NVIDIA Shield Portable Durability Issues

What a way to start in LTT Community... :)

Anyway, I had my Old-good NVIDIA Shield Portable since I guess a year now, and usint it was pretty awesome. I used to love the thing, and played almost everything I could on it... until the screen decided to not work 5 months later. Now, I'm having some serious concerns about how durable NV products are.

So, what happened was that one day I was flipping through facebook and suddenly notticed that half of the touchscreen wasn't working. I didn't mind at all, since around that time facebook app was getting updated frequently, and it was common for it to just crash or make the system unresponsive. I closed the lid, and the next time I opened it, there was no output whatsoever. I tapped the buttons and I could hear the thing alive, doing something, but the screen was DEAD.

I didn't apply for the warranty, because I'm not in the USA. So, the best Idea I could come up with was disassemble it and take a look at what would be causing that, and found that the entire flex for the screen ripped appart! Obviously, that's impossible to fix in any cheap way, and I was looking like crazy for a spare screen on almost every page I could find, but nobody sells spares for the Shield portable yet. Not even iFixit, or ebay, or Amazon, or <Inser your own obscure shopping webpage here>.

There's no secret about the Shield Tablet's cracked corners (which I also own, and yes, 3 of the 4 corners are cracked, one badly) and now my question is, have you ever experienced some similar issue with the Shield Portable? If you own a Shield Tablet, how awful those cracks are, if any?

Here, some pretty scary pictures of my poor Shield Portable. :(

post-208733-0-38091600-1427246134_thumb.

post-208733-0-75126600-1427246149_thumb.

post-208733-0-05356000-1427246164_thumb.

post-208733-0-38091600-1427246134_thumb.

post-208733-0-75126600-1427246149_thumb.

post-208733-0-05356000-1427246164_thumb.

-= I'm TheXDS! =-

When I owned one (was for about 4-5 months) I didn't have any issues with it at all, and I'm 99% sure the guy I sold mine to is still using it and the thing isn't broken.

mine is perfectly fine, besides I'm sure it'd be covered by warranty. 

besides, when you buy anything, don't expect it never to break. Especially electronics.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

My friend has had one for at least a year now and has had no issues. He actually really likes it. You really should warranty it.

Also I'm 95% sure that nvidia replaced all the tablets with the cracked corners no questions asked. You probably can still get them to replace it.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

I would get a RMA for both, but...
I've voided the warranty of the portable by opening it and living outside the US (that's what an actual NV tech support guy told me) and shipping the tablet back to get a replacement would be really time consuming, and shipping rates from Honduras (incl. taxes and all that stuff) is enough to just buy another one.

-= I'm TheXDS! =-