Need Advice on Upgrade

Austinjh

Hey guys,

My boss wants me to upgrade his system, he has given me a budget of about $150 canadian. His current system is a pentium e2160 (LGA 755), no gpu, and 4gb ddr2(max). i was thinking his best bet is a 250x. is there any other options to save this dated system. all he really plays is WoW. currently he plays at 1440x900 at low getting about 7fps... no idea how he does it.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

You could get a 260x for about $120 but since he only plays WoW then it really isn't necessary and the 250x would work well.

ok thanks, there wouldnt be an issue with compatiblity would there? seeings how his is so much older.

If I were you i'd squeeze another $50 out of him and replace that pentium with a A6 or A8 APU, a Cheap mobo and a stick of ddr3 and call it a day.

ya i wish. he shares it with his wife and wouldnt get approval lol probably something i would do for him later.

ya i wish. he shares it with his wife and wouldnt get approval lol probably something i would do for him later.

It probably wouldn't hurt to ask him but I think he will be satisfied with the 250x if he doesn't get approval from his wife.:)

the CPU is also the weakest link in the chain

WoW is CPU dependent

I am living with 10fps because of my weak GPU

but in all seriousness the system may need a major overhaul

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i agree with arc. an A8 upgrade would probably be the best improvement he'd get.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

i agree with arc. an A8 upgrade would probably be the best improvement he'd get.

go for the i3 at least for the budget PC builds

WoW works best with Intel CPUs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

go for the i3 at least for the budget PC builds

WoW works best with Intel CPUs

true but there is no graphics card in pc, an A8 will be a huge improvement for the OP's boss. i certainly agree that an i3 now and a gpu later would be better in the long run though.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

true but there is no graphics card in pc, an A8 will be a huge improvement for the OP's boss. i certainly agree that an i3 now and a gpu later would be better in the long run though.

the i3 Intel HD graphics is no slouch

WoW isnt as texting on graphics as you think

it will be fine for what he games

the i3 Intel HD graphics is no slouch

WoW isnt as texting on graphics as you think

it will be fine for what he games

That may be so but the cheapest i3 is still more than the price of most A8s and intel's intergrated graphics will not be faster than an A8's GPU.

ok this is awesome guys, im not well versed in amd. can you link me a sutible mother board and cpu, his current board is matx but i didnt look at the case to see what size it is. i will probably go back today and take a look inside to aswell. and i guess a new processor would help the overall system (happy wife...)

That may be so but the cheapest i3 is still more than the price of most A8s and intel's intergrated graphics will not be faster than an A8's GPU.

ok this is awesome guys, im not well versed in amd. can you link me a sutible mother board and cpu, his current board is matx but i didnt look at the case to see what size it is. i will probably go back today and take a look inside to aswell. and i guess a new processor would help the overall system (happy wife...)

Here you go:

CPU: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad7600ybjabox  or this for overclocking: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad580kwohjbox

Mobo: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-a68hme33

Ram: 4GB : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls4g3d1609ds1s00

8GB : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbxl

the cheapest i can find these in canada come to $280 with shipping. I dont think that will work for him, he usually just buys big box computers. if i got the 250x would that help any untill he figures out what he wants to do in terms of all new stuff?

the cheapest i can find these in canada come to $280 with shipping. I dont think that will work for him, he usually just buys big box computers. if i got the 250x would that help any untill he figures out what he wants to do in terms of all new stuff?

it will certainly help. it won't make the game amazingly smooth but it will certainly be an improvement over the 7 fps he's getting right now (unless his pentium is incredibly bad)

might be worth cleaning out the dust and replacing the thermal paste while you're at it. if the system wasn't well maintained then his cpu might be running hot and throttling. besides, thermal paste is cheap.

My rig:

I just decided to go with the 250x, if I find it doesn't really do anything I'll just put it in my moms computer because why not