280X + 7950 Crossfire on 850W PSU?

TheVoiceofExile
Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

My current power supply is a Corsair AX850. I just bought a R9 280X to crossfire with my 7950 (because they can do that) and was looking around to confirm I have enough PSU juice to handle this. Using newegg's power supply calculator for 2 280Xs in Crossfire it recommends a 1550 watt power supply......not sure what newegg is smoking but I'm pretty sure that's it's a little too dank. Cooler Master's PSU calculator doesn't allow for multi-gpu configs so I wasn't able to use that.

Looking at the GPU compare chart it seems that the max TDP of both cards combined (http://www.hwcompare.com/15859/radeon-hd-7950-3gb-vs-radeon-r9-280x/) is 550W. So I should be okay with ~300W of power left over for the rest of my system. My system config is below:

CPU: AMD 8320 @ 4.4GHz (no voltage increase)

Mobo: Gigabyte 990fxa UD-3 rev 1.1

RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz

SSD: Corsair Neutron 120gb

HDD: WD Black 1TB

PSU: Corsair AX 850W

GPU 1: Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X

GPU 2: MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3

I'd just like to get some opinions on this matter and see what you guys think will work. From everything I know it looks like it'll be okay, but there are a lot of people around here with more experience in the CFX department than me. Thanks in advance.

Put your parts in PCpartpicker. Check the wattage average that gives you. It's pretty accurate.

My current power supply is a Corsair AX850. I just bought a R9 280X to crossfire with my 7950 (because they can do that) and was looking around to confirm I have enough PSU juice to handle this. Using newegg's power supply calculator for 2 280Xs in Crossfire it recommends a 1550 watt power supply......not sure what newegg is smoking but I'm pretty sure that's it's a little too dank. Cooler Master's PSU calculator doesn't allow for multi-gpu configs so I wasn't able to use that.

Looking at the GPU compare chart it seems that the max TDP of both cards combined (http://www.hwcompare.com/15859/radeon-hd-7950-3gb-vs-radeon-r9-280x/) is 550W. So I should be okay with ~300W of power left over for the rest of my system. My system config is below:

I'd just like to get some opinions on this matter and see what you guys think will work. From everything I know it looks like it'll be okay, but there are a lot of people around here with more experience in the CFX department than me. Thanks in advance.

Put your parts in PCpartpicker. Check the wattage average that gives you. It's pretty accurate.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

PC Part picker estimates 758W, so looks like I'm good by 100 watts. That's with 2 280Xs which have a higher power draw than 1 280X and 7950. Cool beans. Thanks guys for helping me out.