Home Automation

Chainesaw

Anyone else getting into Home Automation ? Would be great to get a subforum created and I would love to get some reviews from Linus on some the controllers on the market. - Thoughts?

What is that? Lights turning on when you enter your house? 

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Anyone else getting into Home Automation ? Would be great to get a subforum created and I would love to get some reviews from Linus on some the controllers on the market. - Thoughts?

Or just create a subforum for micro controllers in general/electronics. Home automation somewhat falls under that. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

youtube is great for this has a tonne of great set up guides and product reviews. If you want to go on the cheap you can even use networked rasberry pi's with some fairly cheap wall sockets and swithches which make it really easy to create your own server controlled systems. I know it sounds quite daunting but a child could do it.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Well..  more than that..  but yeah, that's the gist of it. You can add lots of ITTT (If This,Then do That) rules  - For example, *IF* Between 7pm and 6am (when it's dark outside) and my front door is unlocked, *Then* turn on the lights. The Home Automation industry will (hopefully IMO) be the next big tech evolution. 

Currently I have all my door locks done and almost all of my light switches upstairs (about 15 total) and a few Hue LED strips. I am using a Vera controller, but I also have a Wink (it's useless) - There are several HA forums.. I just thought there might be a few more tech junkies here that would be interested in it a well. 

Well..  more than that..  but yeah, that's the gist of it. You can add lots of ITTT (If This,Then do That) rules  - For example, *IF* Between 7pm and 6am (when it's dark outside) and my front door is unlocked, *Then* turn on the lights. The Home Automation industry will (hopefully IMO) be the next big tech evolution. 

Currently I have all my door locks done and almost all of my light switches upstairs (about 15 total) and a few Hue LED strips. I am using a Vera controller, but I also have a Wink (it's useless) - There are several HA forums.. I just thought there might be a few more tech junkies here that would be interested in it a well. 

Nice. Will be definitely add those things to my house that will be built in maybe 15-20 years haha

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

youtube is great for this has a tonne of great set up guides and product reviews. If you want to go on the cheap you can even use networked rasberry pi's with some fairly cheap wall sockets and swithches which make it really easy to create your own server controlled systems. I know it sounds quite daunting but a child could do it.

You can get more control with a few rasberry pi's than with most commercial home automation kits and it can all be done from server. The possibilities are endless when you do it yourself can even link it up to light censer rss feeds for weather, calender etc. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

• 2 months later...

im actually really planning on doing this kinda thing. i got a raspberry pi lying around ill get some sensors soon and start with a simple clap-on function for waking my pc when i get home but ultimatly im planning on controlling windows blinds, lights, heating and room fan. also maybe have the coffe ready when i get home would be nice :D i love how as a software developer i already have the knowledge to do all that it just need a little money. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I misread that then I thought you said Linus* turning on when you enter the house. Just keep him in a box in the corner. :)

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Yeah, I think that would be a good idea! Poll it?

Core i3-4150 | MSI B85I |EVGA GTX 750ti |Cooler Master Elite 110

My dad has some pretty cool home automation stuff in his house.

Light controllers, TV controllers, window and door controls, Etc. Unfortunately I dont think any of the stuff he has is publicly available yet. 

There is certainly going to be a home automation boom in the coming years. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro