My old PC is dead, help me pick new parts

Hey folks,

My PC died. Rip in pieces. Tried troubleshooting it all last week and haven't been able to pin anything down, stripped it to its core and bare minimum with no results. So I'm admitting defeat and beginning to plan what I can move to. 

For reference, I've got an Antec 650W continuous power PSU, decent CM case, Sapphire R9 270X (when it's returned from warranty repair), and hard drives all still functional. I really only need a new CPU, mobo, and RAM, so this subforum seems perfect. 

I've been out of the game for a little bit and I'd like to know what the landscape is like for the Intel vs AMD thing? From what I gather, Intel is just outright more powerful right now but AMD is cheaper? Is that true, is AMD still a better value even knowing that? Or should I just stick to Intel and spend the extra cash to get a more valuable build? I'm thinking of spending about £400-500 (UK) on this, so I can probably afford a decent 4000 series i5, with 16GB of DDR3. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks, 

DC

i5 4690k

8GB ram, you don't need 16gb for gaming

Any decent ~£100 Z97 board

Hyper 212 EVO cooler

No point getting an FX chip unless you're hoping to build a budget render/streaming rig.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

i5 4660/i5 4690k

8GB hyperX DDR3 RAM

Msi Krait/Asus z97 A/ MSI gaming 5 series.

;) I will not talk about Intel vs AMD, people get so butthurt.

Go intel

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£143.94 @ Aria PC) 

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£66.17 @ Amazon UK) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£110.59 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Total: £345.69

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-16 19:12 GMT+0000

how's this? even threw in a CPU cooler.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Hey folks,

My PC died. Rip in pieces. Tried troubleshooting it all last week and haven't been able to pin anything down, stripped it to its core and bare minimum with no results. So I'm admitting defeat and beginning to plan what I can move to. 

For reference, I've got an Antec 650W continuous power PSU, decent CM case, Sapphire R9 270X (when it's returned from warranty repair), and hard drives all still functional. I really only need a new CPU, mobo, and RAM, so this subforum seems perfect. 

I've been out of the game for a little bit and I'd like to know what the landscape is like for the Intel vs AMD thing? From what I gather, Intel is just outright more powerful right now but AMD is cheaper? Is that true, is AMD still a better value even knowing that? Or should I just stick to Intel and spend the extra cash to get a more valuable build? I'm thinking of spending about £400-500 (UK) on this, so I can probably afford a decent 4000 series i5, with 16GB of DDR3. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks, 

DC

I've got the i5 4690 (NON-K) with the Z97-A from Asus. 

Nice CPU and Mobo. :) If you want to OC get the 4960K with hyper 212 evo from Coolermaster around £25-30. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

i5 4660/i5 4690k

8GB hyperX DDR3 RAM

Msi Krait/Asus z97 A/ MSI gaming 5 series.

;) I will not talk about Intel vs AMD, people get so butthurt.

Go intel

So then, what sort of reasons would someone have to upgrade from an i7 to an i5? Keeping in mind my needs are really only gameplay related.

Maybe some game development. Very much considering going to an i7 just to speed up compile times for GCC.

So then, what sort of reasons would someone have to upgrade from an i7 to an i5? Keeping in mind my needs are really only gameplay related.

Maybe some game development. Very much considering going to an i7 just to speed up compile times for GCC.

I own an i7, but I do some video rendering and animation stuff.  Trust me, having an i7 does not help in increasing framerates.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

So then, whve to upgrade fat sort of reasons would someone harom an i7 to an i5? Keeping in mind my needs are really only gameplay related.

You will see little to no difference when gaming on an i7 contra i5/4660/4690k.

Only gaming i would go with an i5. More `heavy` work such as video/photos i would go with an i7.

But if you have the extra bucks, then yeah why not. ;)

You will see little to no difference when gaming on an i7 contra i5/4660/4690k.

Only gaming i would go with an i5. More `heavy` work such as video/photos i would go with an i7.

But if you have the extra bucks, then yeah why not. ;)

lol actually the i7 does fit in their budget...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£242.14 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£66.17 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£110.59 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £443.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-16 19:19 GMT+0000

That's actually really surprising. I didn't expect it to fit in the budget. Well you folks have pointed me in the right direction anyway. Especially since no one has suggested anything AMD related. Makes it pretty obvious at that point. :)