my demands. Here are the specs of my planned next one.

i7 3930k (for editing/rendering 1080p video and still being able to do stuff +using Xsplit and streaming) (also 2011 seems like it will have at least one more gen.)

32GB of Mushkin enhanced Blackline 1600 (the kit is only 150$ and I trust the Mushkin brand so why not pay $50 more and supremely overkill on the RAM)

MSI GTX 670 (for playing games at the besting settings I can with fraps) (I'm not taking the full dive to a 680 because I might want to get a 700 series card)

Corsair Professional Series GOLD AX1200 (possibly one of the same style with lower wattage I just love the overkill and aesthetic)

Asus Rampage IV Extreme (because everything ["verbal period"]) (also because I love the overkill and color scheme)

H100 (for some fairly good OCing)

CoolerMaster Haf X (It just fits. I love the style, air-flow, size, and it will fit the E-ATX mobo)

The Silverstone internal USB 3.0 adapter (it turns the usb 3.0 passthroughs on the front into legitimate ports)

Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 red ( a 700 RPM 200mm fan to be the second fan on the top of the case)

A Bitphenix red alchemy strip or two (for case lighting)

Neutron (240GB model) (for the OS, important programs, and shooting files from Fraps into)

As for other storage I keep all my steam games and other files on a external HDD (1TB) that I can take with me everywhere.

Any suggestions my friends?

edit:RAM has been changed to 16GB of Mushkin Blackline 1600 (9-9-9-24) in quad channel (4x4) (to take advantage of the quad channel support from the 2011 chip) I also changed the PSU to a Corsair Professional Series GOLD AX750W.

second edit: Added a 2TB Baracuda drive and switched the Neutron for a Samsung 840 (higher performance drive, cheaper by $50)

Rig total is now $2,213.88USD

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Woot - I can finally reply now that this has stopped bugging out. I can see you've put a fair bit of thought into some of the components but to be honest A) you're missing parts and B) you're a bit all over the place with the build. Firstly you're missing RAM - I'd go with 8 or 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 - anything higher is pointless for gaming.

B - That system wont draw more than about 475ish watts at peak so downgrade to either a 600w or perhaps the 750, 1200 is overkill for anything but tri and quad GPU setups. That processor is also overkill for gaming videos for YouTube and livestreaming, you'll have better performance for price with a 3770K or an AMD 8350. And as for your point about lifespan/generations of a CPU - you won't wakeup to one day find an 1155 chip failing miserably at everything, they're very strong performers and will be for quite a few years.

The Rampage board - well that's up to you, personally I find them overpriced for what they are. Better value with Asus P8Z77's as well as things like the M-Power from MSI.

Storage? You wont get very far with a 240GB SSD.

Woot - I can finally reply now that this has stopped bugging out. I can see you've put a fair bit of thought into some of the components but to be honest A) you're missing parts and B) you're a bit all over the place with the build. Firstly you're missing RAM - I'd go with 8 or 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 - anything higher is pointless for gaming.

B - That system wont draw more than about 475ish watts at peak so downgrade to either a 600w or perhaps the 750, 1200 is overkill for anything but tri and quad GPU setups. That processor is also overkill for gaming videos for YouTube and livestreaming, you'll have better performance for price with a 3770K or an AMD 8350. And as for your point about lifespan/generations of a CPU - you won't wakeup to one day find an 1155 chip failing miserably at everything, they're very strong performers and will be for quite a few years.

The Rampage board - well that's up to you, personally I find them overpriced for what they are. Better value with Asus P8Z77's as well as things like the M-Power from MSI.

Fuck! I wasn't thinking. I transferred some items out of my wishlist into the cart and I was just copying stuff out of there.....RAM must have been out of stock! Should have proof read the whole thing! I will fix it in a second.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Fixed. Thanks, can't believe I didn't notice the glaring mistake. I know you're right about the PSU but do you anything with greater or equal quality sleeveing and aesthetics at 750W or 860W? Also I run a desk mic (Yeti), a keyboard (BlackWidowUltimate which has an LED for every key), a full LED light mouse (Naga), a USB headset with a sound card which is also light with LEDs (Megaladon) and that external 5200 RPM external drive... so my peripherals tend to take more power than most peoples but they aren't enough to justify more than 30-50W boost in consumption (talking out my ass, I'm just guessing that's what they take). I'm a little wary of anything under 750W because my current computer got to the point where it couldn't boot on a 550W PSU.

Current guts:

Phenom II 1055T w/ a Coolermaster 212+

Palit GTX 580 1.5GB VRAM(underclocked and undervolted just a bit because it's missing a few fan blades on one of it's 2 fans)

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H (USB 3.0 controller on it has never worked and I've tried everything possible to fix it and I also regularly run out of bandwidth on the USB 2.0 controller)

8GB of 1600 Kingston Hyper X's (2x4) (my old 4GB Rip Jaws died a few weeks ago)

Some 3 year old Samsung 1TB drive

Rocket Fish 900W PSU

Have a wonderful day.

If you're worried about PSU wattage, then drop to a 750w. Also drop your RAM to 16GB and spend the extra money on a bigger SSD or proper HD's because using external ones for mainstream use is a bit of a risk. I recomend Seagate Barracudas and WD Blacks which run a little louder.

I also have my current HDD to put in, but I think you're probably right. Although I don't think $50 is gonna cover another HDD or the bump to a 512GB SSD.

Have a wonderful day.

One thing that is about $50-$60 that i've considered for recording is the Intel 330 60GB SSD - purely to dump video footage onto as I record..

An 60GB SSD will fill up really quick using fraps at 1080P. When I record 3-5 Minute songs playing audio surf they are all over 10GB, I mean any type of game play would fill it up even faster. Maybe go with 2 500GB HDDs and RAID 0 them for recording use.

An 60GB SSD will fill up really quick using fraps at 1080P. When I record 3-5 Minute songs playing audio surf they are all over 10GB, I mean any type of game play would fill it up even faster. Maybe go with 2 500GB HDDs and RAID 0 them for recording use.
Just depends on the settings at which he is recording - if he's maxed everything out then yes, you'll be recording about a gig per 30 seconds.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Atb3

About a thousand dollars less just wait for the swiftech h220 to get as a cpu cooler

If you wanted you could save 100 dollars go with the cheapest 670 from PNY and then just water cool it and not have to worry about getting the swiftec cpu cooler.

Just depends on the settings at which he is recording - if he's maxed everything out then yes' date=' you'll be recording about a gig per 30 seconds.[/quote']

I mean if he's recording for youtube with fraps at im guessing 1080p and you would def want to use full screen not half shit will fill up real quick.

About a thousand dollars less just wait for the swiftech h220 to get as a cpu cooler

If you wanted you could save 100 dollars go with the cheapest 670 from PNY and then just water cool it and not have to worry about getting the swiftec cpu cooler.

Not really ready for dive into water cooling maybe someday... Also there is not way in hell a 8350 could outperform a 3930k.

Have a wonderful day.

I'm not getting a 60GB SSD anyway; I'll save some space on my 840 for the videos. They don't take up too much, never gone over 20GB at 720p so I imagine I'll only need to save around 40GB .

Have a wonderful day.

For what you're doing, you'll get better price vs performance with a 3770K or 8350.

Yea a 8350 beats the 3570k, 3770k, and the 3820 in streaming and thats what you want to do so that is what i will go with.

Yes but I have the money for a 3930k which will give me a huge performance boost by comparison to the 8350.

Have a wonderful day.

not really i mean the 8350 gives you such great performance that i just don't see the advantage of spending the 1000 more to get that performance but then again it is your money so do what you will. (not trying to be rude if it comes out that way sorry)

It's not "1000" more. The rig you provided was a bit downgraded overall (save for the SSD which was upgraded) less RAM, no CPU cooler (H100 costs $100), no extra fan, much worse onboard sound, a completely different PSU (a good deal cheaper, and I picked the other one with a reason), I could also personally cut the board back to model before it and save a good deal... plus the benchmarks show around 9 (8350) to 12 (3930k) performance wise.

I know you don't intend to come of harshly, and you don't ;) Remember we're buddies here.

Have a wonderful day.

For the ram I put 8gb in there as a place holed, you could get more its just up to you. I assumed you where going with 4 sticks because of 2011's quad channel memory, XFX's psu's have seasonic oem parts in them (iirc) which are some of the best parts on the market, For the cpu cooler i said wait for the swiftech h220 which beats out the h100. Fans are up to you ( i dont know your preference for noise), and personally i don't need a sound card because i am not that much of an audiophile but if you are and you have headphones/monitors/speakers that can use that card to its tru potential then by all means the sky is that limit.

It's not that I don't think the PSU you picked out used quality components; it was that I chose the other one for design (i.e. Style [which includes the all important cable choices])

Have a wonderful day.

Ahh lol okay makes sense good psu's either way but would recommend an ax 860i or some thing lower due to you never needing that much power lol.

If you look at the edit it'll show that I changed to a Corsair Professional Series GOLD AX750W ;)

Have a wonderful day.

Nice