Microsoft Office Activation

Jimbillroo Digital

Usually each license is only good for a set number of activations, around 3, and you cant activate it beyond that number unless you contact Microsoft or somehow deactivate an activation (otherwise known as deauthorize an authorized device). At least, that's how it used to work IIRC.

On 3/12/2015 at 8:49 PM, Lotus said:

Usually each license is only good for a set number of activations, around 3, and you cant activate it beyond that number unless you contact Microsoft or somehow deactivate an activation (otherwise known as deauthorize an authorized device). At least, that's how it used to work IIRC.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

There should be an option for phone activation, select your country and you'll be given a toll free number to call, you'll have an installation ID which you give them and they'll give you a confirmation ID to activate it, if you get transferred to a real person instead of automatic activation just tell them what happen and they'll help you out.

If it is Office 2013, then he needs to log into his http://www.office.com account (same login credentials as a Microsoft account), then deactivate the license and reinstall it. I've done it plenty of times to my computer and my girlfriends Surface Pro 3. Has worked every time so far.

That depends on whether or not they connected it to a Microsoft account when it was activated, it's not required.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

He did a factory reset on the PC it was originally on, and wants to reinstall it.

If it is Office 2013, then he needs to log into his http://www.office.com account (same login credentials as a Microsoft account), then deactivate the license and reinstall it. I've done it plenty of times to my computer and my girlfriends Surface Pro 3. Has worked every time so far.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I had the same issue. I paid for a legitimate license, and wasn't able to activate the software because I had activated it too many times.

I reformat my PC ALOT, once a month or so. After 3x I had to phone into M$ support and they reset my activation count. After the 3x again I was once again required to phone in. This time they told me they wouldn't reset my activation, even though I was installing it on the same computer every time.

Microsoft Toolkit 2.5.3 solved my problem. Google it

He did a factory reset on the PC it was originally on, and wants to reinstall it.

Factory resets don't do anything to remove licenses. It's basically just like getting a brand new PC and ignores anything that was on it. You never deactivate your license by doing a factory reset. That's the problem.