Do company refresh laptop just to update CPU?

crystal6tak

So I'm hopefully getting a laptop for college.

I was looking at the Aorus x3 plus for it's size, weight, performance, and battery life. 

I was hoping they would update the laptop to 970M and broadwell CPU to improve it's already impressive battery life.

However the refresh, X3 Plus v3, came out not too long ago. So now it's 970M with haswell cpu.

Is there any chance gigabyte would update the X3 Plus v3 to use broadwell once that comes out? And before August?

Apple does.

And I have no clue. I'm not sure how much of an advantage Broadwell would actually get you.

Sig under construction.

Yes, though when the laptops get updated will vary by manufacturer.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Maybe. But then you'll be wondering if they're going to refresh for Skylake.

Get a laptop when you actually need it, and with the most up to date specs at the time.

Apple does.

And I have no clue. I'm not sure how much of an advantage Broadwell would actually get you.

not just apple, basicly every laptop manufacter does this with both CPU and GPU, altough they give it a slightly diffrent code name which most people ignore.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Is there any chance gigabyte would update the X3 Plus v3 to use broadwell once that comes out? And before August?

It may not use broadwell unless "haswell" is "end of life".

PLEASE NOTE. I DO NOT GIVE A FLYING FUCK HOW MANY IGNORANT USERS ON THIS OR ANY DESKTOP FORUM WILL TELL YOU OTHERWISE, BROADWELL IS HOTTER AND MORE POWER HUNGRY THAN HASWELL. There is a good chance that the whole notebook will be required to be redesigned for Broadwell, and it may end up being thicker (or the CPU will have a far larger chance of overheating). 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

PLEASE NOTE. I DO NOT GIVE A FLYING FUCK HOW MANY IGNORANT USERS ON THIS OR ANY DESKTOP FORUM WILL TELL YOU OTHERWISE, BROADWELL IS HOTTER AND MORE POWER HUNGRY THAN HASWELL. There is a good chance that the whole notebook will be required to be redesigned for Broadwell, and it may end up being thicker (or the CPU will have a far larger chance of overheating). 

Interesting, can you link me some sources to back that? Not arguing. I'm open to anything. Because so far, everything I read tells broadwell being cooler and more efficient in terms of performance per watt than haswell.

Apple does.

Maybe. But then you'll be wondering if they're going to refresh for Skylake.

Get a laptop when you actually need it, and with the most up to date specs at the time.

Main reason for wanting broadwell is the battery boost. I'd very much like a lightweight gaming laptop with 6-7 hour battery life. Aorus X3 Plus already hits 5 hours so I'm hoping the update to broadwell would increase it by at least an hour. So if it refreshes to skylake instead with the battery boost by August. I'm a happy man.

Interesting, can you link me some sources to back that? Not arguing. I'm open to anything. Because so far, everything I read tells broadwell being cooler and more efficient in terms of performance per watt than haswell.

Main reason for wanting broadwell is the battery boost. I'd very much like a lightweight gaming laptop with 6-7 hour battery life. Aorus X3 Plus already hits 5 hours so I'm hoping the update to broadwell would increase it by at least an hour. So if it refreshes to skylake instead with the battery boost by August. I'm a happy man.

Go to any notebook-centered forum or look up the people who are talking about the new cintiq tablets. EVERYONE who has broadwell there is experiencing more heat, louder fans AND less battery life than the previous gen. *AND* haswell drew more power and generated more heat that Ivy Bridge at the same clocks, so it's been on a direct downward spiral for quite a while. Most of the notebook forums already know, but since desktops have seriously overpowered cooling setups already, nobody really cares, and the only benefit is the increased IPC.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Go to any notebook-centered forum or look up the people who are talking about the new cintiq tablets. EVERYONE who has broadwell there is experiencing more heat, louder fans AND less battery life than the previous gen. *AND* haswell drew more power and generated more heat that Ivy Bridge at the same clocks, so it's been on a direct downward spiral for quite a while. Most of the notebook forums already know, but since desktops have seriously overpowered cooling setups already, nobody really cares, and the only benefit is the increased IPC.

Searched for a solid 30 minutes now. I do not find any cintiq tablet with broadwell. Only cintiq tablet I can find with it's processor listed is the Companion 2. And with that, the latest model is DTH-W1310 which has i7-4558U which is haswell. So if you can send me any direct link to what you're talking about that would be nice.

Laptops like the Dell XPS 13 saw significant boost in battery life. Comparing XPS 13-9333 with XPS 13-9343 with notebookcheck's review, the broadwell one's WiFi Surfing battery time increased by 2 hours while the battery actually got slightly smaller. Temperature and turbo speed both improved too. The haswell one was slightly throttling at max load while the broadwell one remained at max turbo clock under their stress tests. Temperature of the chassis was overall lower as well.

Completely passive laptops like the Acer Aspire Switch 12 and HP Envy x2-j001ng also had no chassis temperature issues. Passive so, no fans, at all.

Searched for a solid 30 minutes now. I do not find any cintiq tablet with broadwell. Only cintiq tablet I can find with it's processor listed is the Companion 2. And with that, the latest model is DTH-W1310 which has i7-4558U which is haswell. So if you can send me any direct link to what you're talking about that would be nice.

Laptops like the Dell XPS 13 saw significant boost in battery life. Comparing XPS 13-9333 with XPS 13-9343 with notebookcheck's review, the broadwell one's WiFi Surfing battery time increased by 2 hours while the battery actually got slightly smaller. Temperature and turbo speed both improved too. The haswell one was slightly throttling at max load while the broadwell one remained at max turbo clock under their stress tests. Temperature of the chassis was overall lower as well.

Completely passive laptops like the Acer Aspire Switch 12 and HP Envy x2-j001ng also had no chassis temperature issues. Passive so, no fans, at all.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/cintiq-companion-2#SpecificationsThis is the Companion 2's specs, and it's listed as being both for haswell and broadwell (4th and 5th gen). The new revision of it with broadwell was what was garnering complaints.

As for the Dell, I haven't seen that, or anyone using that machine say anything. Please also note that the machine has had a redesign, and there are two reviews here that list the maximum fanspeed and CPU performance between the last and current model.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9343-Touchscreen-Ultrabook-Review.135817.0.html  (broadwell)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Update-Dell-XPS-13-9333-Touchscreen-Ultrabook.113709.0.html (haswell)

You can also see that with both CPU and GPU stress, the broadwell chip downclocks more on the CPU than the haswell chip, whereas the haswell chip sits at its base clocks the whole time, though it does not turbo. Also please remember: a "smaller" battery does not mean it has less capacity. My 8-cell battery is tiny compared to my old D900F's battery, but is only 7KW less in max capacity (89000 vs 96000). At the same size, my battery would likely be a far larger charge holder. And please don't take "chassis" temperatures as an indication of "parts" temperatures. I could sit having my CPU at 95 degrees celcius in my computer and my keyboard will be a chilly 30 degrees in the middle of the night. My D900F would have heated my keys up more however, because of the way that machine was designed. Thermal management is NOT cooler parts. It's simply making sure the heat stays where it needs to stay and goes where it needs to go, which is praise on laptop makers and not the chips. Also, battery eater pro on "high performance" gave 2 hours and 20 minutes on the broadwell machine, compared to 3 hours 37 minutes on the haswell.

You could however check the lenovo Yoga machines for other broadwell-using chips as well for more examples.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/cintiq-companion-2#SpecificationsThis is the Companion 2's specs, and it's listed as being both for haswell and broadwell (4th and 5th gen). The new revision of it with broadwell was what was garnering complaints.

As for the Dell, I haven't seen that, or anyone using that machine say anything. Please also note that the machine has had a redesign, and there are two reviews here that list the maximum fanspeed and CPU performance between the last and current model.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9343-Touchscreen-Ultrabook-Review.135817.0.html  (broadwell)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Update-Dell-XPS-13-9333-Touchscreen-Ultrabook.113709.0.html (haswell)

You can also see that with both CPU and GPU stress, the broadwell chip downclocks more on the CPU than the haswell chip, whereas the haswell chip sits at its base clocks the whole time, though it does not turbo. Also please remember: a "smaller" battery does not mean it has less capacity. My 8-cell battery is tiny compared to my old D900F's battery, but is only 7KW less in max capacity (89000 vs 96000). At the same size, my battery would likely be a far larger charge holder. And please don't take "chassis" temperatures as an indication of "parts" temperatures. I could sit having my CPU at 95 degrees celcius in my computer and my keyboard will be a chilly 30 degrees in the middle of the night. My D900F would have heated my keys up more however, because of the way that machine was designed. Thermal management is NOT cooler parts. It's simply making sure the heat stays where it needs to stay and goes where it needs to go, which is praise on laptop makers and not the chips. Also, battery eater pro on "high performance" gave 2 hours and 20 minutes on the broadwell machine, compared to 3 hours 37 minutes on the haswell.

You could however check the lenovo Yoga machines for other broadwell-using chips as well for more examples.

Again, can you give me some direct link to the forum? I have seen that page and see it lists 5th generation processor. However it seems those models aren't out yet. If you tried to purchase them and search the model number you'll find it's 4th gen haswell based. All reviews I find on it is also haswell based.

For the down-clocking when both CPU and GPU is under load,  it's also worth noting the broadwell GPU only down-clocks to 700 Mhz while the haswell one goes all the way down to 400 Mhz.

Going over the benchmark, it seems broadwell is slightly weaker in the cpu department while being stronger in the gpu department. 

I understand "smaller" battery doesn't mean less capacity and what not. However the numbers don't lie. WiFi Surfing got a 2 hour boost. Also I can see why load got worse time as the overall performance is better since the gpu is working much harder.

Overall, with broadwell, what I'm seeing is pretty much the same CPU performance as haswell. Temperature is hard to judge because as you said, they're using different designs. Whatever the power consumption is though, Wi-Fi battery time increased which is what I'm after. 

I chose to ignore the yoga machines as they seems to have messed up their broadwell model.

I understand "smaller" battery doesn't mean less capacity and what not. However the numbers don't lie. WiFi Surfing got a 2 hour boost. Also I can see why load got worse time as the overall performance is better since the gpu is working much harder.

Wifi surfing did get a boost, it is true, however the "max battery time" got worse, down almost a whole hour from haswell. If you want a forum you can do some research on, http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/hardware-components-and-aftermarket-upgrades.27/try here. Feel free to ask about things. That site is populated almost purely by laptop users and there are a large number of enthusiasts there, including myself.