Dual Booting Windows 8.1 (on SSD) and Ubuntu 14.04.2 (External USB HDD)

Go to solution Solved by Satlen,

Yes you will still need to install the grub bootloader because that is what tells your computer to boot to either windows or ubuntu.

Hi there,

So i've been using Windows for a while now, and i'd like to make use Linux as well. However, the issues with the GRUB bootloader and Win8.1 are a little worrying. Add to that the fact that 40gigs on the SSD won't be enough for Linux, means that my only option is to use an external USB HDD.

Ubuntu would be installed on a 350GB partition on the USB HDD (i can reformat to use the entire drive if that will make things easier). 

so (TLDR): If i install Ubuntu on the USB HDD, do i need to worry about the GRUB bootloader?

Storage situation:

0YelFO5.png

thanks

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Is everyone in this section scared of Linux? I've been helping people with Windows problems in the software topic, but everyone has just skipped over my thread..

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Yes you will still need to install the grub bootloader because that is what tells your computer to boot to either windows or ubuntu.

Doesn't Ubuntu automatically install Grubs bootloader?

Ah, that is what i was worried about.

Thanks for the help