16 Bit color depth under Win 8.1

DerBernd
Go to solution Solved by Thx And Bye,

You can simply click on MARK SOLVED under my post. (right where the EDIT (in your posts) and REPORT buttons are)

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to turn Windows 8.1 to 16 Bit color depth. I am running following machine:

AMD FX-4170
Gigabyte GA970A-D3
ATI/AMD Radeon HD6870
some RAM
some Drives

Video Drivers are (Danger translated from German to English, categorys might be named different in English)
Driver-Package Version 14.501.1003-141120a-178000C
Catalyst-Version: 14.12 AMD Catalyst Omega Software

I would like to be able to play hearts of iron 2 in windowed mode since I have three screens (1680x1050 and 2x (1280x1024) and since the engine is not optimized for anything else than 16 Bit and ancient resolutions. I know the second world war was a grim time, I do not want to make it any grimmer by introducing horrific scaling. To achieve that I need the mentioned 16 Bits of color depth.

Additional information: right-click to desktop, select a monitor -> Advanced Options -> list all modes does only produce 32 bit resolution options.

I hope I can solve this under Windows so that I do not have to use my linux Box for gaming (or get a second SSD for the gaming rig and let it run linux for the express purpose of playing games windowed).

Did you try to go to the properties ->  compatibility mode and select 16bit color depth there?

AuDF8eG.jpg

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

That worked. Thank you very much. I threw that idea out before because it could not possibly the solution, but turns out: it is.

Hm, how does one set a topic as answered/solved or do I need moderators privileges for that?

You can simply click on MARK SOLVED under my post. (right where the EDIT (in your posts) and REPORT buttons are)

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Thanks a bunch. Now I can finally conquer the world again. :D