Gigabyte BIOS feature CPU Overclocking

Hi Guys!

I am manually overclocking my Intel i7-4770k 4.2Ghz @ 1.220V using Gigabyte G.1 Sniper M5 through the BIOS. I am looking for a specific feature in the BIOS like Adaptive Mode (found in some Asus mobo) when my processor clocks down or on idle state, core voltage also decreases, but I am nothing seeing that feature on my mobo. Right now, if my system goes on idle, the CPU core voltage still remains the same 1.220V.

As suggested in the other forum sites, I need to enable [Hyper-Threading Technology], [CPU Enhanced Halt], [C3/C6/C7 State Support] and [CPU EIST Function], so I enabled them all but it doesn't change anything.

Any other suggestions? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

v9fw1Ge.jpg

Hi, this is what it looks like. As you can see, CPU is on idle but core voltage remains 1.220V

bLOGrUy.jpg

at 38:40 i describe how to set adaptive voltage mode on gigabyte boards

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

You set "static" voltage. This means your voltage will never decrease. Adaptive voltage needs to be set. The setting is like, right there in XTU.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

You set "static" voltage. This means your voltage will never decrease. Adaptive voltage needs to be set. The setting is like, right there in XTU.

the marriage between xtu and gigabyte is very poor

if you change the adaptive voltage value in xtu your computer is gonna crash. it doesnt work on gigabyte.

also xtu only works on a software level with gigabyte boards. it does not make changes at the low level \ firmware level. so when you restart the machine the settings are not applied to the bios.  i love xtu but its not the solution for setting adaptive voltage on gigabyte boards.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Maybe that is a good thing :)

if you change the adaptive voltage value in xtu your computer is gonna crash. it doesnt work on gigabyte.

also xtu only works on a software level with gigabyte boards. it does not make changes at the low level \ firmware level. so when you restart the machine the settings are not applied to the bios.  i love xtu but its not the solution for setting adaptive voltage on gigabyte boards.

Well if he can't find the adaptive setting in the gigabyte BIOS or through their utility (if they have one) then that's very stupid for gigabyte boards. XTU is an official and frills-free program; to manually make it incompatible is a terrible idea.

Maybe that is a good thing :)

No, it's really not, especially if he can't find settings in his gigabyte BIOS/util

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Just set your near useless gigjunk bios to optimized default and reboot. Then set your OC back up using only cpu voltage and multi. Then your speed step and C-States should work again. You can then retune as needed. I honestly like having a very stable OC with all the eco junk turned on. And I've only found it to be a issue when I'm reaching for a finale book it bench OC. With all eco junk truned on my 5930k on a MSI Gaming 7 is stable at 4.8ghz On a EK XSPC loop. I default it to 4.5ghz. And my 4790k is stable right now on a entry level gigjunk z97x-sli board at 5.0ghz running naked on a H100i useless AIO. ,,,,, it wont hold the oc for more than 4 hours before it looses capacity. But I default it at 4.8ghz. The 4790K as been stable on a Asus Hero VII at 5.2+ghz custom loop. I can go chilled water or vapor. Just to lazy to mess with it. LN need not apply. That can never be a useful oc.

Gigjunks current bios layout is confusing and all but junk. It is the worse UEFI layout I've ever seen. And the F2 classic bios is as bad as I remember from the old days. I wish Albatros had made it after mad jack left gigjunk. Because I ran some 2.4c's very hard on Albatros boards.

For XTU to work on the firmware level it needs the respective intel module in the BIOS. Besides some people resulting in no post in their system once set there is also the restrictiveness of it and possibly what features Intel would and would not like you to have. ;)

XTU is crap out the box and a waste of the digital domain. To tune, bench or stress with it is,,,, well,,, lame. It's the fat ugly blue smurf lady that promise's the world but does not put out. They should give you a discount on your intel cpu to download that waste of code.

For XTU to work on the firmware level it needs the respective intel module in the BIOS. Besides some people resulting in no post in their system once set there is also the restrictiveness of it and possibly what features Intel would and would not like you to have. ;)

True I suppose, but it still works out to the point that ignoring that module is blah. Especially if OCing must otherwise be done in your BIOS and if you hide/lock features like adaptive voltage. Hell, it looks like his option to enable/disable turbo boost is locked too. That one I don't even understand. For me the only locked setting is reference clock adjustment.

Hi guys! Thank you D2ultima for your idea and thank you guys for all your responses. It seems to be working right now but I am not so sure. I changed from "Static" to "Adaptive" in XTU, one time it crashes, so I rebooted it and and started Windows again, when I checked my core voltage in XTU and CPU-Z on idle mode it is already 0.700 and 1.1860V on full load. I performed a stress test for 10 minutes "it's on adaptive mode now", running on 4.2Ghz @ 1.1860V. Temps are really okay 60-65c. Right now, maybe I should try increasing it to 4.4Ghz and see how far the core voltage goes.

One thing I worry about is that when I run benchmark using XTU, CPU TDP reaches to 100W-110W and it's running 1.250V @ 4.2Ghz which is supposed to be just 85W since that's the TDP of an i7-4770k, but if I just run a stress test in XTU as well as Prime95, CPU TDP just reaches to 70W-85W and running 1.1860V @ 4.2Ghz which I think is normal. Is this normal in Adaptive Mode that reaches to 1.250V, even if I set the voltage manually to 1.220V?

xtu benchmark overvolts in adaptive mode

only run xtu benchmark in manual voltage mode.