ASTRO A40 VS A50

Jonathan W

So I have a PS4 and an older pair of Trittons that I love. I have them hooked up tot he headphone jack on my TV so i can use them for anything, my PS4, my 360, my N64, you get it.

BUUUUUTT the problem now is that my Trittons have for some reason inexplicably died [no not the batteries] ive tried just about everything i can but after x minutes of being on they just shut down and stop producing sound even though the batteries are fine. 

SO! I'm now looking to buy a new pair of Astros for use primarily on my PS4 and my Desktop PC BUTT I dont know what i should buy..my buddy [and every other serious gamer] i see has A50s and praises them and says the A40s are not even close im quality comparison hence their hacked off price, but then i have other peoples telling me the A40s are nearly as good as the A50s just not nearly as expensive and that they A50s's inflated price is half quality, half branding. so IDK what to pick. 

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

My brother has the a40's and I have the a50's. Not gonna lie, they sound nearly identical. My brothers feel a little stiffer and less comfortable however. He wears his as much as I wear mine so I don't think it has to do with them being "worn in", feels more like build quality is a little higher on the a50's. 

Now having said that, wireless headphones is... AMAZING. I bought the a50's only because I had the extra money at the time, I never knew how much I loved having a wireless set of headphones. Its to the point that I miss wearing them when wearing my Sennheisers.

So my recommendation is grab the a40's unless you want the wireless present in the a50's.

Consider HyperX cloud instead of Astro, Astros are straight out terrible

Yeah, get the HyperX Cloud II. Have a pair and love them, just remember to burn them in for about 24-48 hours tough.

I rarely recommend the Astros but for console gaming, the mixamp is very nice. I've never used their headset so I cant comment on the sound quality but if you can find a good deal then go for it. Keep the mixamp and sell the headset if you dont like them. Astro did a good job with the Dolby Headphone for the mixamp. 

Just keep in mind that if youre paying regular pricing, the Astros are very much over priced. Even for the mixamp. But for me the mixamp was well worth it. Just keep that in mind when spending your money. The Astros are not a good bang for your buck

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

I do LOVE having wireless headphones...My Tritton Warhead 7.1s were fuckin awesome while they worked.

So lemme clarify a few things i didnt before [firstly wanna say thanks for all the replies]

-I would like to use them off a headphone jack attached a wireless dock/mixamp so i can use them for all my products that connect to my TV

-I currently am using the PS4 Gold Wireless Headset which is fuckin great because you can separate the game audio volume from the chat audio volume and volume them up and down according to how you want except they tend to lower the sound volume automatically as they die until you recharge them which is kindof annoying since i have to keep turning them up then when they recharge theyre stupid loud.

-I like to wear a beanie between my ears and my headset sometimes when i game so i need something that can accommodate a fat head [that and im a fat guy with a wide head in general lol]

-Also I like things for their Aesthetic value nearly as much as their actual value [yes, im one of the dreaded gamer bling folks]

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

I do LOVE having wireless headphones...My Tritton Warhead 7.1s were fuckin awesome while they worked.

So lemme clarify a few things i didnt before [firstly wanna say thanks for all the replies]

-I would like to use them off a headphone jack attached a wireless dock/mixamp so i can use them for all my products that connect to my TV

-I currently am using the PS4 Gold Wireless Headset which is fuckin great because you can separate the game audio volume from the chat audio volume and volume them up and down according to how you want except they tend to lower the sound volume automatically as they die until you recharge them which is kindof annoying since i have to keep turning them up then when they recharge theyre stupid loud.

-I like to wear a beanie between my ears and my headset sometimes when i game so i need something that can accommodate a fat head [that and im a fat guy with a wide head in general lol]

-Also I like things for their Aesthetic value nearly as much as their actual value [yes, im one of the dreaded gamer bling folks]

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting your set up to look as good as it opperates man! A lot of people are recommending the Hyper X cloud, which I definitely agree is a better choice not only for value but for quality. The problem is I don't believe this headset will work with consoles at all, and it also isn't wireless. I've thrown my a50's against the wall and those suckers are still working great, the wireless connectivity isn't having any problems either. I will point out the battery life has weakened, only holding a charge for 4-5 hours of use instead of 8-9 but thats too be expected from a near 2 year old daily driver.

I believe the mixamp that comes with the a50's has the ability to adjust game sound and chat volume seperately, and the headset itself has a few profiles you can toggle to for music/game/chat use as well. Now if you are running your pc and console through a mixamp already and plan to plug your headset into that mixamp, I wouldn't recommend using the a50's. There are much better priced headsets, even wireless ones that will work just as well like the hyper x's I mentioned earlier. But honestly i've been out of the console game for a fairly long time, back during my 360 games I don't think you could run your sound/mic through a mixamp into the console... /rant