Philippines Will Get Public Nat'l WiFi coverage.

Well here in PH we should be starting to get free WiFi coverage nationally.

But the technology behind it is still in experimentation and PH is geographically handicapped due to it being an archipelago. So for the most part only public places like hospitals, schools, gov't offices, bus terminals etc. will be used to test the tech.

And Yes the supposed average speed is only 256Kbps for each person (which is really slow even for PH standards) but my friends in DOST(Department of Science and Technology)say that these would just be temporary speeds and their real goal is more than 3Mbps per user. Even though these speeds are really slow the main purpose for this is to help rural areas to grow and adapt to technology the way our major cities are adapting. This temp. speed would also be enough to recieve and send IM's giving the option of free messaging. Specially when there's impending danger the gov't can easily notify people what to do or where to go.(This is a really crucial reason, specially after the onslaught of Super Typhoon Haiyan)

This is just the start but hopefully this would succeed and we would be able to reap the benefits. Specially for our growth in tech and being one if not the World's leader in Natural disasters.

Well all I can say that there's gonna be a TON more selfies on my news feed after this.

Did you know that PH already has around a handful of cases where people die due to selfies?  :(

10941518_10152870297096977_6817227286358

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

You know 3Mbit and isn't a lot more than 256 KB/s it's just 1.5x the speed... 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

You know 3Mbit and isn't a lot more than 256 KB/s it's just 1.5x the speed... 

its still progress. And I'm sure speeds will be much higher than that after a few years or so. But I personally won't use this, the danger for someone like me a dev to be using this network is too damn high

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

its still progress. And I'm sure speeds will be much higher than that after a few years or so. But I personally won't use this, the danger for someone like me a dev to be using this network is too damn high

Kk. I just found it to be weird that you say it will only be 2Mbit at the beging and it their goal would be 3 Mbit. (It sounds like you thought the goal would be 3 MB/s.) 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

free 3Mbps wifi? NIce!!! I'm currently paying P1000 for just 2Mbps

That's not surprising for the Philippines.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

That's not surprising for the Philippines.

True, we have the slowest internet speed in asia

:( Nooo i am going over there in June for training and knowledge transfer to our office in Manila

So close...

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

:( Nooo i am going over there in June for training and knowledge transfer to our office in Manila

So close...

I'm confused whether you're disappointed that youll be missing the chance or if the internet speeds are slow?

Internet speeds here are pretty much high end in the corporate level just like other countries. But the consumer part is where it gets tricky. There's already consumer fiber service in most major cities but the max speed is only 200Mbps you can get faster speeds if you'll apply for corporate level services but those aren't cheap as always.

The weird thing here is there is a broadband plan that can reach 200Mbps with half the amount you pay for the fiber equivalent. But it has monthly data caps like around 500GB but that won't be a problem unless you're streaming 4k videos all the time or using p2p

Not bad, wonder how will it work on the streets while driving? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Thats awesome public wifi is a great thing to have

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not bad, wonder how will it work on the streets while driving? 

I remember my friend talking about using old radio frequencies used for national emergencies or something like that. But they could also use the broadcasting network used by local tv stations I'm not sure.

Would have love to be part of the team but when the research started I was still around 16 yrs old. And pretty much a programming and computer geek by then but I knew nothing about communications and such at that point of my life

Thats awesome public wifi is a great thing to have

Manila already has free public wifi on all bus stops/waiting sheds. It was a local project but it wasn't that great since most people would just hang out and become a nuisance to people who actually use the sheds/stops to get a ride.

I'm confused whether you're disappointed that youll be missing the chance or if the internet speeds are slow?

Internet speeds here are pretty much high end in the corporate level just like other countries. But the consumer part is where it gets tricky. There's already consumer fiber service in most major cities but the max speed is only 200Mbps you can get faster speeds if you'll apply for corporate level services but those aren't cheap as always.

The weird thing here is there is a broadband plan that can reach 200Mbps with half the amount you pay for the fiber equivalent. But it has monthly data caps like around 500GB but that won't be a problem unless you're streaming 4k videos all the time or using p2p

That ill miss the chance to try out the wifi. Though with the way this trip is being planned... could end up being July anyway. It was supposed to happen the end of this month and kept getting pushed back.

Joys of big corporate companies.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)