Looking for advice.Wanting to upgrade my 680s (Titan X maybe?)

Go to solution Solved by Najuno,

Easy fix when you want to upgrade to 1440p or even 4K then the Titan X is the best choice for you, period. It's the fastest single GPU on the market by far and almost as fast as the others in SLI or CF. Comes with good OCing potential and 12GB VRAM. But it does not have the issues of all the other SLI or CF combos, like missing profiles and so on.

Hi Folks,

i am having the opportunity to upgrade my video card , since i got a friend from the US coming to where i live (Argentina) in about a month. (hardware here is very very expensive) 
So i gotta decide what would be the best upgrade soon.
------------------
My specs are the following:

Asus Sabertooth Z77 
i7 3770k 4.3 GHZ (h80i cooler)
Corsair 12GB Ram 1800MHZ 
2x MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III    SLI
Ultra X3 1600W PSU
Asus VG236H 23-inch 120hz 
Haf 932 case
------------------
im sure im gonna get at least 600 US$ for my both 680s.

i think my options would be:

1-Titan X (Hopefully EVGA SC edition if it comes out soon)
2-GTX 970 SLI(with all the 3.5gb issues im not sure though)
3-Amd 295x2

I have to decide and make the card ship to his place before his flight (april 16), so sadly i can not wait for the new amd 300 series to come out.

if i go for the Titan X ,is it too much for 1080p 120hz gaming? (i might get a new monitor with gsync in the future)
would my 12gb ram be an issue ? 
I'd like to be able to max out games like battlefield, gta v, the witcher 3...

What do you guys recommend ?

Thanks for the reply!

if i go for the Titan X ,is it too much for 1080p 120hz gaming? (i might get a new monitor with gsync in the future)

A single 970 or 980 should be enough for 120hz 1080p gaming -

SLI 970s are a better option

the R9 295x2 is a great option too - its more powerful than the titan z (though has its own issues such as size, heat, crossfire etc)

12gb of ram is fine, even 8gb is fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The Titan x would gutter stomp and abuse a 1080P monitor.

Titan x is a 4k card.

I'd get the Sli 970's, but for 1080P even thats op.

TL;DR get a single 970.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Hi Folks,

i am having the opportunity to upgrade my video card , since i got a friend from the US coming to where i live (Argentina) in about a month. (hardware here is very very expensive) 
So i gotta decide what would be the best upgrade soon.
------------------
My specs are the following:

Asus Sabertooth Z77 
i7 3770k 4.3 GHZ (h80i cooler)
Corsair 12GB Ram 1800MHZ 
2x MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III    SLI
Ultra X3 1600W PSU
Asus VG236H 23-inch 120hz 
Haf 932 case
------------------
im sure im gonna get at least 600 US$ for my both 680s.

i think my options would be:

1-Titan X (Hopefully EVGA SC edition if it comes out soon)
2-GTX 970 SLI(with all the 3.5gb issues im not sure though)
3-Amd 295x2

I have to decide and make the card ship to his place before his flight (april 16), so sadly i can not wait for the new amd 300 series to come out.

What do you guys recommend ?

Thanks for the reply!

unless 2gb vram is an issue, why on earth would you want to upgrade your 680 sli?  specially for 1080p

680sli should be able to run every single AAA game out there @ 1080p maxed out with an average 60fps

unless 2gb vram is an issue, why on earth would you want to upgrade your 680 sli?  specially for 1080p

680sli should be able to run every single AAA game out there @ 1080p maxed out with an average 60fps

Probably just to upgrade for teh future?  600 american, maybe go for a 980? I doubt a Titan will be a cost efficient purchase, and a 970 or a 980 will be more than enough for 1080p.  295x2 would also be wayyy overkill, but if that's what you wanna spend it on, it's gonna rock.

Yes, i want to upgrade for the future and as i said will probably get a new monitor this year (4k or 1440p)..     a single 970  is not an option, it would be kind of a downgrade...
Meanwhile i could even try DSR in 1080p.
i know the 680s are excellent cards, but this is my chance to upgrade them without spending lots of money.

If you're considering a Titan X then you should also consider SLI 980s. I had a 970 and it was extremely good at 1080p gaming, and now I have 2 290xs (so basically same as 295x2) and it's fantastic as well.

A 295x2 is only very slightly slower than SLI 980s at 4k, by the way, so do consider the diminishing returns.

Easy fix when you want to upgrade to 1440p or even 4K then the Titan X is the best choice for you, period. It's the fastest single GPU on the market by far and almost as fast as the others in SLI or CF. Comes with good OCing potential and 12GB VRAM. But it does not have the issues of all the other SLI or CF combos, like missing profiles and so on.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Yes, Thats one of the reasons of why i like the Titan X (Single Gpu Power). not having to deal with possible sli issues.

would 12gb ddr3 memory ram be an issue?

Im worried about the reported high temps under load (around 83C),

Yes, Thats one of the reasons of why i like the Titan X (Single Gpu Power). not having to deal with possible sli issues.

It's not DDR3 RAM on the card it's GDDR5 ;). And why would that be an issue?

83 Celsius in fine for a GPU. They can withstand a lot more than that. Worst case that happens if you OC and the application gets too greedy the cards will throttle down. But won't happen with mild OCs and well yeah then I guess as long as you aren't too bothered with the sounds of the standard heatsink fan you will be more than alright.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

It's not DDR3 RAM on the card it's GDDR5 ;). And why would that be an issue?

83 Celsius in fine for a GPU. They can withstand a lot more than that. Worst case that happens if you OC and the application gets too greedy the cards will throttle down. But won't happen with mild OCs and well yeah then I guess as long as you aren't too bothered with the sounds of the standard heatsink fan you will be more than alright.

I was talking about my system memory ram wich is 12gb! :P  

I was talking about my system memory ram wich is 12gb! :P  

Not a problem either ;).

Get the fastest cards you can afford to buy and DONT take notice of these people which say its overkill for 1080p gaming nothing is overkill. Its a silly name some idiot made up years ago, which has since then been spread around like a thin layer of butter on toast. Jesus even if its overkill which some people say don't mean its overkill 2 years from now or if you decide to upgrade your monitor. Nothing is overkill, stupid word.

Titan X is good up to 91 degrees though I have heard it's quite noisy too.

I'd factor in a few more things though.

Firstly, will you get another change within the next few years to upgrade while avoiding the prices of Argentina?

Secondly, how good or bad has your SLI experience been? You can get more power for less money if the trade off is worth it to you.

Third is resale value. If in a few years you sell off new cards to upgrade, will you get as much back for a titan X as two 980s sold separately? Can you find a buyer with a suitably high budget for a Titan X?

If you choose between 295x2 or titan x, then get the titan x. There's a lot of problem with 295 since it's xfire. Not only that, you have problems with stuttering, blackscreens and many more. Although, both gpu's are really overkill for your setup but it's your money. Do whatever you like.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Titan X is good up to 91 degrees though I have heard it's quite noisy too.

I'd factor in a few more things though.

Firstly, will you get another change within the next few years to upgrade while avoiding the prices of Argentina?

Secondly, how good or bad has your SLI experience been? You can get more power for less money if the trade off is worth it to you.

Third is resale value. If in a few years you sell off new cards to upgrade, will you get as much back for a titan X as two 980s sold separately? Can you find a buyer with a suitably high budget for a Titan X?

91c temp seems kinda scary! is it something to be worried about ? im used to twin frozer temps. low temps makes me feel like im not burning stuff hehe :rolleyes: 

Yes i usually go to New York for christmas / new year. and bring some stuff with me.

My sli experience was overall good, but i had to disable it for some games and that pissed me off... :angry:

the worst exp was having a quad sli setup before(295gtx),(Stuttering, bad support,1 gpu died,etc)

about the resale value im sure i could sell a titan x for at least the price i paid for it. eventually a buyer would appear.

91c temp seems kinda scary! is it something to be worried about ? im used to twin frozer temps. low temps makes me feel like im not burning stuff hehe :rolleyes: 

Yes i usually go to New York for christmas / new year. and bring some stuff with me.

My sli experience was overall good, but i had to disable it for some games and that pissed me off... :angry:

the worst exp was having a quad sli setup before(295gtx),(Stuttering, bad support,1 gpu died,etc)

about the resale value im sure i could sell a titan x for at least the price i paid for it. eventually a buyer would appear.

If you want to read a conclusion from a person that ownes a Titan X (or 2 :P) read in the LTT 3D Mark thread what I wrote. This describes pretty accurate what this is all about.

goin for the titan x !! for sure is overkill for 1080p 120hz until i get a new monitor. but who cares., maximum single gpu power > sli
hope i can get an evga superclocked edition.

Hello, i am from Argentina too. I think you should go for the 970sli or the r9 295x2. That will be prepared for your future display upgrade 2k or even 4k.

I would get 2 GTX 980 or an AMD 295X2. The Titan X isn't really worth it in my opnion.

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

As an owner of a single 680, the same one as you have, i see literally no point in upgrading this badboy, especially if you're running 1080p.

And since you have 2 of those, unless you're going 4k, forget about the upgrade, you dont need it.