Is 42MB/s good on a gigabit network ?

L.E.D

As the title says I was wondering is 42MB/s a good speed to see out of a Gigabit network, recently just bought a new NIC because the on board died on me, and between my file server and my PC I am only able to achieve 42MB/s which isn't bad coming from 11.3MB/s

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

1 Gigabit is 1000 Megabits.

42 Megabytes = 332 Megabits. 

It's good, but I'm not sure why it's limited to that. I can't imagine what the bottleneck is unless it's just the HDD. Though I'm used to up to 100MB/s on HDD's, it can vary wildly.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

What are you transferring? Other than a HDD write bottleneck, multiple small files will slow your speed down too.

I was transferring a folder full of files, then I tried a .zip and a .exe  which now I got 52 MB/s I am not sure if there is  a bottle neck on my server but I think there would not be...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Going to need more info than that in order to determine if it's good or not.

What kind of file(s) are you transferring?

What protocol did you use during the transfer (FTP, HTTP, SMB, etc)?

Are you on wired or wireless?

What HDD/SSD do you use (on both clients)?

Does one of the clients use for example RAID?

What router/switch do you use?

How many clients are on the network?

Is it over a LAN or WAN connection?

If you got two computers on your LAN, and just does a simple file transfer of a single large file with for example SMB, from one hard drive to another hard drive on a server (not running RAID or anything like that) then 42MB/s is pretty bad. You should be able to get around 100MB/s (maybe slightly below) with such a setup.

As I said I was transferring folders, with I would assume a bunch of small sized files, a zip file, and a .exe I used these different types so see what varied, It was a single 1TB Sata 2 drive on a CIFS Share on FreeNAS, for my pc I am using a 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, I am using a HP PROCURVE J9028A 24 port gigabit switch, Managed,  Clients, from this switch, are my pc the server and a folding at home pc, LAN also

I hope I answered your questions well enough, 

on a spped test no but if ur downloading something then its probs not u its the server ur downloading from i have 2 gbit speed test in my signature and i download from steam at like 84 mb/s

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

I am not talking about Internet access I am talking about a local file server

I did some testing copying from my NAS to my PC, with one large video it averaged about 70 MB/s with a folder of small files it averaged about 40 MB/s. Local drive is OCZ Vector 250gb and remote drive is 3tb WD green.

Your switch should be faster than mine which is a d-link 8 port green gigabit switch. But I don't care what anybody says, not all gigabit nics are the same. Intel is my favorite for it's speed and throughput.

max trasnfer  rate is 125MB/s over a gigabit network in my experience ssd to ssd via network transfer i usualy see around 95-105MB/s , its probably your harddrive or ssd if you are transferring a lot of smaller files

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

It sounds like the folder you were transferring had a bunch of small files, which means your transfer speeds are going to be limited by the read IOPS ability of your drive. Try copying a single, very large file such as a movie and see how that goes.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

42MB/s sounds pretty normal for that kind of task. Not really good, but not really bad either. Probably HDD bottleneck like some other people have said.

I copied a movie and I saw a max speed of 52MB/s it was close to 6Gbs, In the file server there is a Hitachi 1Tb sata II drive, not sure of the model, I got it in a deal and just decided to make myself a file server so that is were it is, 

Would it help that the file server is only a P4 2.8 Ghz cpu ? It has 2 Gbs of ram, 40Gb IDE Boot drive, a TrendNet Gigabit Nic, My main PC has a TP Link Gigabit NIC we just got last night, and an SSD, The system is a Dell Precision 670 with dual 3.66Ghz Xeon's 6Gbs of memory a 1Tb Western Digital Black HDD, a Radeon HD 6850, I don't think this is the problem ... 

I copied a movie and I saw a max speed of 52MB/s it was close to 6Gbs, In the file server there is a Hitachi 1Tb sata II drive, not sure of the model, I got it in a deal and just decided to make myself a file server so that is were it is, 

Would it help that the file server is only a P4 2.8 Ghz cpu ? It has 2 Gbs of ram, 40Gb IDE Boot drive, a TrendNet Gigabit Nic, My main PC has a TP Link Gigabit NIC we just got last night, and an SSD, The system is a Dell Precision 670 with dual 3.66Ghz Xeon's 6Gbs of memory a 1Tb Western Digital Black HDD, a Radeon HD 6850, I don't think this is the problem ... 

I doubt it, but it could be that IDE boot drive. 

Flash drive is preferred imo. 

Beyond that, never heard of "TrendNet". I prefer Intel myself. It could totally be that too. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I doubt it, but it could be that IDE boot drive. 

Flash drive is preferred imo. 

Beyond that, never heard of "TrendNet". I prefer Intel myself. It could totally be that too. 

I don't see how the boot drive could effect it, 

And for the boot drive, The only drive I have that is big enough is a 16GB Micro SD card ... So yeah Speads are 11.3MB/s thanks to the reader, ( don't have a better reader )

I would got for Intel but they are quite expensive, If I had the extra money I think I would Just build a new main PC all together but for now I guess this will do.

I don't see how the boot drive could effect it, 

And for the boot drive, The only drive I have that is big enough is a 16GB Micro SD card ... So yeah Speads are 11.3MB/s thanks to the reader, ( don't have a better reader )

I would got for Intel but they are quite expensive, If I had the extra money I think I would Just build a new main PC all together but for now I guess this will do.

It's worth it. 

TrendNet's NIC's are $8. Intel's are $28. You are paying for the quality. If you can't afford that extra $20, there's not much that can be done aside from you buying another TrendNet NIC for both your PC and the File Server PC and bridging the connections on both and connecting them with 2 ethernet cords.

Yes, that works, and yes, it would double the maximum throughput. However, it's a bit of a ghetto solution imo for fixing bandwidth issues due to a bad NIC.

† Christian Member †

I think we paid closer to $35 for it, Stupid because it is a PCI NIC but oh well, Next thing to do will be finding a job ...