Xeon Workstation - Will it bottleneck/Work?

Simons

Dear Linus folks,

I have been looking abit around the good old interweb, and sometimes you find something that sounds so extreme and stupid, that it might actually be cool to do. So heres the things that I would be using this machine for; Gaming, Rendering, Streaming and what not else that is epic & awesome.

- 2x Six-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3,46Ghz

- HP Z800 Dual Socket Motherboard

- 16GB Memory (To start with)

- GTX 970

The price on these things actually make up for why to choose the CPU & Motherboard. Please dont state ''Overkill'', as everyone wants to do it.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

well, it wont bottleneck like, at all

i dont think it would bottleneck like 4-way SLI 980s

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Benchmark wise, this would be ideal for anyone who wants near 5960x performance, but doesnt wanna pay the last 400$ for the last 1500 benchmark points, and overall 12 actual cores is insane.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

It will bottleneck in single threaded heavy games like KSP, ARMA and old games.

Whats price on that mobo and cpus?

It would be better just to go straight to unlocked broadwell i7 when it releases with big tower cooler.

It would be better just to go straight to unlocked broadwell i7 when it releases with big tower cooler.

That's not half the fun though.

This PC will do killer in multicore CPU intensive tasks (SURPRISE) and I would not doubt that it will do just fine in games as well.

Dear Linus folks,

I have been looking abit around the good old interweb, and sometimes you find something that sounds so extreme and stupid, that it might actually be cool to do. So heres the things that I would be using this machine for; Gaming, Rendering, Streaming and what not else that is epic & awesome.

- 2x Six-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3,46Ghz

- HP Z800 Dual Socket Motherboard

- 16GB Memory (To start with)

- GTX 970

The price on these things actually make up for why to choose the CPU & Motherboard. Please dont state ''Overkill'', as everyone wants to do it.

The computer will do great in multi-core programs but suck ass in single core programs. Getting a single 5820K would be better for gaming.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

The CPUs costs 300€ each or so on eBay, and the motherboard is about 100$+.

The CPUs costs 300€ each or so on eBay, and the motherboard is about 100$+.

for the money you can get avermedia capture card or something and i7 5770k that is enough for gaming with performance to spare. u utuber?

and a 980. with 4gb vram :P so in future you go 980 sli.

maybe even wait for 300 series like 390x.

I already have the GTX 970. We are not talking what is the best solution for gaming, as I know that the Xeon will not beat the 5820k or any X99 CPU in gaming, however it should theoritical beat them in multi threaded applications.

I already have the GTX 970. We are not talking what is the best solution for gaming, as I know that the Xeon will not beat the 5820k or any X99 CPU in gaming, however it should theoritical beat them in multi threaded applications.

Depends on the xeon. Also, with DX12 coming out and even now, performance should be pretty close to each other.

Its undoubtly a thing, that I'd like to try out in the near future to do, just bought a second car, so right now its not possible.