[Build Log] Project build "The Beast MK2"

TaiGeXGaming

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the forum.  I've always enjoyed computers so after saving a load of money up, I decided to make my computer.  At first I bought some crappy parts so I could keep up portability because I had to move around a lot.  However, now I've settled, it's time to put my actual computer together.  Hope you enjoy!

I ordered the parts, and they all arrived!

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770k - I got this for better and faster times for rendering.  Will be overclocking hopefully.  It's at 3.5 but with turbo, it goes to 3.9.  I'm thinking of pushing it to 4.2, maybe 4.5 depending on the temps.

Currently, I have an i5 3570.  Not even the 'k' version, too.  It's okay and does what I need it to, but I want a better one  :)

Mobo - Asus Sabertooth Z87 - I saw Linus do a review of the earlier version, the Z77 and I loved that motherboard.  I love the thermal armour and the dust covers, it makes such a nice, clean build and that's what I'm aiming for, also as much of a  quiet build as possible.

Currently, I'm using a MSI Z77MA-G45 Z77 Ivy Bridge but it only just does the job.  Nothing more.  Going to have a window on the side of my new case so I need it to look nice, plus it only supports 2 6Gb/s ports which bugs me heavily.

RAM - 16Gb DDR3 1866Mhz Vengeance Pro - I've got 2 sticks of 8Gb and if needs be, I could always upgrade to 32Gb however I highly doubt I will need more than 16Gb, considering OS only need 2Gb and games don't use more than 6 (As far as I know, feel free to correct me though!) and the extra 8Gb is just for failsafe really.

Currently, I have 8Gb 1333Mhz RAM which is something I cheaped out on quite a bit due to lacking funds at the time and just getting fed up with not having a fully built computer.

PSU - AX 860W Platinum - Fully modular PSU for the cleanest looking build and very nice cable management if all goes to plan.  Specifically got this due to Haswell using low power states when idling and other things.  Plus, it's platinum efficiency so in the long run it will cost less.

Currently, I have a 750W Gold PSU, but I'll have quite a few more fans with more than enough room for any other things I may need to add which hopefully I won't need to do.

HDD - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black x 2, 1TB Samsung and 60Gb SSD.  At first, I got the 2TB Caviar Black's for a RAID 0 which in the end, got rid of and have them at separate drives.  One for programs, games etc and one for my YouTube videos, since they add up to quite a lot.

Currently, I already had all of these so I didn't need to order any more.

GPU 2GB GByte GTX680 OC WindForce3 - I got it at the time because it was an average price, plus it has 3 fans on the bottom of it for better cooling.  It's a very good graphics card and it does everything I need it to.

Currently, I bought this earlier and I don't need to upgrade it.  It runs every game in 60FPS+ whilst recording on this machine anyway, so there's no need to upgrade anyhow.

Case Corsair C70, White.  Beautiful case - would of gotten the military green to match my career, but the colour scheme of my bedroom is black and white.  My desk it black so for contrast I got the white version.  It has support for a dual rad in the top and more than enough fan mounts for adequate cooling.  It has some really nice handles on it so it's good to carry around where I need it.

Currently, I have a Lian-Li PC-V600FB MiniCase Blk.  I only got this because it was small and easy to move around with at the time.  I almost broke my GPU because it was that small, so part of it is inside one of the hard drive cages.

Cooling - I've gotten a Corsair H110 for for CPU which from all reviews, is an excellent cooler.  I'm (FOR NOW) going to just use the stock fans it comes with (I know, I'm a monster, aren't I?) but next month I'm going to buy some Noctua NF-A14 fans for the same pull configuration. Also most likely going to change around a few of the fans in the case too, not sure yet.

I've also bought some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound for when I replace the pre-applied thermal compound.  Again, probably won't be doing that until next month when I buy some isopropyl alcohol to wipe the H110 clean.  Then again, if the temps are okay, won't need to.

I bought several AF120 fans for the case and also some AF140's.  Should be a lot better than the stock fans in the case, however someone said to me they were just less glamorized versions of the AF series fans.  Not sure.

Currently, I'm using the stock cooler Intel supplies.  (Wow, I really am awful.)

Monitors - I've bought 2 23" Acer LED monitors.  I don't know what else to say other than it will just be easier for video editing etc.

Currently, I have a single 23" monitor I'm going to give to my friend since I broke his via spilling a cup of tea on it.  Oops!  :P

Keyboard - I'm currently using a Corsair K60.

Mouse - I'm currently using a Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition.

Headphones - I'm currently using Gamecom 780's.

On Tuesday/Wednesday, I will be posting pictures as soon as I get home from my barracks and putting this bad boy together.  I can't wait!  If you would like to suggest anything, namely about if I should replace any of the fans in the case that I've written down or if there is any better fans to get for the H110, then please write a reply!  I want to make this the best build possible and I thank all of you for any help.  Thanks in advance!

Thanks for stopping by  :)

Notes:

This is what my computer looked like when I first bought parts a couple months ago: ljlPk0u.jpg

UPDATE

I'm home!  I had a desk built for me too :)

Going to paint it black later on too.  And of course by me, I mean I'm asking my mum to ;D

JADly4O.jpg

Here's the case!  It looks so nice :')  I love the white and it really goes well with my room too.

6XhBC2Q.jpg

Oh wow it looks so nice :)

A5EEwYf.jpg

This is where I'm going to keep it for now, but I'm thinking of putting it on the floor.

ctFWDoi.jpg

Let's open her up!  So much room for activities!

sJ4Ue4L.jpg

Let's get the parts out!

HOrjXFN.jpg

It's huge oh wow

6uztfX4.jpg

Never seen such a big box for parts!

o44iFsU.jpg

Let's open the box!

LHy3ZBg.jpg

FANS!

azSfc5m.jpg

My water cooler!

ALSePDs.jpg

ALL THE FANS

BI6dC92.jpg

Beautiful motherboard :)

nbP3QJJ.jpg

Platinum PSU :D

U5x18Rg.jpg

Installed the PSU

7yz0eq5.jpg

Tricky fan mounts but I did it in the end

nVciFWz.jpg

Installed 6 fans so far

3yQjkGr.jpg

6rYAblW.jpg

Side panel fan mounts

npC6qNN.jpg

I installed the radiator after begging on the forums what was wrong - turns out I was using the 2011 fan mounts so they weren't long enough.  Good going me!  Got it in the end though.

hQ6y8CS.jpg

Had to remove a 140mm fan for the PSU cables sadly :(

8qfBqXW.jpg

Installed my GPU and did some awful cable managing.

ryONTFU.jpg

Rear exhaust fan and the RAM fitted now

eRXyMUP.jpg

How beautiful is this setup?

DR4jw2l.jpg

My shelf just above

JRrmNXW.jpg

O5q1TGv.jpg

Such a lovely setup I think :D

SyjN7iW.jpg

I did run into a MAJOR problem with the mobo - it was keeping my CPU super low so I couldn't play games properly but it's all fixed now.  Yay!

I'd honestly like to thank the LinusTechTips forum for all of their help and support whilst I was building this - If it weren't for you guys, I'd still be sitting here with my water cooling, begging for some help.  Hope you enjoyed - Sorry I didn't get a lot of photos, or the fact that it's not the best build.  But, I like it a lot so I hope you guys do too :)

EDIT:  I forgot to mention;  I need to buy a fan controller for at least 8 fans possibly.  I couldn't use all the fans, hence why some of them are on my shelf.  I am wanting to connect 8 (2 side panel, 2 front, 2 HDD cages, 1 bottom, 1 back exhaust) whilst keeping the 2 140mm's attached to the radiator, plugged into the motherboard.  I also need to buy some Isopropyl alcohol to clean off the CPU so I can apply my own.  I'm thinking of also buying 2 noctua fans for the radiator, not sure yet.

Edited by TaiGeXGaming

That's what mine looks like atm lol

[spoiler=Current Rig:]i5-4670K @ 4.4 Ghz on 1.3v | MSI Z87I | GTX 780 @ 1150 Mhz | 2x8GB ADATA XPG | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | CM V700 PSU | Custom Watercooled in a Caselabs S3

[spoiler=Peripherals:]Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 | Corsair K70 | Sennheiser Urbanite headphones | Corsair Vengeance MM200 | Asus PB278Q + Samsung 22"

Whats in that bucket man ....

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I think he means the floor...

Either way, nice specs. Will work great, can't wait to see it.

One thing I'd suggest for putting the computer together, is don't rush, and make sure you manage the cables as you go.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

What keyboard is that in the picture?

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Sidewinder X6 I think.

Edited by Nicholas Marzio

\

Sidewinder X6 I think.

Yeah, Sidewinder X6 at the time.  Got a Corsair K60 right now.

I think he means the floor...

Either way, nice specs. Will work great, can't wait to see it.

One thing I'd suggest for putting the computer together, is don't rush, and make sure you manage the cables as you go.

I'll be slow and steady - I'm wanting this to be perfect first time :)

Im getting the same cpu, mobo, ram, psu and cpu cooler, but, gtx 780, the air 540 case, 2x2tb seagate barracudas and ive already got the 240gb ssd

What bucket?

Below your desk 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

it looks like a bucket lol, but its just the floor with some tubing on the wall ahahah :lol:

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

So it's the floor that looks dirty ? ( Not trying to be rude here, I just had no clue what it was down there )

So it's the floor that looks dirty ? ( Not trying to be rude here, I just had no clue what it was down there )

The floor isn't dirty, I had the carpet ripped up.  I had it replaced about a month back though.

it looks like a bucket lol, but its just the floor with some tubing on the wall ahahah :lol:

Piped for our heater, I hate there they're placed now.  They're painted black I think - Haven't seen them in quite a few months so I can't remember lol.

what gpu are you using on the pic? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler