Need an audio solution.

Skcorpion86

I think I figured it out. But I want to run it through you guys to make sure it would work.

What I need: I need to be able to hear both my console game audio, and My PC audio at the SAME time. 

Like I said I think I figured it out, but I want to guys to look at this diagram I created to make sure this set up will work before spending money on it.. I need to get some sort of combiner, something to take two fiber optic audio signals and make it One signal. Please if you can link me a good, reliable and cheap combiners it would be appreciated. 

If I didn't do a good job explaining something, just let me know and I'll get into more details. 

Headset I plan to get: Astro A50s

post-30062-0-49651300-1426349413_thumb.p

Why dont you use normal wired connection?

Just looking at the picture, I'm gonna say: No.

Easiest solution - buy a FiiO D3, optical from console to D3, D3 output to PC input, PC output to wireless transmitter. Done.

-snip-

You'll spend more in adapters and xmitters. I'd say just get a good A/V receiver, and plug your outputs in that way.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Just looking at the picture, I'm gonna say: No.

Easiest solution - buy a FiiO D3, optical from console to D3, D3 output to PC input, PC output to wireless transmitter. Done.

This Confuses me. I've never heard of these before. Care to explain more and link me what I need? 

You'll spend more in adapters and xmitters. I'd say just get a good A/V receiver, and plug your outputs in that way.

So plug the pc out put and Console output into the A/V receiver. Then plug A/V receiver into my headset transmitter? 

This Confuses me. I've never heard of these before. Care to explain more and link me what I need? 

1. Plug your Console's optical output into a FiiO D3.
  2. The D3 outputs analog audio, so simply connect a 3.5mm cable between it's output and your PC's line-in or microphone-in port.
  3. In Windows, go to your recording devices, go to the properties of the input you used for the D3, go to the Listen tab, check the "Listen to this device." box. Adjust volume to your liking via the Windows volume mixer.
  4. Plug your Computer's optical output into your A50's wireless transmitter. Set the optical output to default sound device like notmal.

Optical mixers simply do not exist (at least not for a reasonable price).

88699f24e4.png

NOTE: The FiiO D3 requires USB power, does not act as a USB DAC.

1. Plug your Console's optical output into a FiiO D3.
  2. The D3 outputs analog audio, so simply connect a 3.5mm cable between it's output and your PC's line-in or microphone-in port.
  3. In Windows, go to your recording devices, go to the properties of the input you used for the D3, go to the Listen tab, check the "Listen to this device." box. Adjust volume to your liking via the Windows volume mixer.
  4. Plug your Computer's optical output into your A50's wireless transmitter. Set the optical output to default sound device like notmal.

Optical mixers simply do not exist (at least not for a reasonable price).

88699f24e4.png

NOTE: The FiiO D3 requires USB power, does not act as a USB DAC.

Ok I understand this setup. But my question is... does the console sounds get put into the PC? Like I can use a mixer on the PC to control the sounds of my game on the console? 

Because if that is the case then it is no good. I stream to twitch, and that is the reason I need to hear both game and PC audio at the same time. If I can hear the console's game sounds on the PC then the viewers would then hear the game audio twice. They would here it twice because my capture card is delayed 1.25 seconds. It takes 1.25 seconds for the game video and audio to reach my PC. So I have to set a delay to my delay to my webcam and mic to match my capture card...if I don't, viewers would see/ hear my reactions to the game 1.25 seconds earlier than they should. That is not good. So I just delay it. Easy fix

If I had the game audio on my PC then I would hear it fine without issues, but the viewers would hear it, then again 1.25 secs later. If I would happen to mute the capture card audio then they wouldn't hear it twice. They would just hear the audio 1.25 seconds before it happens on scree. That is no good.

An easy fix to this would buy a capture card without a delay, but so far the delay isn't really a big deal. I just simply delayed my mic and webcam to match. If there is a way to NOT get the console audio imputed on my PC then that would be great. If not I supposed I'd have to buy a capture card that runs on USB 3.0 or something and not have a delay. But I don't want to buy a new one because I don't have cash to spend, so a solution with my current capture card is preferable. 

Thanks for the help :)

Ok I understand this setup. But my question is... does the console sounds get put into the PC? Like I can use a mixer on the PC to control the sounds of my game on the console? 

Because if that is the case then it is no good. I stream to twitch, and that is the reason I need to hear both game and PC audio at the same time. If I can hear the console's game sounds on the PC then the viewers would then hear the game audio twice. They would here it twice because my capture card is delayed 1.25 seconds. It takes 1.25 seconds for the game video and audio to reach my PC. So I have to set a delay to my delay to my webcam and mic to match my capture card...if I don't, viewers would see/ hear my reactions to the game 1.25 seconds earlier than they should. That is not good. So I just delay it. Easy fix

If I had the game audio on my PC then I would hear it fine without issues, but the viewers would hear it, then again 1.25 secs later. If I would happen to mute the capture card audio then they wouldn't hear it twice. They would just hear the audio 1.25 seconds before it happens on scree. That is no good.

An easy fix to this would buy a capture card without a delay, but so far the delay isn't really a big deal. I just simply delayed my mic and webcam to match. If there is a way to NOT get the console audio imputed on my PC then that would be great. If not I supposed I'd have to buy a capture card that runs on USB 3.0 or something and not have a delay. But I don't want to buy a new one because I don't have cash to spend, so a solution with my current capture card is preferable. 

Thanks for the help :)

Okay, this is really hard for me to wrap my head around what exactly the setup is. :P

There are lots of fancy things you can do with virtual audio software, see VoiceMeeter for example . It allows you to get the audio input coming from the console and pipe it along with your PC audio to any audio output on your system. It's a little tricky to get used to the software but it may help you.

I hope you figure out a way to get this to work.

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

Okay, this is really hard for me to wrap my head around what exactly the setup is. :P

There are lots of fancy things you can do with virtual audio software, see VoiceMeeter for example . It allows you to get the audio input coming from the console and pipe it along with your PC audio to any audio output on your system. It's a little tricky to get used to the software but it may help you.

I hope you figure out a way to get this to work.

Well the whole set up is confusing. All you need to know is that I don't want to put my console audio through my PC audio. That will ruin the purpose of this.

Literally all I want to do is play my console and PC audio in the same headset at the same time. WITHOUT putting my console sounds through my computer, because... reasons (as explained above) 

Well the whole set up is confusing. All you need to know is that I don't want to put my console audio through my PC audio. That will ruin the purpose of this.

Literally all I want to do is play my console and PC audio in the same headset at the same time. WITHOUT putting my console sounds through my computer, because... reasons (as explained above) 

Need an audio mixer then. As to what kind of mixer, just browse around based on what your needs are. Most mixers are multiple analog (stereo) input => 1 analog output. Again, browse around. 

I would recommend the behringer 302usb mixer 2 line inputs, soundcard, and mic preamp.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-BEHRINGER-XENYX/dp/B005EHILV4

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Need an audio mixer then. As to what kind of mixer, just browse around based on what your needs are. Most mixers are multiple analog (stereo) input => 1 analog output. Again, browse around. 

I've looked around and I can't find any that have Optical Digital inputs and output. That is why I came here in the first place. If they exist, then they surly are not easy to find one for sale. Maybe you could help me find what I'm looking for. I might be searching the wrong name or something. I don't know.

I would recommend the behringer 302usb mixer 2 line inputs, soundcard, and mic preamp.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-BEHRINGER-XENYX/dp/B005EHILV4

That combines two audio inputs yes, but there is the problem. They are all RCA audio inputs/outputs. I need to have optic digital inputs and outputs on the mixer. 

Or what I may be able to do is have my 2 optic digital audio cables (PC and Console) converted into a RCA audio cables then plug them in. Then have a RCA audio cable plugged into output and have it converted back to optical digital. If I can do that then I'd be set. But what worries me is that I'm converting the sound twice and I don't know if that will distort the sound any at all.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully you guys can help me finalize this.

I'm going to best buy today and see if they have what I need, that way I can get what I need faster and test it out and take it back if it doesn't work. Hopefully someone there is knowledgeable in this stuff. I know what I need but I just can't find what I'm looking for. So annoying and honestly really makes me mad how complicated this is. I can't believe there isn't a simple adapter you plug two optical digital cables to and boom....Mixed sound. I figured today's technology had that kind of thing. 

You just need a small format mixer, or a receiver.

Anything that can take multiple sources in.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

I've looked around and I can't find any that have Optical Digital inputs and output. That is why I came here in the first place. If they exist, then they surly are not easy to find one for sale. Maybe you could help me find what I'm looking for. I might be searching the wrong name or something. I don't know.

That combines two audio inputs yes, but there is the problem. They are all RCA audio inputs/outputs. I need to have optic digital inputs and outputs on the mixer.

Or what I may be able to do is have my 2 optic digital audio cables (PC and Console) converted into a RCA audio cables then plug them in. Then have a RCA audio cable plugged into output and have it converted back to optical digital. If I can do that then I'd be set. But what worries me is that I'm converting the sound twice and I don't know if that will distort the sound any at all

As ShearMe said earlier, you're not going to be able to find a mixer with optical. You're going to need to convert it to analog first.

As ShearMe said earlier, you're not going to be able to find a mixer with optical. You're going to need to convert it to analog first.

Ok what do i need to convert it from optical to analog? 

and then what do i need to convert if from analog to optical? I tried looking for these things but I can't find them 

Ok what do i need to convert it from optical to analog?

and then what do i need to convert if from analog to optical? I tried looking for these things but I can't find them

You would need to use this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/890577-REG/Fiio_D03K_Digital_Audio_Analog.html

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Wouldn't it just be easier to keep the game audio out of the capture card? What are the inputs for that?

This the kind of information that should be in the OP. ;)

Thank you, looks like that will solve the entire issue. 

I'l get this and the other device and see how it works.

Wouldn't it just be easier to keep the game audio out of the capture card? What are the inputs for that?

This the kind of information that should be in the OP. ;)

No I can't keep the game audio out of the capture card  unfortunately, it would cause audio de syncs on my twitch stream.