Difference between retail DVD and Steam CD key?

numnums
Go to solution Solved by Remilia,

The difference is that it either is DRM-free, uses another DRM than Steam or uses Steamworks(exactly like buying it on steam but with installation from disc).

Hi everyone,

This is probably a silly question, but I was wondering what the differences were between buying a PC game via retail DVD and buying it from Steam. The last game I physically bought for PC was Battlefield 2142, and I remember just installing it and playing. Any help I can get would be much appreciated!

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

one of them you buy from the store like a bestbuy or gamestop, then put the install cd into your pc and it will install, then put the game disc in and play

steam key is just a redeemable code that you put into steam and the entire installation happens there as well as access to the game.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

one of them you buy from the store like a bestbuy or gamestop, then put the install cd into your pc and it will install, then put the game disc in and play

steam key is just a redeemable code that you put into steam and the entire installation happens there as well as access to the game.

Will you always need the CD to pay the game? I always thought that once you installed it from the CD, you can launch the game without it.

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

The difference is that it either is DRM-free, uses another DRM than Steam or uses Steamworks(exactly like buying it on steam but with installation from disc).

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!