Recommendations/Suggestions for change?

CNGaming38

This is my baseline build for a video editing/recording and heavy gaming PC, and although I have yet to build it, I'm pretty sure that this is an alright build, that being said, I want to know if there's anything blatantly wrong, as it will be my first DIY PC, and/or if you have any suggestions, changes or tweaks. I'm not sure how much better I can do for <1800$ Canadian though.

Current Build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Y6jc7P

Get a 750w power supply and if you get a i7 your most likely going to need 16gb's of ram

Get a 750w power supply and if you get a i7 your most likely going to need 16gb's of ram

Through all the rendering benchmarks i've seen, It's not a performance increase from 8gb to 16gb that warrants the way increased cost. I appreciate the advice/suggestions, but I don't see anything that really gives me a reason to follow them.

Through all the rendering benchmarks i've seen, It's not a performance increase from 8gb to 16gb that warrants the way increased cost. I appreciate the advice/suggestions, but I don't see anything that really gives me a reason to follow them.

Well I mean what do you plan to do with the system

Getting an i7 doesn't mean you NEED 16gb of RAM.

Well I mean what do you plan to do with the system

As I said in my original post, I'm planning on using this system for video recording/editing, and heavy gaming, and from what i've seen, the majority of games don't go above 6-7 gigs of ram at the maximum.

As I said in my original post, I'm planning on using this system for video recording/editing, and heavy gaming, and from what i've seen, the majority of games don't go above 6-7 gigs of ram at the maximum.

For the best for video editing you going to need 16gb it's going to be way faster

Getting an i7 doesn't mean you NEED 16gb of RAM.

Getting a i7 normally means you going to video edit which vidoe editing is better with more ram

For the best for video editing you going to need 16gb it's going to be way faster

Not from the benchmarks i've seen, to me at least, it only seems like a 10-15% increase in speed, and I personally don't think that justifies the extra 70-100+ dollars it would cost.

How often are you going to edit? If it's just a youtube video a day or two, a 4690K will be fine.

4790K's are great processors, but people for some reason strongly believe you need hyperthreading to render quickly. Which is simply not true.

My school uses i5 4590's, with 12GB's of generic 1866MHz memory, and comparing the render times to my deceased 4770's they weren't very different. I find it hard to reconcile $110 for someone who isn't doing professional work.

You could repurpose that $100 into getting some nice G1 970's which will make a much bigger difference. Also, 8GB is enough. But if you want to render and game at the same time, you might want to consider getting 16.

Hope this helped. :)

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

How often are you going to edit? If it's just a youtube video a day or two, a 4690K will be fine.

4790K's are great processors, but people for some reason strongly believe you need hyperthreading to render quickly. Which is simply not true.

My school uses i5 4590's, with 12GB's of generic 1866MHz memory, and comparing the render times to my deceased 4770's they weren't very different. I find it hard to reconcile $110 for someone who isn't doing professional work.

You could repurpose that $100 into getting some nice G1 970's which will make a much bigger difference. Also, 8GB is enough. But if you want to render and game at the same time, you might want to consider getting 16.

That definitely helped, thank you very much, I wasn't completely sure of the whole i7 thing due to the fact that I wouldn't be doing a super crazy amount of editing, but moving on to your other point, would you recommend a 970 over 980? 

This is my baseline build for a video editing/recording and heavy gaming PC, and although I have yet to build it, I'm pretty sure that this is an alright build, that being said, I want to know if there's anything blatantly wrong, as it will be my first DIY PC, and/or if you have any suggestions, changes or tweaks. I'm not sure how much better I can do for <1800$ Canadian though.

Current Build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Y6jc7P

The H105 is a thick radiator. With the reasonably tall heat sink along the top/right edge of the motherboard I am not sure the radiator will mount very easily in the top. You might consider going with the H100i instead.

Not from the benchmarks i've seen, to me at least, it only seems like a 10-15% increase in speed, and I personally don't think that justifies the extra 70-100+ dollars it would cost.

I am not suggesting you go with 16GB, but a 10%-15% improvement for a 5% increase in cost seems pretty reasonable to me.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

That definitely helped, thank you very much, I wasn't completely sure of the whole i7 thing due to the fact that I wouldn't be doing a super crazy amount of editing, but moving on to your other point, would you recommend a 970 over 980? 

Also, is the 4690k a good overclocker, I was hoping to get to 4.5Ghz with the cooler that I have, but I'm not sure how attainable that it now that i'm dropping to a 4960K

if you went with an i5, you could spend the spare money on getting 2 970's as opposed to an 980 and a 4790K.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Also, is the 4690k a good overclocker, I was hoping to get to 4.5Ghz with the cooler that I have, but I'm not sure how attainable that it now that i'm dropping to a 4960K

Most Haswell processors overclock nicely, but they get very hot.

Haswell. Powering Blast Furnaces since 2013.

Using the suggestions and recommendations I've received, this is the build that I believe I will go with, now there will definitely be some tweaking needed later on, but it seems pretty solid to me.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/4MsJZL

Using the suggestions and recommendations I've received, this is the build that I believe I will go with, now there will definitely be some tweaking needed later on, but it seems pretty solid to me.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/4MsJZL

See if you can switch the 980 with 2 970's.

See if you can switch the 980 with 2 970's.

I was thinking about it, but it put me >100$ over my budget. Are the dual 970 a huge amount better than the 980, I still feel like the whole, 3.5 + 0.5 memory thing will come into play

I was thinking about it, but it put me >100$ over my budget. Are the dual 970 a huge amount better than the 980, I still feel like the whole, 3.5 + 0.5 memory thing will come into play

Dual 970's will be around 70% quicker.

And at 1440P and 1080P you will not notice this issue.

Dual 970's will be around 70% quicker.

And at 1440P and 1080P you will not notice this issue.

I'll definitely keep it in consideration, but I think I'll stick with my 980 for now, as I can always add another 980 in SLI when my computer starts running down. That or i'll just wait for the 390/390x when it comes out.