WD drive not Detected

Hey Guys, 

My friend has bought another Hard drive for his system from Western Digital it's a 3TB Green drive but it won't come up on windows all connections have been checked etc. But no matter what it doesn't come up on windows.

The System Already has A 1TB Blue Drive within and an SSD that installed without issue, my suspicion is that it needs the Advanced Format utility for being over 2.1TB on windows but we look on the western digital site and there are no Downloads anywhere for the utility just a submission thing that does nothing at all.

if you guys have a solution or a link to the utility please inform me Asap. 

Thanks,

- Biscuit

Did you already create a new simple volume under disk management?

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Did you already create a new simple volume under disk management?

It doesn't Appear at all in Disk management :/

Have you tried anything under Disk Management?

Did you check Disk drives in Device manager?

EASEUS Partition Master?

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

It doesn't Appear at all in Disk management :/

Ouch.

Try plugging it in to any other available SATA ports and see if it shows in the bios.

If you have another pc try there as well.

If they drive does not show it is more than likely DOA.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Have you tried anything under Disk Management?

Did you check Disk drives in Device manager?

EASEUS Partition Master?

No not tried anything nothing has come up in there though. And no it doesn't Appear in Device manager.

Ouch.

Try plugging it in to any other available SATA ports and see if it shows in the bios.

If you have another pc try there as well.

If they drive does not show it is more than likely DOA.

Tried all the SATA ports there are no other PC's Available right now My suspicion is That on the windows site it says Drives or 2.1TB needs an advanced format

No not tried anything nothing has come up in there though. And no it doesn't Appear in Device manager.

Have you checked that drive in any other spare PC or your PC?

You can try that.

Just saying, may be its DOA. But I could be wrong.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

The motherboard manufacturer was the one that provided the 2+TB drivers for my board. I'd check their site. 

I just installed a 3TB WD black less than a week ago into my rig and I did not have to download anything from Microsoft or WD.

You do have uefi correct?

Tried all the SATA ports there are no other PC's Available right now My suspicion is That on the windows site it says Drives or 2.1TB needs an advanced format

The motherboard manufacturer was the one that provided the 2+TB drivers for my board. I'd check their site. 

I agree with @tmlhalo check the board manufacturer for drivers. Download latest drivers and update with if it appears after a restart.

I just installed a 3TB WD black less than a week ago into my rig and I did not have to download anything from Microsoft or WD.

You do have uefi correct?

The Board is:  MSI Z87-G45 Gaming and Bychecking their site I haven't found too much.

If it is plugged into the additional SATA ports that MSI added to the board it may also need the Asmedia SATA driver that is near the middle.

Try Intel Rapid Storage Technology under the support, drivers section for that board. Should be the first one on the list.

Right I'll give that a go I'll update you with the results

If it is plugged into the additional SATA ports that MSI added to the board it may also need the Asmedia SATA driver that is near the middle.

Ok thanks

Both have been installed but still no avail :/

Both have been installed but still no avail :/

Well, I'm out of ideas at the moment. Try seeing if the BIOS recognizes the drive. If it doesn't then I'm fairly sure it is DOA at this point. Can also try sending Captain_WD a message on the forums. They work for Western Digital and will probably have more insight.

Well, I'm out of ideas at the moment. Try seeing if the BIOS recognizes the drive. If it doesn't then I'm fairly sure it is DOA at this point. Can also try sending Captain_WD a message on the forums. They work for Western Digital and will probably have more insight.

Ok thanks man

Ok thanks man

I went ahead and sent them a message with a link to this thread too. Good luck, hope the issue can be resolved. 

Hey Guys, 

My friend has bought another Hard drive for his system from Western Digital it's a 3TB Green drive but it won't come up on windows all connections have been checked etc. But no matter what it doesn't come up on windows.

The System Already has A 1TB Blue Drive within and an SSD that installed without issue, my suspicion is that it needs the Advanced Format utility for being over 2.1TB on windows but we look on the western digital site and there are no Downloads anywhere for the utility just a submission thing that does nothing at all.

if you guys have a solution or a link to the utility please inform me Asap. 

Thanks,

- Biscuit

Hey OrdinaryBiscuit,

The MSI motherboard that you posted should not have any problems reading larger than 2TB drives. What OS are you running on that rug? What version of the OS (x86 or x64)?
When you plug the drive in the SATA port, can you clearly hear it spin up? Is is properly recognized in BIOS? If the drive is properly seen in BIOS as a 3TB one, either the drive itself has problems or the OS has trouble recognizing it. 
Could you post screenshots of how BIOS sees the drive, your device manager, Disk Management and My Computer? That owuld be helpful.

This is the software that helps with Advance Formated drives, but first read carefully what it does and when it is used. I doubt that you would need it. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=fS7D1K

Thanks @tmlhalo for messaging me. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

• 4 weeks later...

I went ahead and sent them a message with a link to this thread too. Good luck, hope the issue can be resolved. 

Hey OrdinaryBiscuit,

The MSI motherboard that you posted should not have any problems reading larger than 2TB drives. What OS are you running on that rug? What version of the OS (x86 or x64)?
When you plug the drive in the SATA port, can you clearly hear it spin up? Is is properly recognized in BIOS? If the drive is properly seen in BIOS as a 3TB one, either the drive itself has problems or the OS has trouble recognizing it. 
Could you post screenshots of how BIOS sees the drive, your device manager, Disk Management and My Computer? That owuld be helpful.

This is the software that helps with Advance Formated drives, but first read carefully what it does and when it is used. I doubt that you would need it. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=fS7D1K

Thanks @tmlhalo for messaging me. :)

Captain_WD.

All is well now guysturns out the power supply was faulty and an entire rail wasn't functioning at all thanks for your time. :D

All is well now guysturns out the power supply was faulty and an entire rail wasn't functioning at all thanks for your time. :D

Glad to hear you got it resolved :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/