Thoughts on my M-ITX Gaming Build?

The_Edster
Here is the planned part list for my new build, my goal is to be able to build a powerful, compact and relatively silent PC. I will be using it for mainly gaming and not too many heavily threaded applications. How did I do? I personally think I could downgrade the CPU slightly as it could possibly be overkill, but I am curious to hear others thoughts.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($409.98 @ DirectCanada) 

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ Memory Express) 

Motherboard: EVGA Stinger WiFi Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ NCIX) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Memory Express) 

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($688.95 @ Vuugo) 

Case: Lian-Li PC-Q08B Mini ITX Tower Case  ($124.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($109.99 @ Canada Computers) 

Total: $1831.39

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-12 17:54 EDT-0400

I also have a 2TB HDD which will be used for mass storage.

Check out my Build Log: Project Contrast

I woudln't downgrade honestly. If you have the money then go for it, because it will give better performance period.

I would only change the cpu and maybe increase the sotrage by getting an external drive or something. 250 gb gets used up fast.

Here is the planned part list for my new build, my goal is to be able to build a powerful, compact and relatively silent PC. I will be using it for mainly gaming and not too many heavily threaded applications. How did I do? I personally think I could downgrade the CPU slightly as it could possibly be overkill, but I am curious to hear others thoughts.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($409.98 @ DirectCanada) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: EVGA Stinger WiFi Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ NCIX) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Memory Express) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($688.95 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q08B Mini ITX Tower Case  ($124.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($109.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $1831.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-12 17:54 EDT-0400

I will definitely downgrade the CPU here. 

Why no HDD?

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I will definitely downgrade the CPU here. 

Why no HDD?

Do you have a mass storage drive

I would only change the cpu and maybe increase the sotrage by getting an external drive or something. 250 gb gets used up fast.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I already have a 2TB hard drive that I will use for mass storage.

Id add a HDD in that for storage.

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

A question I would ask myself would be; What am I going to be playing?

A few months ago a build a system for my brothers friend, very much like the one you have listed here, though with 16 gigs of ram. Though the only thing he really plays is CS:GO and Call of Duty. Games that my aging 660ti and i5 3570k can play pretty much maxed out.

Of course, it also depends on your monitor. If you are planning to upgrade to 4k or similar the 980 might be a good purchase, but otherwise I would personally go with the 970 for 1080 or even 1440p gaming.

The processor is your call. If you like to buy the latest AAA games (BF4 can use more than 4 cores, right?) and max them out, go for it, but otherwise, an i5 should still be plenty.

I would downgrade the CPU and the GPU. A GTX 980 isn't really worth it due to the HUGE price increase in comparison to the 970, and only small incremental performance benefit.

Also, WARNING: Your case is designed for standard sized ATX PSUs, and you have it paired with an SFX PSU.

Speaking of the PSU, if you get a low-height air cooler like the Coler Master GeminII, it will work surprisingly well due to the excellent PSU exhaust fan location since you have a giant exhaust right on top of the CPU cooler. Believe it or not, you do NOT want your PSU fan intaking air from those vents on the side, but rather the other way around from directly above your CPU. So long as you get a great PSU, the higher temps of air going through the PSU won't damage it. Remember, ATX standard PSUs, and JohnnyGuru runs a hotbox test you can refer to.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I already have a 2TB hard drive that I will use for mass storage.

Then good

I woudln't downgrade honestly. If you have the money then go for it, because it will give better performance period.

I know that I will give better performance, but to me it doesn't make sense wasting more money on more GPU or CPU horsepower that might not even be needed.

A question I would ask myself would be; What am I going to be playing?

A few months ago a build a system for my brothers friend, very much like the one you have listed here, though with 16 gigs of ram. Though the only thing he really plays is CS:GO and Call of Duty. Games that my aging 660ti and i5 3570k can play pretty much maxed out.

Of course, it also depends on your monitor. If you are planning to upgrade to 4k or similar the 980 might be a good purchase, but otherwise I would personally go with the 970 for 1080 or even 1440p gaming.

The processor is your call. If you like to buy the latest AAA games (BF4 can use more than 4 cores, right?) and max them out, go for it, but otherwise, an i5 should still be plenty.

I'm thinking this is the way to go, a 970 and a lower i7 should be enough to play all the new games. I don't think I will be switching to a higher resolution for a while.

I would downgrade the CPU and the GPU. A GTX 980 isn't really worth it due to the HUGE price increase in comparison to the 970, and only small incremental performance benefit.

Also, WARNING: Your case is designed for standard sized ATX PSUs, and you have it paired with an SFX PSU.

Speaking of the PSU, if you get a low-height air cooler like the Coler Master GeminII, it will work surprisingly well due to the excellent PSU exhaust fan location since you have a giant exhaust right on top of the CPU cooler.

I think I will downgrade to a 970 after reading everyones replies.

That PSU has a bracket to fit ATX so there is no problem. I was wondering if there is a better solution for the PSU though, I'm going for silence so the reason I chose that is because of the semi-fanless mode. Are there any other good ATX fully-modular semi-fanless power supples?

I think I will stick with the NZXT cooler because it will keep my CPU cooler and I can just put the rad on the front 140 intake.

I know that I will give better performance, but to me it doesn't make sense wasting more money on more GPU or CPU horsepower that might not even be needed.

I'm thinking this is the way to go, a 970 and a lower i7 should be enough to play all the new games. I don't think I will be switching to a higher resolution for a while.

That PSU has a bracket to fit ATX so there is no problem. I was wondering if there is a better solution for the PSU though, I'm going for silence so the reason I chose that is because of the semi-fanless mode. Are there any other good ATX fully-modular semi-fanless power supples?

I think I will stick with the NZXT cooler because it will keep my CPU cooler and I can just put the rad on the front 140 intake.

Yes, there are several ATX PSUs that do that, but I'd have to look them up. There are even some fanless ones, but I wouldn't recommend them for an ITX build.

edit: here, refer to this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Sorry, I should have put it more bluntly: no radiator will fit in that case unless you completely remove BOTH of the two drive bays, leaving you with no storage. There is room for a 140mm fan, but there is not enough depth for the fan and radiator.

The Corsair RM series has a fanless mode, and they are fairly affordable. They only ramp up at 40% load, which is higher than the 20-30% on EVGA powersupplies.

Yes, there are several ATX PSUs that do that, but I'd have to look them up. There are even some fanless ones, but I wouldn't recommend them for an ITX build.

edit: here, refer to this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Sorry, I should have put it more bluntly: no radiator will fit in that case unless you completely remove BOTH of the two drive bays, leaving you with no storage. There is room for a 140mm fan, but there is not enough depth for the fan and radiator.

I think I'm going to go with an RM series by Corsair. Sorry I should have been more clear, my plan is to remove both of the HDD cages and mount my 2TB in the 5.25" bay.

The Corsair RM series has a fanless mode, and they are fairly affordable. They only ramp up at 40% load, which is higher than the 20-30% on EVGA powersupplies.

It seems really good, but do you know if the sticker is removable? I dont like the yellow :/

I think I'm going to go with an RM series by Corsair. Sorry I should have been more clear, my plan is to remove both of the HDD cages and mount my 2TB in the 5.25" bay.

It seems really good, but do you know if the sticker is removable? I dont like the yellow :/

That's nottin' a little bit of alcohol can't fix!